What are lectures really like? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Noel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
This may seem like a stupid question, but I don't really know the answer. Are they like in "Legally Blonde" where the lecturers question you on the spot, or do they just speak, write, give a presentation on information? Do they give you notes on the subject or handouts?? :confused:
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In mine they tend to just speak and some times they ask questions but never specificaly towards a person (Although they do in tutorials). They usualy give you handouts as well.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Most lecturers walk around and talk.
Evil Muffin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In mine, they just speak. They can be dull depending on the subject we're studying that week and the charisma of the lecturers.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Some lecturers will have handouts on the website instead of handing out in paper (waste of few hundred pieces of paper). Some might ask you questions on the sopt, rarely happens though.
granddad_bob
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
all our lecture notes are on the intranet which makes life a lot easier. the quality varies dramatically, somedays they may be interesting, others they'll seems like a complete waste of time.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In some cases, lecture notes on uni's website makes students don't want to go to lectures. They just print off the notes from the website, and stick them into their binders.
veryjammy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Lectures are basically being talked to for an hour. If any questions were asked they would ask for volunteers.It's not like Legally Blonde - that sort of questioning is more in the Tutorials, although even those are very light on questioning in my experience
trev
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Also, you usually ask questions at the end of the lecture and not during the lecture.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Lectures are pretty standard with just a powerpoint presentation, handouts provided and room to make supplementary notes on the side.

Occasionally a weird lecturer comes along though :d One of my favs was a random professor who used to wander around the lecture theatre with a giant wooden pointy stick with which he used to shove infront of our faces and ask questions at random :rolleyes:

All of them seem to be following a trend of asking students questions during the lectures - when well it end?
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by veryjammy)
If any questions were asked they would ask for volunteers
Ha! Speak for yourself
granddad_bob
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by trev)
In some cases, lecture notes on uni's website makes students don't want to go to lectures. They just print off the notes from the website, and stick them into their binders.
i know. good, isn't it! :p:
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
All of them seem to be following a trend of asking students questions during the lectures - when well it end?
Awww, bless! I've never been asked a question in a lecture! Occasionally they direct one at the audience and if you know the answer and are feeling brave you shout out (I don't, very often), but they never ever pick on people. Supervisions are very different on that front.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Awww, bless! I've never been asked a question in a lecture! Occasionally they direct one at the audience and if you know the answer and are feeling brave you shout out (I don't, very often), but they never ever pick on people. Supervisions are very different on that front.
i don't think i'll ever have the guts to shout out (not even if my teeny matsh lecture of 30)... it has been the forfiet of a bet though

lou xxx
hallucination
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I found most of my lectures very boring...I think it was mainly because I was doing Computer Science though - there were so many people on my course that the lectures were very impersonal and you really could fall asleep without anyone noticing. My concentration definitely improved when my lectures were timetabled in smaller lecture theatres. Anyway, back to the original question; A lecture is basically like a lesson at school although it's with a lot more people and you are expected to make your own notes. Ultra-organised lecturers sometimes provide handouts, but I found this to be quite a rarity on my course.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.29%
They might tell the bully (17)
10.69%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
17.61%
It might lead to more bullying (60)
37.74%
There's nothing they could do (44)
27.67%

Watched Threads