The Student Room Group

curious about retakes

hey there! i wanted to ask how retaking as levels happens.

currently im pretty sure i'll have to do biology as level once again since im not confident i'll get an A.

1) i would only have to do the as level i want to retake right? not all the other subjects i've done right?

2) would i be able to do it during november of this year or would i have to wait till may of next year when im also doing my a2 levels?

3) how does it look in the report card? would it be in a separate report all alone or would my original report card be updated with the new as level grade?

4) if anyone has done a retake, is it hard to adjust? as you'll be having to revise both as level and a2 level portions? do you have any tips on how to balance them out?

thank you in advance!

edit: im doing international as levels and all of my subjects are CAIE!
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi I’m not 100% sure on this but I’ll try to help as best I can:

1) yes I’m pretty sure you can choose how many and which as levels to retake so you should be able to just do the biology. But definitely check with your school as policies could differ. I’m sure you’re aware this would mean you’re at your school for an extra year though.

2) November exams took place recently due to covid and no exams last summer so I’m not sure if there will be any this year. Again you’d have to wait and see for this and check with the school/centre if you can take it in November instead.

I’m unsure about report card perhaps they would all be on the same one since it is the same student?

4) I’m retaking my A levels (AS and A2 combined) so I can’t really say for your situation. However I would imagine it will be difficult either way as it’s still 3 subjects (or 4 however many you take). But I would advise that you make sure you don’t neglect your AS level to focus on the A2 exams and vice versa.

Hope I helped a bit good luck :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Nairbear
Hi I’m not 100% sure on this but I’ll try to help as best I can:

1) yes I’m pretty sure you can choose how many and which as levels to retake so you should be able to just do the biology. But definitely check with your school as policies could differ. I’m sure you’re aware this would mean you’re at your school for an extra year though.

2) November exams took place recently due to covid and no exams last summer so I’m not sure if there will be any this year. Again you’d have to wait and see for this and check with the school/centre if you can take it in November instead.

I’m unsure about report card perhaps they would all be on the same one since it is the same student?

4) I’m retaking my A levels (AS and A2 combined) so I can’t really say for your situation. However I would imagine it will be difficult either way as it’s still 3 subjects (or 4 however many you take). But I would advise that you make sure you don’t neglect your AS level to focus on the A2 exams and vice versa.

Hope I helped a bit good luck :smile:

thank you so much for the answers!! one question though, what do you mean by having to do an "extra year"? do you mean as in i'd have to do one more year after year 13 (currently in 12) or is that extra year you mentioned is year 13?
Original post by VenusU
thank you so much for the answers!! one question though, what do you mean by having to do an "extra year"? do you mean as in i'd have to do one more year after year 13 (currently in 12) or is that extra year you mentioned is year 13?

So because you’re in y12, when you enter y13 you’d be taking A2 in your other subjects and the AS in biology. You’d have to stay a year after to finish the A2 in biology (May be different if November exams go ahead + I’m assuming you want to complete full biology course). But this is how it worked at my school when we had AS levels, so you’d be leaving school a year later than the people in your current year. I also imagine this would affect when you send university application if you intend to go but ask your sixth form department to be sure on everything. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Nairbear
So because you’re in y12, when you enter y13 you’d be taking A2 in your other subjects and the AS in biology. You’d have to stay a year after to finish the A2 in biology (May be different if November exams go ahead + I’m assuming you want to complete full biology course). But this is how it worked at my school when we had AS levels, so you’d be leaving school a year later than the people in your current year. I also imagine this would affect when you send university application if you intend to go but ask your sixth form department to be sure on everything. :smile:

oh what!! i thought i'd be able to do them all together since i've seen some people do them all in year 13 and none in year 12? i'll definitely ask my head of year about it! thank you again!
Original post by VenusU
oh what!! i thought i'd be able to do them all together since i've seen some people do them all in year 13 and none in year 12? i'll definitely ask my head of year about it! thank you again!

I mean this summer I’m assuming you would take your AS exams. Then if you don’t do well in biology you will take the AS exam again next year then the A2 exam the year after. But yes definitely clarify with your school I could be wrong!! And no problem :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by VenusU
hey there! i wanted to ask how retaking as levels happens.

currently im pretty sure i'll have to do biology as level once again since im not confident i'll get an A.

1) i would only have to do the as level i want to retake right? not all the other subjects i've done right?

2) would i be able to do it during november of this year or would i have to wait till may of next year when im also doing my a2 levels?

3) how does it look in the report card? would it be in a separate report all alone or would my original report card be updated with the new as level grade?

4) if anyone has done a retake, is it hard to adjust? as you'll be having to revise both as level and a2 level portions? do you have any tips on how to balance them out?

thank you in advance!

My guess is that you are taking international A levels. You really ought to make that clear in your posts as most people on TSR are UK students and the domestic A level system here is very different. There are even some important differences between Pearson/Edexcel IAL and those from CAIE.

AS resits were always very common back in the time when ALL A levels were modular. International A levels are still modular meaning you can retake one or more unit exams in your choice of subject(s) during any exam period they are offered. Ideally you would not do them at the same time as A2 to make balancing workload easier. You would revise the material at your own pace alongside study for the A2 exams.

The examiners would issue new results and potentially (if you have 'cashed in' the AS results) new certificates only for the AS subjects you retake. This could mean you have multiple AS certificates for the same subject. If applying to UK universities you would be required to declare both the original AS result and the new one in your UCAS application. How your 'report card' might look is something you would have to ask your school.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by gdunne42
My guess is that you are taking international A levels. You really ought to make that clear in your posts as most people on TSR are UK students and the domestic A level system here is very different. There are even some important differences between Pearson/Edexcel IAL and those from CAIE.

AS resits were always very common back in the time when ALL A levels were modular. International A levels are still modular meaning you can retake one or more unit exams in your choice of subject(s) during any exam period they are offered. Ideally you would not do them at the same time as A2 to make balancing workload easier. You would revise the material at your own pace alongside study for the A2 exams.

The examiners would issue new results and potentially (if you have 'cashed in' the AS results) new certificates only for the AS subjects you retake. This could mean you have multiple AS certificates for the same subject. If applying to UK universities you would be required to declare both the original AS result and the new one in your UCAS application. How your 'report card' might look is something you would have to ask your school.

ah yes i am! i apologise i wasn't aware it was different :frown: thank you so much for the clarification!! i'll edit the main post to mention it
Original post by VenusU
ah yes i am! i apologise i wasn't aware it was different :frown: thank you so much for the clarification!! i'll edit the main post to mention it

No need for apology, just you'll get better answers if you mention it. If you are doing Cambridge their resit and carry forward rules are a bit complicated and I'm not qualified to advise so chat with someone expert. Teachers aren't always knowledgeable about the details - your exams person at school should be.

Quick Reply

Latest