The Student Room Group

Rekindling relationship with old friend...

I haven't been on TSR in ages, but I need some help...

In 2007, I spent six months studying abroad and made a friend who was literally the best friend I ever had - we were 13 years old and we were super close, and I missed her so much when I had to go back home.

We stayed in touch, and she ended up coming over to the UK and living with my family for a couple of months, because things got really messy for her at home (criminal brother, depressed mum, and my friend started self-harming as well), but she was too far gone, and even though we tried to take care of her, her attitude stank and I ended up feeling like she was taking advantage of my mum's good will, so after she went home, I ghosted her and we haven't spoken since.

Today, we were visiting the town where she lives, and my mum saw in the shops - my mum said my friend looked really well and was really friendly and excited to hear that I was in town...

My dilemma is that I don't know whether to message her and ask to meet up, or just let it go. Now that I'm an adult, I feel bad about having disappeared when she was going through such a tough time (even though I wasn't equipped to deal with it back then) and I would love to catch up with her, but on the other hand, I don't want to risk getting sucked into any drama...?

Tldr: 15 years ago, I ghosted my best friend because I couldn't handle what she was going through, and now I don't know whether to meet up and rekindle our friendship?
Original post by Plumstone
I haven't been on TSR in ages, but I need some help...

In 2007, I spent six months studying abroad and made a friend who was literally the best friend I ever had - we were 13 years old and we were super close, and I missed her so much when I had to go back home.

We stayed in touch, and she ended up coming over to the UK and living with my family for a couple of months, because things got really messy for her at home (criminal brother, depressed mum, and my friend started self-harming as well), but she was too far gone, and even though we tried to take care of her, her attitude stank and I ended up feeling like she was taking advantage of my mum's good will, so after she went home, I ghosted her and we haven't spoken since.

Today, we were visiting the town where she lives, and my mum saw in the shops - my mum said my friend looked really well and was really friendly and excited to hear that I was in town...

My dilemma is that I don't know whether to message her and ask to meet up, or just let it go. Now that I'm an adult, I feel bad about having disappeared when she was going through such a tough time (even though I wasn't equipped to deal with it back then) and I would love to catch up with her, but on the other hand, I don't want to risk getting sucked into any drama...?

Tldr: 15 years ago, I ghosted my best friend because I couldn't handle what she was going through, and now I don't know whether to meet up and rekindle our friendship?

Regardless of how your relationship ended, do you want to see them again? Also, consider that meeting up once does not mean you'll have to become best friends at once

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending