How are University classifications worked out?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I am currently doing an honors degree at the University of Central Lancashire. I started in the year 2020/2021 so I am now in the second year.

I am wondering if anyone could help me work out how the classification for my course works. I found this guide academic_regulations_2021 (uclan.ac.uk)

But it says the highest classification will be picked from either the highest average percentage mark from year 2 or year 3 or from the top 5 modules from the top year, whichever is highest.

Surely you would just try and pass the second year with a bare pass if you can use your top five modules from the final year. Or is there something I am not understanding?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I am currently doing an honors degree at the University of Central Lancashire. I started in the year 2020/2021 so I am now in the second year.

I am wondering if anyone could help me work out how the classification for my course works. I found this guide academic_regulations_2021 (uclan.ac.uk)

But it says the highest classification will be picked from either the highest average percentage mark from year 2 or year 3 or from the top 5 modules from the top year, whichever is highest.

Surely you would just try and pass the second year with a bare pass if you can use your top five modules from the final year. Or is there something I am not understanding?
It appears that you are reading the regulations correctly. However, I'm a bit confused by H4.4 3.ii so I'd check that out.

And in general, if you don't work hard in year 2 you won't have the body of knowledge or the work ethic to do well in year 3.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ageshallnot)
It appears that you are reading the regulations correctly. However, I'm a bit confused by H4.4 3.ii so I'd check that out.

And in general, if you don't work hard in year 2 you won't have the body of knowledge or the work ethic to do well in year 3.
I think that may mean, if you get an average 68% then you can get a first class as you are two percentage points below.
ageshallnot
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I think that may mean, if you get an average 68% then you can get a first class as you are two percentage points below.
Yes that's possible.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Hi!

I'm sure that you are understanding this correctly.
However, I would still try hard in your second year, as you can't always guarantee what might happen in your third year and what yo grades you will receive. Plus if you work harder you'll be able to understand where you've made mistakes and improve in your third year.

Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
ageshallnot
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
UCLan Ambassador might be able to help?
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

By taking the "bare pass in the second year" approach, you're relying on being able to do very well in the third year. There are all sorts of possible reasons why you might not do well in the third year (modules being harder than you anticipated, having to take modules you didn't want to do, issues in your personal life); plus the fact that by coasting in year two you're not picking the skills, techniques, knowledge and understanding you need to succeed in year three (as ageshallnot rightly notes).

Essentially, working hard and getting good results in year two acts as an insurance policy against doing less well in year three.

The other thing that springs to mind is that if you spend year two bumping along the bottom and doing barely enough to pass, then a sudden jump in performance to a much higher level in the third year may raise suspicions that you're somehow cheating on your work (e.g. you're getting other people to do it for you).

One final thing -- if you want to go on to further study (a Master's degree, perhaps), you'll need to provide a transcript of your first degree marks. Doing the bare minimum for a pass is not going to look good when your application is considered. The same will apply if you apply for a job where they want to see a transcript and not just a degree certificate.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by martin7)
By taking the "bare pass in the second year" approach, you're relying on being able to do very well in the third year. There are all sorts of possible reasons why you might not do well in the third year (modules being harder than you anticipated, having to take modules you didn't want to do, issues in your personal life); plus the fact that by coasting in year two you're not picking the skills, techniques, knowledge and understanding you need to succeed in year three (as ageshallnot rightly notes).

Essentially, working hard and getting good results in year two acts as an insurance policy against doing less well in year three.

The other thing that springs to mind is that if you spend year two bumping along the bottom and doing barely enough to pass, then a sudden jump in performance to a much higher level in the third year may raise suspicions that you're somehow cheating on your work (e.g. you're getting other people to do it for you).

One final thing -- if you want to go on to further study (a Master's degree, perhaps), you'll need to provide a transcript of your first degree marks. Doing the bare minimum for a pass is not going to look good when your application is considered. The same will apply if you apply for a job where they want to see a transcript and not just a degree certificate.
Ahhh I never realised about the masters, I was slightly ignorant in believing you didn't get a transcript.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (56)
26.17%
As I expected (68)
31.78%
Harder (82)
38.32%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.74%

Watched Threads