The Student Room Group

Extra time and reader

I got told by the school that I need extra time and a reader the thing is with extra time I finish all my exams on time as the other kids without extra time.I don’t need a reader I can read perfectly fine even though English isn’t my first language I can read really well by the time In year 3 I was already a free reader and didn’t have to read books from my school. When I asked the teacher why do I have to have a reader she said scientific purposes’ what purposes??? I clearly don’t need one and can read by myself as I have when I was already 4 years old!! I don’t need all this support when I was in year 4 I wrote 4 pages of writing. And I’m clearly not behind I don’t have an illness or a disability when I had the test I wrote so much and clearly the teachers just want random kids to go and go to their precious room. That’s the reason I’m not going back their next year because I can proof I don’t need a reader or extra time. When I was applying for sixth form/ college I didn’t say I need extra time which is 25%(10 minutes I think) I asked my mum and she even said I don’t have a disability or anything so I don’t get she didn’t even give permission for the school to asses me and they still did It behind her back.
Original post by Paula_23_2006
I got told by the school that I need extra time and a reader the thing is with extra time I finish all my exams on time as the other kids without extra time.I don’t need a reader I can read perfectly fine even though English isn’t my first language I can read really well by the time In year 3 I was already a free reader and didn’t have to read books from my school. When I asked the teacher why do I have to have a reader she said scientific purposes’ what purposes??? I clearly don’t need one and can read by myself as I have when I was already 4 years old!! I don’t need all this support when I was in year 4 I wrote 4 pages of writing. And I’m clearly not behind I don’t have an illness or a disability when I had the test I wrote so much and clearly the teachers just want random kids to go and go to their precious room. That’s the reason I’m not going back their next year because I can proof I don’t need a reader or extra time. When I was applying for sixth form/ college I didn’t say I need extra time which is 25%(10 minutes I think) I asked my mum and she even said I don’t have a disability or anything so I don’t get she didn’t even give permission for the school to asses me and they still did It behind her back.

Lot's of people need a bit of support to help them overcome an issue and perform well in exams. It would be strange for a school to arrange these things if you don't need them. Providing a reader is very expensive for them and if this is for real GCSEs then they have to have evidence to show to exams inspectors that you qualify for this support. If this is before your GCSEs then maybe they think you might need this support in the future when things get harder. Unless you have always had it available then it's hard to put it in place when you do need it. Your parents should ask the school for a proper explanation.

If you don't need this support you don't have to use it. Don't use the extra time and politely tell your reader that you don't need them to read anything for you.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Paula_23_2006

Needing or being given extra time doesn’t mean that you’re not intelligent or that you can’t write correctly Lot’s of very intelligent people ( doctors/ vets/ lawyers) have found out that they are dyslexic whilst at uni or even later. Their intelligence has enabled them to put coping mechanisms in place that to most people hide their disability. Their excellent visual memory enables them to spell correctly as long as it’s a word they’ve come across before, but they are unable to guess the spelling of a «* non word*».But all of this comes at a cost in terms of fatigue and strain on the eyes. Reading long texts in a time pressured environment sometimes means that a dyslexic student will miss vital information or will take slightly longer to complete the task which leaves less time to do the questions placing them at a disadvantage.
Maybe you don’t have a problem, but maybe you have a condition that for the moment isn’t a problem but could become one later. If a teacher has spotted something despite your good school results, rather than be offended be flattered that they think you could do even better with some extra time. They might know that you don’t need it now but the earlier it’s put in place the better. Putting something in place at the last moment for A levels is always more stressful than if it had been done early just in case.

Quick Reply

Latest