Uni of York semester-isation vacation periods

Watch this thread
hamlethoratio
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I recently firmed Uni of York for September 2022 start. I saw on the website that from the academic year 2023/24, the term dates are changing from three 10-week terms to two 16-week semesters.

I didn’t quite understand the vacation periods as the website stated that you would get 2-3 weeks off yet it’s only 11 days for Easter. Are there not any longer vacation periods at all as this seems so short and surely you would get burnt out after 16 weeks with only an 11 day break?

Am I missing something here as this seems quite weird?
hamlethoratio
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
(Original post by hamlethoratio)
Hi,

I recently firmed Uni of York for September 2022 start. I saw on the website that from the academic year 2023/24, the term dates are changing from three 10-week terms to two 16-week semesters.

I didn’t quite understand the vacation periods as the website stated that you would get 2-3 weeks off yet it’s only 11 days for Easter. Are there not any longer vacation periods at all as this seems so short and surely you would get burnt out after 16 weeks with only an 11 day break?

Am I missing something here as this seems quite weird?
YorkUni
econ73
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
At present we have around a month's break for Christmas and Easter, and a bit longer (June to September) for summer. Imo, the breaks are far too long. It makes sense to change it.
hamlethoratio
Rep:
(Original post by econ73)
At present we have around a month's break for Christmas and Easter, and a bit longer (June to September) for summer. Imo, the breaks are far too long. It makes sense to change it.
Oh really? I’m guessing you’re a current york student then, that’s good to know if you think it would be better changed. Thank you

I’m just used to having half terms and stuff at A-Level so it’s a bit daunting doing 16 weeks haha. But I guess you’d get a longer summer!
econ73
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hamlethoratio)
Oh really? I’m guessing you’re a current york student then, that’s good to know if you think it would be better changed. Thank you

I’m just used to having half terms and stuff at A-Level so it’s a bit daunting doing 16 weeks haha. But I guess you’d get a longer summer!
Half terms aren't really a thing at university, you'll not even notice anything! Just stay on top of your work, some people fall behind several weeks even in a 10 week term, you really do not want to fall behind in a 16 week term.

Try and avoid burnout though! Take a wander around campus, visit town at night ... York's a very safe town, and the campus is very safe, nothing to worry about.
hamlethoratio
Rep:
(Original post by econ73)
Half terms aren't really a thing at university, you'll not even notice anything! Just stay on top of your work, some people fall behind several weeks even in a 10 week term, you really do not want to fall behind in a 16 week term.

Try and avoid burnout though! Take a wander around campus, visit town at night ... York's a very safe town, and the campus is very safe, nothing to worry about.
Thank you so much, this is such good advice!
penguingirl18
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I'm curious about this as well. The autumn modules finish after Christmas break, so how is the work broken up? Are the final post-Christmas weeks mostly for exams / finishing coursework?

11 days for Easter does sound really short! Maybe it's just me, but I like longer pauses to reflect on things and refresh my mind. As an international student, the shorter break will make flying in and out around Christmas holidays more difficult.
Last edited by penguingirl18; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (31)
44.93%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads