The Student Room Group

I sat my GCSES in 2019 and got all 9s, ASK ME ANYTHING!

Hi everyone, I achieved all 9s at GCSE and then A*A*A* at alevel. Currently I am an incoming Warwick Economics student , but before that I was a Law student at warwick. if you have any questions about exams, law, economics, or life at warwick/ucas admissions as a whole, feel free to message me or reply to this. Hope to help however I can!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

impressive :smile:
Original post by Sh0ts1
Hi everyone, I achieved all 9s at GCSE and then A*A*A* at alevel. Currently I am a Warwick Economics student , but before that I was a Law student at warwick. if you have any questions about exams, law, economics, or life at warwick/ucas admissions as a whole, feel free to message me or reply to this. Hope to help however I can!

So your A levels are TAGs from 2021? You've changed degree in your first year?
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
So your A levels are TAGs from 2021? You've changed degree in your first year?

correct, i got 90%+ in all my TAGS for mathematics, physics, and economics which i sat in 2021. Then, I went to law school for term 1 and 2, realised it wasnt for me, reapplied to the bsc economics course and will be starting again at year 1 in october!
Reply 4
Original post by aliaa03
impressive :smile:

thank you
Original post by Sh0ts1
Hi everyone, I achieved all 9s at GCSE and then A*A*A* at alevel. Currently I am a Warwick Economics student , but before that I was a Law student at warwick. if you have any questions about exams, law, economics, or life at warwick/ucas admissions as a whole, feel free to message me or reply to this. Hope to help however I can!

How do u get A* in English language? I'm so bad it ? I never understood the way to write in a sophisticated way if ygm
Original post by Sh0ts1
correct, i got 90%+ in all my TAGS for mathematics, physics, and economics which i sat in 2021. Then, I went to law school for term 1 and 2, realised it wasnt for me, reapplied to the bsc economics course and will be starting again at year 1 in october!

You ddn't get any marks for your A levels ... very different from sitting real papers.

You aren't studying Economics now either ... please edit your OP.
Original post by gcseismad
How do u get A* in English language? I'm so bad it ? I never understood the way to write in a sophisticated way if ygm

hi :smile:

i got a 9 in gcse english language back in 2019, i would really recommend trying to complete as many past papers / practise questions as you can under timed conditions as this helps you to get used to the fast pace you need to write at in the actual exams !!

it’s pretty hard to mark english essays as they’re very subjective, so i would hand in any extra work you do to your teacher to mark, and based on their feedback i would write 3 targets to incorporate into your next essay, e.g using a wider range of language devices or even just setting aside 5 minutes at the end to go back and check for any silly spelling mistakes !!

reading books is a fun + easy way to improve your vocabulary and pick up new words that you can use e.g during the 40 mark creative writing essay.

for the anthologies / short texts i would go on youtube and watch videos there as they often have good analytical points or a different perspective to your teacher. always spend a couple of minutes at the beginning of the exam reading through the passage of text and underlining / circling any key words to make sure you don’t miss any small points !!
(edited 1 year ago)
Wow that is really impressive!
Could you do me a favor and read over my creative writing piece and just give some sort of feedback. My language gcse is on tuesday and i'd really appreciate it x
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10ZVxBoQLXNYBBHQ15fEFq-LwNJFL2ADVeC9fnhg4-g4/edit?usp=sharing
Original post by Sh0ts1
Hi everyone, I achieved all 9s at GCSE and then A*A*A* at alevel. Currently I am an incoming Warwick Economics student , but before that I was a Law student at warwick. if you have any questions about exams, law, economics, or life at warwick/ucas admissions as a whole, feel free to message me or reply to this. Hope to help however I can!

first of all well done!!
for english lang q5 descriptive writing how do you get ideas to describe the pic?
and for english lit which structure did u use for essays?
Reply 10
Original post by set1xoxo
first of all well done!!
for english lang q5 descriptive writing how do you get ideas to describe the pic?
and for english lit which structure did u use for essays?

thank you!
in terms of ur first question, I didnt have to describe a photo. I did OCR A eng lang so the question youre asking about didnt appear for me.
In terms of essays, we had a few different essays so if you can describe what essay question youre asking about i could perhaps provide more useful feedback!
ahh righht im sure the structure for essays will be different too since its aqa not OCR but its regarding an inspector calls, christmas carol and macbeth 30 and 34 markers
Why did you decide Warwick?
Reply 13
You ddn't get any marks for your A levels ... very different from sitting real papers.

You aren't studying Economics now either ... please edit your OP.

You're only as good as what's infront of you.
If there wasn't any exams he/she didn't sit any exams. It is indeed incredibly different and grade inflation is real. But what was he/she meant to do be born three years earlier.
Stop discrediting things let people be
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by oci9

Yes but read the OP again - it's misleading. I don;t think people who didn;t sit 'real' exams and in a good position to give advice to those who are.
Why did you switch from law to econ?
Reply 16
Original post by Eigenvectorxyz
Well, the truth is that your GCSEs and A-Levels become irrelevant anyway when you get a degree and when you get your first job, so it doesn't really matter. It is definitely an achievement to get all 9s and A*s, but as you've said the grade inflation exists. There's too many students getting A*s, As and 9s, so it kind of loses its value. What's more important is if you're able to use your grades to progress in the career. If you're getting 9s and A*s and then work in a warehouse/retail picking up and putting down boxes, then what's even the point or if you don't have passion for anything and end up changing courses like the OP did and you don't know what you want to do in life. Like, congratulations, you got all A*s, but what's next?

Completely agree to a extent I'm at uni now. And yes no one has asked me an ounce of what I got in my GCSEs . But disagree with the a level statement I'm always asked when applying to internships
Or grad roles. And I agree but it's not like op is going to a non target uni Warwick is an elite uni. And as for switching sometimes it's necessary you don't wanna be unhappy and then end out with a poor degree. I can assure you not many people coming out of Warwick with a law or a econ degree are picking up boxes for a living. Those a levels will follow you around forever and inflation is real so would you rather underachieve and stick out like a sore thumb or get good grades and be with the rest of the crowd.
Reply 17
Original post by oci9
If there wasn't any exams he/she didn't sit any exams. It is indeed incredibly different and grade inflation is real. But what was he/she meant to do be born three years earlier.
Stop discrediting things let people be

Hi Oci,
Thank you for this post, I appreciate this.
Reply 18
Yes but read the OP again - it's misleading. I don;t think people who didn;t sit 'real' exams and in a good position to give advice to those who are.

You state im not in a good position to give advice for exams since i didnt sit real exams... re-read the thread... i opened this to help those doing their gcses... I did my GCSEs in 2019 meaning , i did sit "real " exams and thus I felt as tho i could be of help?
Im not on here to give Alevel advice, im on here to give GCSE advice which given I did sit 20+ GCSE exams scoring over 90% in 7 of my subjects, im sure I am in a "good position to give advice", or do you have a problem with that too?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sh0ts1

hey this is really impressive! If you don't mind could you look at my creative writing piece and give some sort of feedback please, I'd really appreciate it
The Stars
“Grandad!” I screamed at the top of my lungs, probably waking up the neighbours, whilst I ran as fast as my little legs could carry me. He lifted me up to the shining stars and held me in his arms for what felt like eternity. I felt safe. Our flight had landed in the depths of the night but I wasn't tired. How could I be? Visiting my grandad is always my favourite thing to do, I only see him once a year but those few days are the best days ever. However, it’s bittersweet because in the back of my mind the days are always coming closer to when we have to go back home and I have to leave him once again. The wind was blowing in my face as it brushed my hair behind me and it was almost poison to my eyes as it made them water. The trees in front of the house were dancing and waving as they welcomed me back after a long year. Despite the hairs standing up on my arms and my teeth chattering at 100 miles per hour, I still wasn’t cold. How could I be? In the arms of my grandad I was filled with warmth and love which was stronger than any cold and bitter weather. He hesitantly let go of me as he led me into the house and brought in the rest of the luggage. Oh and my parents and sister were there too of course, but i’ll always be his favourite hence why he hugged me first. Once we got inside we talked for ages, even the sun had arrived to welcome the day. We had so much to catch up on that we didn’t even realise how long it had been. I mean we did call each other everyday but it was never the same as this.

Oh I recognised that smell from miles away. Pancakes! Not just any pancakes, no it was my grandads pancakes. They were the best and no one could tell me otherwise. The sweet smell filled my nose, my mouth watered as I licked my lips. Oh I couldn’t wait to eat these. I think I could eat every single one if I'm being honest. I went to the kitchen as quickly as I could and sat down on the already set table. I could hear the knives and forks clashing with one another as my grandad began to plate up. My grandad came over and the stack of pancakes was probably taller than me! “Thank you so much!” I exclaimed as half a pancake was already in my mouth. I cannot put into words how good these are.

Today was our last day together. I always hated this day. I could see my grandad trying to hide his pain as he put on a smile so we could enjoy this last day. I was also holding back tears, I didn’t want to end this trip on a bad note. We went to our favourite spot, where we would always go when we needed to get away from the rest of the family. He held my hand as we walked over the bridge, which was probably going against every health and safety law ever created but I wasn’t scared. I felt safe. The birds' sad songs filled my ears and the lake was dancing to a slow song as it too waved goodbye. It was like nature could sense I was going back home today. “Cheer up sweetie, 365 days and we’ll see eachother again.” I sighed. 365 days was too long of a wait, each year it always becomes harder and harder to say goodbye. The sun started to wave goodbye which meant it was time.

I slowly stepped out of the car as we got to the airport which a few days ago I was so excited to see. My grandad embraced me in the biggest hug but this time it didn’t feel like eternity, it just felt like loss. I don’t know why I felt like this. This time felt different, but I’m only 10 years old, so what do I know?

“I’ll be there as soon as I can, I promise!”
Endless thoughts were racing through my mind as I wished this plane to fly faster. I was on the edge of my seat. I couldn’t sit still. My cheeks had no skin left from my non stop biting. My leg was bouncing uncontrollably. People around me probably thought I was on something with how jumpy I was. What felt like an eternity I finally got out of the plane and the car was patiently waiting for me already. We sped through the roads, past all the red lights that meant nothing today and all I could think was, “I’m too late.” I don’t know what I was expecting when I got the call this morning on the way to school, but it for sure wasn’t anything like this. After a few minutes I arrived. I was welcomed by an empty road. The trees were still and the birds were no longer singing. Part of me knew what I was going to see when I walked through the doors. The other part had some hope. I swung open the front door. I was too late. My breath stopped. My heart was ripped out from my chest and broken into a million different pieces. I froze. I had never felt anything like this in my life. My body went numb. My vision went blurry. I didn’t realise when my bag had dropped to the floor until I did too. This couldn’t be happening. I was never going to feel safe in anyone’s arms again. No one is going to make me laugh as much as I did before. Pancakes would never taste the same. His laugh kept playing like a broken record ringing in my ears. A part of me was taken at this moment. I felt lost. Everything started to move slow yet so fast at the same time. It wasn’t supposed to end like this. He was supposed to see me graduate. He was supposed to see me get married. He was going to love his great grandkids. All of that was stolen from us. I couldn’t believe what was in front of me. I felt drained. My whole life had been sucked out of me. Now he was in the stars. I screamed at the top of my lungs, waking up all the neighbours as I ran as fast as my legs could carry me to his bed. “Grandad!”

Quick Reply

Latest