The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan

Hi
I am a disabled part time student with the OU. SFE did not approve my maintenance loan application (you can apply if you are disabled despite only doing a PT degree). I appealed the decision twice and two weeks ago I got an email from SFE to say that they had assessed my application and that a loan had been approved. I then received part of the loan in my bank account as some months had passed since I first applied. Today I received a letter from SFE outlining my maintenance loan and tuition fee loan which was all in order.
However, today I received an email from the appeals dept saying that they had made a decision and were not approving my appeal. It seems that the appeals team and the assessor had not been communicating and the assessor had approved and the appeals team were not aware. Anyway, this has been SO stressful and now I am incredibly worried that they will not be giving me a maintenance loan and will ask me to pay back what they have already paid into my bank.
Does anyone know what the outcome is likely to be? I emailed the appeals team back with a copy of the email from the asssessor which confirmed approval. I am really worried now that I won't be getting a maintenance loan after all. I would be SO grateful if anyone has any experience or advice that will reassure or enlighten me!
Original post by ProfP79
Hi
I am a disabled part time student with the OU. SFE did not approve my maintenance loan application (you can apply if you are disabled despite only doing a PT degree). I appealed the decision twice and two weeks ago I got an email from SFE to say that they had assessed my application and that a loan had been approved. I then received part of the loan in my bank account as some months had passed since I first applied. Today I received a letter from SFE outlining my maintenance loan and tuition fee loan which was all in order.
However, today I received an email from the appeals dept saying that they had made a decision and were not approving my appeal. It seems that the appeals team and the assessor had not been communicating and the assessor had approved and the appeals team were not aware. Anyway, this has been SO stressful and now I am incredibly worried that they will not be giving me a maintenance loan and will ask me to pay back what they have already paid into my bank.
Does anyone know what the outcome is likely to be? I emailed the appeals team back with a copy of the email from the asssessor which confirmed approval. I am really worried now that I won't be getting a maintenance loan after all. I would be SO grateful if anyone has any experience or advice that will reassure or enlighten me!

Hi there,

We would recommend that you contact us so we can check your account regarding this for you. You can chat with one of our advisors or send a secure message in your student finance account. Sign in: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

Thanks, Angela.

Quick Reply

Latest