Dissertation Supervisor is a Total Waste of Space

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm sure this is a common issue but frankly I'm clueless as to what to do about it.

Simply put, my dissertation supervisor is inexperienced, unhelpful, and incompetent. Even when arranging the *first meeting* he got the dates wrong and was late to the teams call, since then he has ignored my emails and given me no advice or guidance on forming my dissertation proposal and as a result I'm clueless as to what I'm supposed to be doing and have been left stressed to the verge of tears.

For context, my supervisor is probably only about 3 years older than me, a teaching fellow/PhD student, it is his first year supervising undergrad work, and his first language isn't English (which really doesn't help with communication) - it really is the worst case scenario.

Any advice appreciated.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm sure this is a common issue but frankly I'm clueless as to what to do about it.

Simply put, my dissertation supervisor is inexperienced, unhelpful, and incompetent. Even when arranging the *first meeting* he got the dates wrong and was late to the teams call, since then he has ignored my emails and given me no advice or guidance on forming my dissertation proposal and as a result I'm clueless as to what I'm supposed to be doing and have been left stressed to the verge of tears.

For context, my supervisor is probably only about 3 years older than me, a teaching fellow/PhD student, it is his first year supervising undergrad work, and his first language isn't English (which really doesn't help with communication) - it really is the worst case scenario.

Any advice appreciated.
Contact the dissertation/project coordinator - in other words the person that is in charge of the dissertation module/course at your university.
Something Peach
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Ask for a new one.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Any advice appreciated.
Hi!

I'm sorry to hear this. I would speak to your course modulator or someone similar. You could also contact another supervisor who you feel would help you more.

Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Maybe go to the module conveyor and ask for a new one the admin stuff is annoying,

although if you dont have a proposal yet it will be hard for your supervisor, generally they will guide your work but you need to bring them stuff to begin with, after all it is your proposal (just read a few papers, and dissertations, this bit shouldn't be too tough to do independently).

Most supervisors will probably give you 30 minutes every week or two for the semester you do the disso then maybe an hour when you actually kick off the project, you'll mostly be working independently.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (56)
26.79%
As I expected (67)
32.06%
Harder (78)
37.32%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.83%

Watched Threads