any happy medical students/doctors here?

Watch this thread
jan33
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
another day of volunteering at the hospital done, my last one as I've left to focus on my exams. another day of doctors telling me to get out while I can, but with extra emphasis as it's the last time I'll see them.

just really need some motivation
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by jan33)
another day of volunteering at the hospital done, my last one as I've left to focus on my exams. another day of doctors telling me to get out while I can, but with extra emphasis as it's the last time I'll see them.

I'm happy
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by jan33)

Overall I'm happy, but I'm past the stereotypically rubbish parts of my career. I also try not to be too idealistic which helps. A little idealism is fine, but there needs to be a healthy dose of realism too.

Maybe I'm just old?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I'm happy! I'm past the really tough years though. Would rather not be doing nights in my late 30s but that's about all I can complain about.
wwwilson
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jan33)

Why are they telling you to get out whilst you can? This makes me not want to take up my offer. I already had doubts about slogging through medical school and foundation training (would finish FY2 at 40 years old). Makes me think it's just not worth it.
jan33
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by wwwilson)
Why are they telling you to get out whilst you can? This makes me not want to take up my offer. I already had doubts about slogging through medical school and foundation training (would finish FY2 at 40 years old). Makes me think it's just not worth it.
a lot of doctors are just really unhappy with their jobs. if you really want to see unhappy doctors, take a peek on the junior doctors reddit, but don't spend too long on there, and take everything with a pinch of salt or it will really depress you lol. and don't forget a lot of doctors are also very happy with their jobs, just like in every career. and it's okay not to love your job. it's labour it's not necessarily meant to be fun

peoples main grievances are naturally about pay and conditions. Being from a poorer background, the pay sounds amazing to me, but I can understand how many doctors feel a bit short changed graduating at 23/24/25 with so much debt on to a 30k ish salary, which takes another decade or so to get to 100k, especially when many doctors are from wealthier backgrounds, and there's working nightshifts, weekends well in to your older years depending on specialty. I've also heard getting time off can be insanely hard. You're entitled to your 4 or so weeks annual leave, but actually getting to use that can be a mission, not like other jobs where you just put a request in. One of the doctors I volunteer with had to miss his best friends wedding, even though he requested it off months in advance. By the sounds of it a lot of hospitals have quite a toxic work environment too, with *****y colleagues, and gossip (though that's far from unique to medicine, the supermarket I worked at was far far far more gossipy than any year of secondary school haha)

as one doctor put it to me "the passion fades away quickly, when it's 2am, you're only halfway through your 12 hour shift, you haven't eaten or been to the toilet because you don't have time, and a drunk homeless man has just peed on you for the second time, after a string of racist remarks."

I don't know what I'm gonna do lol, I'm pretty sure I missed my offer, so know I'm faced with resitting chemistry ( 🤮 ) taking a gap year and reapplying , or doing something else entirely.
Last edited by jan33; 1 month ago
RosaPonselle
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
There's a lot of unhappy trainees/GPs/Consultants at the moment. The NHS is struggling for a lot of reasons and it's demoralising for the staff medical and non medical to have to come in on a daily basis to a crappy work environment. Honestly, I'm still more positive than negative but my advice to a lot of trainees at the moment is get your degree and move elsewhere (though not so good if you are attached to your family in the UK of course). I have lots of cousins in the US/Canada/Australia who did their training here and moved who tell me the working environment in those countries is a lot less toxic with much less oversight. There's no revalidation/appraisal/portfolios to keep up with. None of the endless micromanagement and slavish adherence to protocols (though some standardisation is a good thing admittedly). There's better pay (and sometimes better weather!). Lots of reasons to move before you start your family!
Last edited by RosaPonselle; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (31)
18.02%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (44)
25.58%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (87)
50.58%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (10)
5.81%

Watched Threads