The Student Room Group

Access to HE Midwifery interview

Hi, I’ve got my access to Midwifery course interview in a few days and I don’t really know what to expect. How long do they normal last? Is there any entry exams? And do many people get rejected from access courses?

Also, I am a mature student and never went to college from school so I have no idea on what to wear?

Thank you
Original post by TBaker1
Hi, I’ve got my access to Midwifery course interview in a few days and I don’t really know what to expect. How long do they normal last? Is there any entry exams? And do many people get rejected from access courses?

Also, I am a mature student and never went to college from school so I have no idea on what to wear?

Thank you

The process depends completely on the place you are interviewing at, there is no standardised process. Normally you would receive a letter or email prior to the interview giving you a rough idea of what to expect - if you haven't received this it might be worth contacting them.

Generally, universities and colleges do not waste time interviewing people who clearly do not meet their minimum entry requirements. There is also no sense in them interviewing many many more people than they have places for as this would be a waste of their time. People do get rejected at interview - normally it comes down to performance vs the other candidates which is always hard to predict. There are also often issues with people who just have the wrong personality type, and fail to listen or come across as abrasive.

For what to wear, I'd recommend business dress. It doesn't need to be a matching suit, but you certainly want to be wearing smart trousers/skirt/dress and a blazer (unless you have specifically been asked to wear comfortable clothes for practical exercises). It is always better to be overdressed, it shows you respect the organisation and the role you are applying for.

We have a thread on interview advice here which might be useful: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5084328
Original post by TBaker1

Thank you

@TBaker1
Hi, I've taught on Access to HE for nearly 10 years mostly on Nursing and Midwifery

It depends on the provider. We typically ask things like;

What do you know about the profession you want to go into?
Do you meet the entry requirements of level 2 English maths and science for midwifery (it is just the first two for Nursing)

We give our students a quick questionnaire which asks questions about potential barriers to study such as long working hours, childcare arrangements, and we ask about learning difficulties (the latter is so we can put arrangements in place to support our learners)

Some providers are starting to ask for you to have a go at a UCAS personal statement before enrolling you on Access (this is largely to check if you are committed to study and also can write competently)

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending