The Student Room Group

Higher Physics

Hi, does anyone know what questions I should specifically focus on answering for the Higher Physics Exam, to get just a pass, so 50%. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
I am only doing Nat 5 physics right now but id expect focussing on calculations is your best bet
Reply 2
Original post by chans02
Hi, does anyone know what questions I should specifically focus on answering for the Higher Physics Exam, to get just a pass, so 50%. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

I don't know if this will help much, but if you go onto the sqa site and search for Higher Physics and look at the support for 2022 learners guide, it tells you some helpful stuff. Def recommend using the help given to us this year as much as you can because some subjects have a lot of help, such as higher business, SQA posted literally what's in the exam and it's all just about memorizing those specific parts.
Reply 3
Original post by Wiki77
I don't know if this will help much, but if you go onto the sqa site and search for Higher Physics and look at the support for 2022 learners guide, it tells you some helpful stuff. Def recommend using the help given to us this year as much as you can because some subjects have a lot of help, such as higher business, SQA posted literally what's in the exam and it's all just about memorizing those specific parts.

Hi, the SQA physics revision help for 2022 was literally no help. And I am not even kidding. Thanks for answering though.
Reply 4
Original post by chans02

As someone said, calculations.
Here are some of the ones I have seen come up a lot (I am studying higher this year, and have done most of the past papers since 1990)

do as many past papers as possible!! They have been known to copy and paste some of the older questions into the new past papers

- particle acceleration
- tension
- suvat
- redshift (the one with the wavelengths)
- refraction (easy enough to understand and also is worth like 10 marks sometimes)
- capacitor energy and storage
- memorise band theory for LEDS and Solar Panels
- F = ma
- look at the specification sheet! Anything that says ‘knowledge that’, you should memorise. Then you can say it word for word and do it in the exam

What do you generally struggle with? Calculations? Understanding the concepts? Knowledge and memorisation? - this can help you target your revision

use flashcards for definitions (I recommend anki or Quizlet, anki uses spaced repetition but we dont have much time so I dont think the ones you choose matter too much)

make sure you know all of the use cases for the formulas, you get a mark for just writing them
attempt every questionn(except open ended, leave them until the end), there is no negative marking so you will be grand.
For multiple choice, eliminate the incorrect answers if there’s one you’re unsure about.
The course spec tells you everything you are expected to know (and therefore what they might ask you). If you Google "SQA Higher Physics course specification" you should find it.

One strategy to get by could be to look through that and focus on the areas you're strongest at, and not worry so much about weaker areas, but look through them at least.

There's tons of good stuff on the Mrs Physics website, and also some good content from Scotland Physics teachers on YouTube.

I'd endorse the past paper recommendation too. Get the marking instructions as well so you know how you did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending