The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Bath Economics or Kings College economics for investment banking?

I am currently holding offers from Kings and Bath for economics and they have the same grade requirements.

I am making my choice based on which university would give me the best opportunity to get into investment banking. Does anyone know which Uni between the two would give me the highest chance?

Scroll to see replies

Hey - firstly, congratulations. Both universities are extremely respectable so that's a brilliant accomplishment. In terms of your question, Bath is ranked 30th and KCL is ranked 12th for Economics. Also, in regards to spring weeks and work experience, London is a financial hub so you'll probably have a better chance with employment in the IBD with a degree in Economics from King's. Obviously weigh up other factors, but solely looking at employability and job prospects, I think KCL is a clear winner :smile: All the best with your decision!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by nnpatel01
Hey - firstly, congratulations. Both universities are extremely respectable so that's a brilliant accomplishment. In terms of your question, Bath is ranked 30th and KCL is ranked 12th for Economics. Also, in regards to spring weeks and work experience, London is a financial hub so you'll probably have a better chance with employment in the IBD with a degree in Economics from King's. Obviously weigh up other factors, but solely looking at employability and job prospects, I think KCL is a clear winner :smile: All the best with your decision!

Thank you so much for the reply! You have definitely helped to make my decision easier.
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently holding offers from Kings and Bath for economics and they have the same grade requirements.

I am making my choice based on which university would give me the best opportunity to get into investment banking. Does anyone know which Uni between the two would give me the highest chance?

Congrats on both! I also have an offer from bath and am still waiting to hear back from Kings. Did you get in for pure econ, if so, when did you hear back? I'm getting kind of worried. Also, whilst I really like both unis, if I was in your position, I too would be confused. Whilst Kings is in London, it is a relatively new course and bath is more established. Bath also has a placement year opportunity which can help get your foot in the door and is a semi-target. But both are fantastic choices.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 4
What? The above user has no idea what they're talking about!

Bath is a top 10 university for Economics. Not only that, their Economics course is objectively very strong. Especially strong concentrations within mathematics. Kings is not good for Economics, it's really rather weak, just hiding behind a somewhat good global reputation. For Economics it's definitely on an "avoid" list (they don't even have an Economics department!).

Bath also has a world-class placement year option, and they're really good for employability. I have no idea where the previous poster got their stats from, but they're just plain wrong.
Original post by econ73

Bath is a top 10 university for Economics. Not only that, their Economics course is objectively very strong. Especially strong concentrations within mathematics. Kings is not good for Economics, it's really rather weak, just hiding behind a somewhat good global reputation. For Economics it's definitely on an "avoid" list (they don't even have an Economics department!).

Bath also has a world-class placement year option, and they're really good for employability. I have no idea where the previous poster got their stats from, but they're just plain wrong.

Are you talking about me?! Or the user above me
Reply 6
Original post by anamsaleem
Congrats on both! I also have an offer from bath and am still waiting to hear back from Kings. Did you get in for pure econ, if so, when did you hear back? I'm getting kind of worried. Also, whilst I really like both unis, if I was in your position, I too would be confused. Whilst Kings is in London, it is a relatively new course and bath is more established. Bath also has a placement year opportunity which can help get your foot in the door and is a semi-target. But both are fantastic choices.

Don't go to Kings! It's absolute pants for Economics and you'd regret it. The course is a mishmash of modules from all sorts of different departments because they're too weak to be able to pull together their own department.
Reply 7
Are you talking about me?! Or the user above me

nnPatel.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by econ73
Don't go to Kings! It's absolute pants for Economics and you'd regret it. The course is a mishmash of modules from all sorts of different departments because they're too weak to be able to pull together their own department.

Out of interest, do you go to Kings?
Reply 9
Out of interest, do you go to Kings?

No, I go to a university that actually has an Economics Department. Anyone who actually knows the subject knows that Kings is weak for Econ.
Reply 10
Congratulations to you as well! I got my kings offer at the very end of April. I applied in October, do you have Instagram?
Reply 11
Original post by Luna11
Congratulations to you as well! I got my kings offer at the very end of April. I applied in October, do you have Instagram?

Reply 12
Original post by econ73

Thank you for your detailed response.
Do you think going to Bath will offer an advantage for getting into investment banking?
Reply 13
Original post by Luna11
Thank you for your detailed response.
Do you think going to Bath will offer an advantage for getting into investment banking?

It makes no material difference because it doesn't matter what course you do for investment banking. On the basis of university reputation alone (not course reputation) they are identical. However, Bath offers a much better industrial placement scheme support, and most of their students do a year in industry, which is why Bath's employability is so high. A year in industry from Bath and you'll be able to walk into anywhere you want.

But university is also about the course you do. As I previously said, Bath is much stronger than Kings in Economics. There's a much bigger variety of optional modules and it'll probably be taught much better.
Original post by econ73
It makes no material difference because it doesn't matter what course you do for investment banking. On the basis of university reputation alone (not course reputation) they are identical. However, Bath offers a much better industrial placement scheme support, and most of their students do a year in industry, which is why Bath's employability is so high. A year in industry from Bath and you'll be able to walk into anywhere you want.

But university is also about the course you do. As I previously said, Bath is much stronger than Kings in Economics. There's a much bigger variety of optional modules and it'll probably be taught much better.

I really appreciate your responses as I was set on Kings after today, but now I am considering both again. I am also still waiting on Warwick and that would be an instant firm for me.
I really appreciate your responses as I was set on Kings after today, but now I am considering both again. I am also still waiting on Warwick and that would be an instant firm for me.

I literally got an offer from warwick today! Good luck with everything :smile:
I literally got an offer from warwick today! Good luck with everything :smile:

Wow that is amazing!! Congratulations. What are your stats? (predicted etc)
Wow that is amazing!! Congratulations. What are your stats? (predicted etc)

I'm a gap year student so I have 4A*s achieved in maths, fm, chem and econ and 999999998A*A^ at GCSE. I also, got rejected from kings about half an hour ago lol.
I'm a gap year student so I have 4A*s achieved in maths, fm, chem and econ and 999999998A*A^ at GCSE. I also, got rejected from kings about half an hour ago lol.

They are incredible stats! Perhaps you were overqualified for Kings? My stats are 4A* predicted In Maths, Economics, History and Italian with A* EPQ and 5 9s and 6 8s at GCSE. I feel like I will be rejected by Warwick as I do not have further maths and they value that highly.
They are incredible stats! Perhaps you were overqualified for Kings? My stats are 4A* predicted In Maths, Economics, History and Italian with A* EPQ and 5 9s and 6 8s at GCSE. I feel like I will be rejected by Warwick as I do not have further maths and they value that highly.

That's sweet of you to say but I don't think universities reject you because they think you're overqualified:biggrin:. All the best with Warwick, fm isn't a requirement so you're still in the running! Don't lose hope but honestly, kings and bath are great choices too!

Quick Reply

Latest