The Student Room Group

I feel like I'm going to do really bad in my dissertation

So I feel really bad about my dissertation. I received feedback from my supervisor on one draft and it was full of comments telling me that some things were just incorrect and also full of irrelevant stuff which don't really follow the assignment brief. Although my supervisor said she thought it was an an excellent draft and although things were written in the wrong sections, they were generally well-written. But I feel like she would say this to everyone because she is just being nice so I don't know? I feel like it's just a bunch of unnecessary waffle to meet the word count.
So I have acted on all of her feedback as best as I could and I also sent a copy to the academic study skills department at my university 3 days before the deadline and once again they have told me that I need to explain my points more although I really don't know what else to do because I hate my topic and I feel so restricted in what I can talk about because my hypothesis is so specific.
I have calculated that I need a mark above 59 in the dissertation in order to graduate with a 1st overall? Anything less than a high 2:2/low 2:1 and I wont get a 1st.
Do you think it is still possible to get a 1st (above 59) with the feedback I've been getting?
How bad would it have to be to get a 2:2?
Trust me your supervisor is being honest with you. Her job is to get the best work out of you. That is one of the reasons she took her job to help others in her field. Also, I'm not sure what course you're on but for me, if my dissertation can be published my supervisor's name goes in as one of the authors meaning she wants it to be good.

If you have given her a draft, I'm assuming start to finish, that is seriously great! No one writes a brilliant well-written dissertation in one go/first time round (it just doesn't happen) and you have good feedback so this is even better that you've acted on. Many people with successful dissertations do a lot of rewriting and reworking which sounds like you have done.
Original post by BiomedStudent3
Trust me your supervisor is being honest with you. Her job is to get the best work out of you. That is one of the reasons she took her job to help others in her field. Also, I'm not sure what course you're on but for me, if my dissertation can be published my supervisor's name goes in as one of the authors meaning she wants it to be good.

If you have given her a draft, I'm assuming start to finish, that is seriously great! No one writes a brilliant well-written dissertation in one go/first time round (it just doesn't happen) and you have good feedback so this is even better that you've acted on. Many people with successful dissertations do a lot of rewriting and reworking which sounds like you have done.

I'm doing Biomedical Science but It's at a low ranked uni and believe me it is nothing like publishable material. I just took it as a long essay and my statistical analysis section is so weak with just scatter graphs cause I didn't have much data. I applied for a 7-day extension and everytime I read over it, I just keep doubting what I've written and I keep finding loads of mistakes.
But thank you for your nice comments though.
Original post by Anonymous
So I feel really bad about my dissertation. I received feedback from my supervisor on one draft and it was full of comments telling me that some things were just incorrect and also full of irrelevant stuff which don't really follow the assignment brief. Although my supervisor said she thought it was an an excellent draft and although things were written in the wrong sections, they were generally well-written. But I feel like she would say this to everyone because she is just being nice so I don't know? I feel like it's just a bunch of unnecessary waffle to meet the word count.
So I have acted on all of her feedback as best as I could and I also sent a copy to the academic study skills department at my university 3 days before the deadline and once again they have told me that I need to explain my points more although I really don't know what else to do because I hate my topic and I feel so restricted in what I can talk about because my hypothesis is so specific.
I have calculated that I need a mark above 59 in the dissertation in order to graduate with a 1st overall? Anything less than a high 2:2/low 2:1 and I wont get a 1st.
Do you think it is still possible to get a 1st (above 59) with the feedback I've been getting?

Hey,

As long as you act on the feedback then I think it's definitely possible!

It might be worth doing a face to face meeting with the academic skills department (if you haven't already) and going through it together, they might be able to prompt you or ask questions that might get you thinking on ways you can expand; or arrange a meeting with your supervisor and try to do something similar.

When they say explain your points more, could you be more critical? Could you offer alternative suggestions to why you got your results? Could you go in to more detail about the implications of your results - both positive and negative? Could you discuss more about how it supports or conflicts with current research or literature in your area? Having a very specific hypothesis doesn't mean you have to be restricted, it just means you have to be extra create with how you discuss things and connect their relevancy to your research. One thing that could help is doing a mind map maybe? Put your hypothesis in the middle then brainstorm all of the area's that connect to it or are relevant and use that to help you go in to more detail.

It's definitely do-able, especially if you're getting relevant feedback. It was a really good idea to apply for the extension. Maybe you need a day away from your dissertation to clear your mind, then look at it with a fresh pair of eyes, correct the mistakes, expand where you can and have a look at the marking criteria so you aim for the grade you need to!

I hope this helps☺️
All the best with things.
- Rebecca, 3rd Year Psychology Student
I'm doing Biomedical Science but It's at a low ranked uni and believe me it is nothing like publishable material. I just took it as a long essay and my statistical analysis section is so weak with just scatter graphs cause I didn't have much data. I applied for a 7-day extension and everytime I read over it, I just keep doubting what I've written and I keep finding loads of mistakes.
But thank you for your nice comments though.

Currently, I need to get a 75% (I've really messed up with my poser) in my dissertation in order to get a first overall and I'm only halfway through it and It's due in less than two weeks (that's with a short extension. So, I feel your pain about a tight deadline and work feeling insurmountable).

However, I've gotten at least a first overall, in all but one, of my modules this year so If you need to get 59% to get a first overall then it must mean you're a pretty strong student/studyer so I think it's likely you're doing better than you think. In addition, I felt doubt like you have described over assignments that I end doing pretty well and if the best I've done in.

Also to play devil's advocate I had a lecturer tell us about a piece of research that found in Biomed (what we both study) that only about 10% of published literature is actually of quality. Sadly, although for you, fortunately, a lot of it is about how you spin what you write not the strength of the science.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending