The Student Room Group

I think I've made the wrong firm choice for uni

I applied to Imperial, King's, UCL, Bristol and Southampton to study biochemistry. I have no doubt that biochemistry is the course I want to do but I'm starting to worry about the university I've picked. I've gotten offers from all 5 apart from UCL and I've decided to firm Imperial and insure Bristol.

I was really keen to study in London despite all of the expenses and the noise etc etc so I applied to Imperial Kings and UCL as a potential firm choices and Bristol and Southampton as potential insurance choices.

However I went to a Bristol open day and it was a complete shock because it just felt like the place I wanted to be and I didn't really expect to feel that way about it. I loved the city and the vibe and thought the open day seminars were really interesting and that the lecturers seemed really nice. Since visiting I've been so heavily torn between Imperial and Bristol because just about everything about Bristol I prefer but I decided to firm Imperial because it seems like such a waste to reject an offer from a uni as prestigious as Imperial.

The drawing factor of Imperial is that I assume its employability will be much higher for my course due to how many pharmaceutical companies there are in London and how they might be more inclined to employ Imperial graduates because of its reputation for having a tough work load and really pushing it's students. But I'm hearing things about how dead and boring the night life is at Imperial and I can't imagine being happy there. I hear Bristol is just a much more enjoyable uni to be at and I'm starting to think that I should've firmed it and gone with that gut feeling instead of thinking about the long term career pursuits.

I would really appreciate some advice on the matter. Should I try and switch my firm choice or should I go for Imperial? I don't want my choice to be lead by prejudices and generalisations about either university and would really welcome anyone with experience at either university or who have been in a similar dilemma.
Original post by jamesfor514
I applied to Imperial, King's, UCL, Bristol and Southampton to study biochemistry. I have no doubt that biochemistry is the course I want to do but I'm starting to worry about the university I've picked. I've gotten offers from all 5 apart from UCL and I've decided to firm Imperial and insure Bristol.

I was really keen to study in London despite all of the expenses and the noise etc etc so I applied to Imperial Kings and UCL as a potential firm choices and Bristol and Southampton as potential insurance choices.

However I went to a Bristol open day and it was a complete shock because it just felt like the place I wanted to be and I didn't really expect to feel that way about it. I loved the city and the vibe and thought the open day seminars were really interesting and that the lecturers seemed really nice. Since visiting I've been so heavily torn between Imperial and Bristol because just about everything about Bristol I prefer but I decided to firm Imperial because it seems like such a waste to reject an offer from a uni as prestigious as Imperial.

The drawing factor of Imperial is that I assume its employability will be much higher for my course due to how many pharmaceutical companies there are in London and how they might be more inclined to employ Imperial graduates because of its reputation for having a tough work load and really pushing it's students. But I'm hearing things about how dead and boring the night life is at Imperial and I can't imagine being happy there. I hear Bristol is just a much more enjoyable uni to be at and I'm starting to think that I should've firmed it and gone with that gut feeling instead of thinking about the long term career pursuits.

I would really appreciate some advice on the matter. Should I try and switch my firm choice or should I go for Imperial? I don't want my choice to be lead by prejudices and generalisations about either university and would really welcome anyone with experience at either university or who have been in a similar dilemma.

I think it is more important to go to the university that you believe you will have the best experience at. It is more than just getting a job at the end of it, you have to live the years that you attend. Have you visited Imperial? Maybe you could speak to current students on UniBuddy. It can be tricky speaking to student ambassadors though as of course it is their job to speak highly of the university and some will share more balanced information than others. Regardless of other people's opinions and experiences your opinions and experiences may be different to theirs if you experienced what they have but hopefully it could give you more clarity. I hope you get some more insight about people's experiences at both universities. I understand how difficult it is choosing which university to go to. Unfortunately you won't know if its a fit for you until you go and experience it yourself. Ultimately I think its best to go where you think you will have the best overall experience.
Reply 2

Just firm it
I would firm university of east london
Reply 4
Original post by LseRejection
I would firm university of east london

LMAO what an lse reject
Original post by CreamPi
LMAO what an lse reject

bro ur name is creampi what a sad life defo got 0 choices. Ha i got back all my 5 offers going to imperial this year lol. what r ur stats bum
Reply 6
bro ur name is creampi what a sad life defo got 0 choices. Ha i got back all my 5 offers going to imperial this year lol. what r ur stats bum

send me ur ps
lol u got 7 badges
mate get ur own ps, i am from china so i got instant offer bum.
Hi,

Picking a uni is always a nerve-wracking decision, even when you're sure about where you wanna go. If you haven't already, visiting imperial may give you a more balanced perspective. Maybe see if you can talk to anyone you know who has been to those unis.

Ultimately, I think it's best to go with what your heart says. If you don't, you may be in a constant state of longing and wondering throughout your whole degree. In the end, you can't really know for sure how great the uni experience will be for you until you actually go there and start your degree. All you can do is go with what your gut is telling you!

Charles,

Official Student Representative for the University of Southampton
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hi,

Picking a uni is always a nerve-wracking decision, even when you're sure about where you wanna go. If you haven't already, visiting imperial may give you a more balanced perspective. Maybe see if you can talk to anyone you know who has been to those unis.

Ultimately, I think it's best to go with what your heart says. If you don't, you may be in a constant state of longing and wondering throughout your whole degree. In the end, you can't really know for sure how great the uni experience will be for you until you actually go there and start your degree. All you can do is go with what your gut is telling you!

Charles,

Official Student Representative for the University of Southampton

dead uni lowe it dont beg for it
mate get ur own ps, i am from china so i got instant offer bum.

Lol just cause someone is from china doesn't mean they immediately get imperial offer
Just to confirm I've already firmed Imperial so to switch I would probably have to withdraw my application and apply next year. Im having a gap year so this wouldn't be much of an issue
Just to confirm I've already firmed Imperial so to switch I would probably have to withdraw my application and apply next year. Im having a gap year so this wouldn't be much of an issue

No, you could contact both your choices now and ask to swap replies. You then also have to give permission to UCAS and they can be switched around. I've never heard of unis refusing.

It's really up to you and whether you really want to swap. If it gets to results day and your current Firm accepts you, then your insurance offer is removed altogether. So you really would need to reapply for next year in that case.
Original post by Admit-One
No, you could contact both your choices now and ask to swap replies. You then also have to give permission to UCAS and they can be switched around. I've never heard of unis refusing.

It's really up to you and whether you really want to swap. If it gets to results day and your current Firm accepts you, then your insurance offer is removed altogether. So you really would need to reapply for next year in that case.

Thanks for the quick reply. I hadn't been thinking about it much but tonight I've just been feeling really panicky about the fact that I might just be miserable at Imperial if the work load is too much and if the other students that go there just don't go out or have fun or do anything stereotypical of uni life. But if its possible for me to switch then Ill definitely be considering doing it.
Thanks for the quick reply. I hadn't been thinking about it much but tonight I've just been feeling really panicky about the fact that I might just be miserable at Imperial if the work load is too much and if the other students that go there just don't go out or have fun or do anything stereotypical of uni life. But if its possible for me to switch then Ill definitely be considering doing it.

You will find likeminded people at both unis.

It's normal to start second guessing yourself when results day is getting closer and it feels a bit more real. Try making a list of pro's and con's for each, but don't discount your gut feeling about the vibe of the uni. You need to be happy living there for at least 3 years :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest