The Student Room Group

firm and insurance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Admit-One
Quickest way is just to call the uni and ask them.

They asked to provide a new personal statement so is it better to apply in clearing since they may not ask for one?

Just don’t have time currently to write a completely new personal statement since it’s so much to write
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 21
If you have already firmed and insured but want to go through Extra is that possible?
Reply 22
They'll have access to your original statement automatically. If they need a subject specific one, they ask for it. You can always contact them and offer to provide one if needs be.

If you apply to certain university on Extra and they say they don’t want you can you ask the other universities that had given you an offer to take you back on?
Original post by ala_8
They asked to provide a new personal statement so is it better to apply in clearing since they may not ask for one?

The course may not be available in clearing. Better to apply now, at least you know it’s considering applications.
Original post by ala_8
If you have already firmed and insured but want to go through Extra is that possible?

Yes, but assuming it’s been more than 14 days since you made your choices then you’ll need to ask both unis if they’ll be okay with swapping your replies to declines so that you can use extra.

You can also ask them if they might give you another offer via Extra if needs be.

If this all sounds like a bit of a faff, it’s because Extra isn’t designed for people with offers to shop around.
Reply 25
Yes, but assuming it’s been more than 14 days since you made your choices then you’ll need to ask both unis if they’ll be okay with swapping your replies to declines so that you can use extra.

You can also ask them if they might give you another offer via Extra if needs be.

If this all sounds like a bit of a faff, it’s because Extra isn’t designed for people with offers to shop around.

Would the university that had gave me an offer originally be likely to accept me back through Extra if the other one doesn’t accept?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ala_8
Would the university that had gave me an offer originally be likely to accept me back through Extra if the other one doesn’t accept?

I can’t answer that, as it depends on how many offers they’ve made versus their target. You’d have to ask them directly.
Reply 27
I can’t answer that, as it depends on how many offers they’ve made versus their target. You’d have to ask them directly.

do you know if you apply for an university in Extra do they always accept you?
Reply 28
Just don’t know whether it’s worth the risk
Original post by ala_8
do you know if you apply for an university in Extra do they always accept you?

They can still reject you. They’re likely to be more picky about who they accept than during clearing. But as above, the course may not be available then.

Unless I’m missing something, you’re only worried about losing your insurance choice, right? You don’t want to attend your firm?
Reply 30
They can still reject you. They’re likely to be more picky about who they accept than during clearing. But as above, the course may not be available then.

Unless I’m missing something, you’re only worried about losing your insurance choice, right? You don’t want to attend your firm?

I am unsure whether to attend the universities that have given me offers so that’s why I wanted to go through Extra and I’m not interested in the course I had applied so I asked one of the universities to change it which they did but I’m unsure whether to go there.
Original post by ala_8
I am unsure whether to attend the universities that have given me offers so that’s why I wanted to go through Extra and I’m not interested in the course I had applied so I asked one of the universities to change it which they did but I’m unsure whether to go there.

If you’re that uncertain about both the Uni and course, I don’t think you’re risking that much by shopping around a bit in Extra. Worst case, you end up in clearing and then if that doesn’t shake out, you have a gap year to work out what you actually want to do.
Reply 32
If you’re that uncertain about both the Uni and course, I don’t think you’re risking that much by shopping around a bit in Extra. Worst case, you end up in clearing and then if that doesn’t shake out, you have a gap year to work out what you actually want to do.

Wait so if no one accepts you in Extra how do they put you in clearing?
Original post by ala_8
Wait so if no one accepts you in Extra how do they put you in clearing?

You’re automatically in clearing if you’re not holding an offer when it starts.
Reply 34
You’re automatically in clearing if you’re not holding an offer when it starts.

can you apply through Extra for the university that had given you an offer for the same course on UCAS through Extra again if some other university doesn’t accept you on Extra?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ala_8
can you apply through Extra for the university that had given you an offer for the same course on UCAS through Extra again if some other university doesn’t accept you on Extra?

If the course is still considering Extra apps, yes.
Reply 36
If the course is still considering Extra apps, yes.

Oh so you can apply to the university that had given you an offer on UCAS through Extra but for a different course?
Reply 37
sorry about the questions
Original post by ala_8
Oh so you can apply to the university that had given you an offer on UCAS through Extra but for a different course?

Yes, you can apply for any course that is open to Extra apps. Even if you applied to the same uni either in the main cycle, or earlier in Extra.
Original post by ala_8
sorry about the questions

Not a problem.
Original post by ala_8

If its a course at one of your 'existing' Unis you dont need to apply through Extra - just email/phone that Uni and ask about a course switch.
If they can't offer you the other course, you will still have your original offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending