The Student Room Group

Help With Grade Boundaries!

Hey Guys, I am aiming for a "B" in English Literature.

Just Found Out I Got 50% In My English Literature Coursework.

Coursework Is Worth 20% of the overall grade.

The 2 Papers are worth 150 marks in total and are worth 80% total.

Grades will be a mid-point between 2019 and 2021.

For a "B" in 2019, you needed 63% and in 2021 you needed 50%.

For an "A" in 2019, you needed 75% and in 2021 you needed 60%.

Could someone please help me out and work out roughly how many marks I would need for a "B" or an "A"
Original post by Anom-007
Grades will be a mid-point between 2019 and 2021.

Well, what Ofqual have actually said (here) is this:

As we return to summer exams, in 2022 exam boards will set the grade boundaries based on a profile that reflects a midpoint between 2021 and pre-pandemic grading.

They haven't said that they grade boundaries will be at the midpoint between 2021 and 2019. In fact they can't, as there were no 2021 grade boundaries. The implication is that they'll look at the proportion of students who got each grade in 2021 and 2019, and set the grade boundaries such that the proportion of students who get each grade in 2022 which be at the midpoint.

The grade boundaries move around each year anyway, given that the papers are different (and can be unintentionally a little easier or a little harder) and given that the cohort of students taking the exam is different (and they may be more or less capable than prior years).

As a result, attempting to predict where the grade boundaries will be this year is a fool's errand.

For a "B" in 2019, you needed 63% and in 2021 you needed 50%.

For an "A" in 2019, you needed 75% and in 2021 you needed 60%.

From where did you source the information that the grade boundaries in 2021 were 50% for a B and 60% for an A (suspiciously round numbers) - given that there were no exams taken in Summer 2021?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Well, what Ofqual have actually said (here) is this:

They haven't said that they grade boundaries will be at the midpoint between 2021 and 2019. In fact they can't, as there were no 2021 grade boundaries. The implication is that they'll look at the proportion of students who got each grade in 2021 and 2019, and set the grade boundaries such that the proportion of students who get each grade in 2022 which be at the midpoint.

The grade boundaries move around each year anyway, given that the papers are different (and can be unintentionally a little easier or a little harder) and given that the cohort of students taking the exam is different (and they may be more or less capable than prior years).

As a result, attempting to predict where the grade boundaries will be this year is a fool's errand.

From where did you source the information that the grade boundaries in 2021 were 50% for a B and 60% for an A (suspiciously round numbers) - given that there were no exams taken in Summer 2021?

I calculated the 2021 numbers from the November Exams. If the grades are proportion based roughly how many would get A*, A, B. I study English Literature and History for AQA and Business Studies for Edexcel
I calculated the 2021 numbers from the November Exams. If the grades are proportion based roughly how many would get A*, A, B. I study English Literature and History for AQA and Business Studies for Edexcel

You haven't mentioned whether you're doing AQA English Literature A or AQA English Literature B, so I'm going to assume A.

You can see the cumulative percentages for how many students attained each grade in for your two AQA subjects here (for 2019) and here (for 2021). For your Edexcel subject they're here and here.

All we need to do is convert the cumulative percentage into absolute percentages at each grade, and take the mid-point across the two years.

AQA English Literature A: 7.2% got an A*, 14.4% got an A, and 24.2% got a B.
AQA History: 5.0% got an A*, 18.3% got an A, and 27.0% got a B.
Edexcel Business: 3.4% got an A*, 12.1% got an A, and 31.5% got a B.

AQA English Literature A: 17.3% got an A*, 24.1% got an A, and 29.2% got a B.
AQA History: 16.0% got an A*, 27.8% got an A, and 28.2% got a B.
Edexcel Business: 10.2% got an A*, 20.9% got an A, and 30.3% got a B.

2022 (mid-points of above)
AQA English Literature A: 12.3% get an A*, 19.3% get an A, and 26.7% get a B.
AQA History: 10.5% get an A*, 23.1% get an A, and 27.6% get a B.
Edexcel Business: 6.8% get an A*, 16.5% get an A, and 30.9% get a B.

Of course, those 2022 numbers assume that they take the exact mid-point between the 2019 and 2021 proportions, per subject, per exam board. They've implied they'll do this, but haven't spelled it out explicitly.

BTW, I was surprised by the large differences between 2019 and 2022, so I checked them with the results available at https://www.jcq.org.uk/examination-results/, and they tally. Those teacher assessed grades were extremely generous.

(Feel free to check any of the above numbers with the sources I've used, or with any other sources you find; I won't take offence.)

Quick Reply

Latest