This discussion is closed.
Noel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Is a first class degree from Cambridge worth the same as a first class degree from say keele (for example.) Are the exams that students from different universities, but taking the same course, the same? Are marks standarised, or does a first class from Oxbridge, mean you have had to work harder to get it, as the standards are higher? Do you know what I mean???? :confused:
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
This has been debated millions of times before, I need to get some work done too so I am not going to into much detail.

Technicaly degrees are supposed to be at the same standard regardless of institution but I doubt this. I think a first from Oxbridge is possibly worth more than that of Keele, but there is far to many factors invovled. It really isn't as simple argument as you would think.

Standards should be very high regardless of the university, if its not then the university has a serius problem.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I can't speak from experience, but I think the same courses can be very different depending on where you study them, so the teaching and assessment methods would be different. I'm not sure whether you have to get the same marks for each class of degree at every university, but I would have thought that if you go somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge, they'd still be impressed by a second-class degree, whereas if you went somewhere less respected, they'd only consider a first. That's just my opinion though. Oh, and well done on the Cambridge offer
mangomaz
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
from wat iv heard, even just getting a 2:1 from oxbridge is EXTREMELY hard work.. so i wud think that a first from oxb is worth a lot more than from anywer else purely because u have to work so much harder for it. im not sure if employers recognise this.. oh i dunno im tired i shud sleep!
horrorboy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
I can't speak from experience, but I think the same courses can be very different depending on where you study them, so the teaching and assessment methods would be different. I'm not sure whether you have to get the same marks for each class of degree at every university, but I would have thought that if you go somewhere like Oxford or Cambridge, they'd still be impressed by a second-class degree, whereas if you went somewhere less respected, they'd only consider a first. That's just my opinion though. Oh, and well done on the Cambridge offer
nah its the opposite way round as well, a first class from a lower respected uni would truely be looked on as better since its a lot harder to get a first from a lower respected uni.

employers do bare this in mind but your also right it just depends on the employer
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by horrorboy)
nah its the opposite way round as well, a first class from a lower respected uni would truely be looked on as better since its a lot harder to get a first from a lower respected uni.
'fraid not.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by horrorboy)

employers do bare this in mind but your also right it just depends on the employer
It dosnt really work like that though, the reason places like Bolton have low amounts of people getting 1sts is not due to the standard of the courses, but because the entry standards are low. What this does show though is that the quality of courses at these universities may not dither as much as people like to think.

A first from Bolton is still very valuable though.
an Siarach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A first class degree from Cambridge is far better (in terms of job prospects) than a matching degree from about 95% of the other universities. I do not know if it is better in terms of quality of work/examination etc (though oxbridge is renowned for its heavier workload so almost definately yes)but even if it was not it would give better prospects as a result of the cambridge reputation.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by an Siarach)
A first class degree from Cambridge is far better (in terms of job prospects) than a matching degree from about 95% of the other universities. I do not know if it is better in terms of quality of work/examination etc (though oxbridge is renowned for its heavier workload so almost definately yes)but even if it was not it would give better prospects as a result of the cambridge reputation.
If it was far better then people from other universities would not stand a chance in the upper graduate job market and I know thats simply not the case. Of course an oxbridge degree is probably better but by how much is open to debate and nobody will probably really ever find out the true answer to that.
an Siarach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
If it was far better then people from other universities would not stand a chance in the upper graduate job market and I know thats simply not the case. Of course an oxbridge degree is probably better but by how much is open to debate and nobody will probably really ever find out the true answer to that.
Of course and the reason that this isnt the case is that there are other factors to consider. Two candidates equal in every respect in terms of experience,interview performance etc but one has a first from Oxbridge while the other has a first from City will almost definately see the former getting the work.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by an Siarach)
Of course and the reason that this isnt the case is that there are other factors to consider. Two candidates equal in every respect in terms of experience,interview performance etc but one has a first from Oxbridge while the other has a first from City will almost definately see the former getting the work.
Probably, there is no doubt that prospects for oxbridge students are better than average no matter how you try and hide it or manipulate it. Although the raw statistics would suggest are they are better universities for employment, these statistics only really show the first six months so are not reliable.
KingsComp
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I agree that oxbridge students will have advantages over 'most' students, but in some cases I disagree. For instance a first in economics from LSE will be regarded either on the same level or maybe higher than a first economics degree from cambridge. Similarly a first in computer science from imperial may also be regarded better than a first computer science degree from oxford.

I do agree that in most cases an oxbridge candidate would be favoured however some of the main london unis (the big 4 - lse, imperial, kings and ucl) can also easily compete and sometimes are favoured over oxbridge candidates.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by razzakakbar)
I agree that oxbridge students will have advantages over 'most' students, but in some cases I disagree. For instance a first in economics from LSE will be regarded either on the same level or maybe higher than a first economics degree from cambridge. Similarly a first in computer science from imperial may also be regarded better than a first computer science degree from oxford.

I do agree that in most cases an oxbridge candidate would be favoured however some of the main london unis (the big 4 - lse, imperial, kings and ucl) can also easily compete and sometimes are favoured over oxbridge candidates.
no...the big 3 (ie lse, imperial and ucl) can complete well with oxbridge. Kings sadly has declined alot although there are some exceptions e.g Law (which is sposed to be very rigorous there) and medicine...
an Siarach
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Probably, there is no doubt that prospects for oxbridge students are better than average no matter how you try and hide it or manipulate it. Although the raw statistics would suggest are they are better universities for employment, these statistics only really show the first six months so are not reliable.
Yup. Some rather modestly ranked (overall) universities often feature in the top rankings for employment. Specifically i think of Surrey which topped the employment table for several years in ST rankings i think and is always in the top 10 for both undergrad and postgrad.
Xulfer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There's not a specification which each uni has to teach, like GCSEs and A-Levels, they have their own systems. The degrees can therefore be better at any university which wishes to make it's exams harder. However, some universities are more prestigious than others, so no matter what the degree is like in terms of difficulty, you're more likely to be favoured by employers. Having said that, a 3rd from Oxford would not 'beat' someone with a 1st/2nd from somewhere like York, or Nottingham or Durham.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Xulfer)
There's not a specification which each uni has to teach, like GCSEs and A-Levels, they have their own systems. The degrees can therefore be better at any university which wishes to make it's exams harder. However, some universities are more prestigious than others, so no matter what the degree is like in terms of difficulty, you're more likely to be favoured by employers. Having said that, a 3rd from Oxford would not 'beat' someone with a 1st/2nd from somewhere like York, or Nottingham or Durham.
A 3rd from oxbridge is probably the same as a third from the places you mention. All degree courses are strictly monitored by external bodies, so a university cannot just make a degree a course up and call it a degree.
InterCity125
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A 3rd from oxbridge is probably the same as a third from the places you mention. All degree courses are strictly monitored by external bodies, so a university cannot just make a degree a course up and call it a degree.
The monitoring is fairly hands-off, unlike the QCA for school exams. I forget what it is called, but they do very little and although they can stop degrees from being awarded, I can never rember that happening.
A first from Oxbridge would beat a first from other places, but a 3rd from Oxford will not beat a 2:1 from Notts et al, but would still beat a 2:1 from Greenwich for example. However, there are other factors to take in to account, including A-levels which have to be lised for many graduate schemes.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
no...the big 3 (ie lse, imperial and ucl) can complete well with oxbridge. Kings sadly has declined alot although there are some exceptions e.g Law (which is sposed to be very rigorous there) and medicine...
lol there isn't really a big 3, or G5, whatever you call it.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by InterCity125)
The monitoring is fairly hands-off, unlike the QCA for school exams. I forget what it is called, but they do very little and although they can stop degrees from being awarded, I can never rember that happening.
A first from Oxbridge would beat a first from other places, but a 3rd from Oxford will not beat a 2:1 from Notts et al, but would still beat a 2:1 from Greenwich for example. However, there are other factors to take in to account, including A-levels which have to be lised for many graduate schemes.
I think the only people really qualified to say that is the employers though. I had a lecturer at college who went to Liverpool John Mores, he got a 3rd, he still ended up working for Marconi and earning £40k a year.
trouttrout
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Of course they're different. Can't say a degree from Oxford is of same level as a degree at some poly!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (138)
17.72%
It's just nice to be back! (210)
26.96%
Not great so far... (280)
35.94%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.38%

Watched Threads