The Student Room Group

Chemistry or biomedical science

I'm stuck between the 2
I'm gonna go to Manchester univeristy but idk which 1 to firm
Chemistry opens more options...if u change ur mind u could go into finance, computing etc
With biomed, I wanna do the nhs scientific training programme specifically for haeamolotlogy (excuse the spellings) but it's very competitive
Can someone expand on the careers prospects for both
Original post by tecna
I'm stuck between the 2
Chemistry opens more options...if u change ur mind u could go into finance, computing etc
With biomed, I wanna do the nhs scientific training programme specifically for haeamolotlogy (excuse the spellings) but it's very competitive

You already have offers for chemistry and also biomed? Both at Manchester?
You are right that chemistry could also lead you into finance if you wanted to, whereas with biomed there is more of a defined path in the future through the NHS.
Which do you enjoy more at school? Chemistry or biology?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by booklover1313
You already have offers for chemistry and also biomed? Both at Manchester?
You are right that chemistry could also lead you into finance if you wanted to, whereas with biomed there is more of a defined path in the future through the NHS.
Which do you enjoy more at school? Chemistry or biology?

Enjoyed both equally
Original post by tecna
Enjoyed both equally

What about maths? A chemistry degree includes maths, is that something you enjoy?
Original post by booklover1313
What about maths? A chemistry degree includes maths, is that something you enjoy?

Yh I like maths tooo...I'm a bit of a polymath..I like all subjects sadly
Original post by tecna
Yh I like maths tooo...I'm a bit of a polymath..I like all subjects sadly

Have you been and visited the departments on an offer holder’s open day? That might be a good idea?
Original post by tecna
I'm stuck between the 2

Hi @tecna

Congrats on getting on getting your offers!

They are both great degrees and will have equal opportunities for the future. Both Chemistry and Biomed will have specific career routes which the other does not tailor too, however, they would both allow entry into finance, consulting, computing and anything analytical as the skills you gain are highly transferable.

From a biomed perspective, there are numerous careers you could do into on top of the NHS scientific training program. For example, you could work for:
- pharmaceutical/healthcare company doing regulatory affairs/marketing/pharmacovigilance etc,
- work within science communication for charities and research companies communicating with the public
- work within clinical trials (NHS or private)
- work within biotechnology companies on medical devices
- research/academia
There are so many more options too!

Personally, as the degree content is so different between Chemistry and Biomed, I would consider what course you think you will enjoy more. If you are fixed on applying for the NHS training scheme, then you would need to take biomed over chemistry.

Which one are you learning towards? Do you know what type of career you would prefer?

Lauren
(Student Ambassador)
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi @tecna

Congrats on getting on getting your offers!

They are both great degrees and will have equal opportunities for the future. Both Chemistry and Biomed will have specific career routes which the other does not tailor too, however, they would both allow entry into finance, consulting, computing and anything analytical as the skills you gain are highly transferable.

From a biomed perspective, there are numerous careers you could do into on top of the NHS scientific training program. For example, you could work for:
- pharmaceutical/healthcare company doing regulatory affairs/marketing/pharmacovigilance etc,
- work within science communication for charities and research companies communicating with the public
- work within clinical trials (NHS or private)
- work within biotechnology companies on medical devices
- research/academia
There are so many more options too!

Personally, as the degree content is so different between Chemistry and Biomed, I would consider what course you think you will enjoy more. If you are fixed on applying for the NHS training scheme, then you would need to take biomed over chemistry.

Which one are you learning towards? Do you know what type of career you would prefer?

Lauren
(Student Ambassador)

I like chem more but labs get me anxious
In terms of bio I love dissections but I find the genetics bit boring

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending