Can a university make an offer condition on being quickly Firm Acceptance?

Watch this thread
ringi
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Does UCAS allow an university to issue an offer that has a condition that it must be acceptance as a "Firm Acceptance" and hence can't be used as an "Insurance Acceptance"?

Can a university issue a impossible condition offer (eg 5 A*) with an agreement it will be reduced to AAB if "Firm Acceptance" within say 14 days (or by fixed date)?

I am assuming the above offer policy would be clearly communicated before the start of the application cycle, so students who did not like it could choose a different university/course. Along with an email as soon as the application is put in, so the student can use the 14 days cooling off period if they had not read the course details.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ringi)
Does UCAS allow an university to issue an offer that has a condition that it must be acceptance as a "Firm Acceptance" and hence can't be used as an "Insurance Acceptance"?

Can a university issue a impossible condition offer (eg 5 A*) with an agreement it will be reduced to AAB if "Firm Acceptance" within say 14 days (or by fixed date)?

I am assuming the above offer policy would be clearly communicated before the start of the application cycle, so students who did not like it could choose a different university/course. Along with an email as soon as the application is put in, so the student can use the 14 days cooling off period if they had not read the course details.
They can make a reduced "if firmed" offer. However "unconditional if firmed" offers are being phased out and unis should not be doing them any more.

They should not be setting their own acceptance deadlines outside of UCAS. UCAS would not like that at all.

No uni makes 5A* offers so that part seems a bit hypothetical. They can make any offer that they like, but it shouldn't be wildly different from what they advertise.

I don't think UCAS need to uni to state publicly that they might do "if firmed" reductions, (either pre-application, or post-application), so long as the alternative offer, (IE the conditions if you didn't firm them), were not different than the standard offer that is advertised. (Unless there was a very good reason for that specific candidate, e.g. subject mix or somesuch).
ringi
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
I don't think UCAS need to uni to state publicly that they might do "if firmed" reductions, (either pre-application, or post-application), so long as the alternative offer, (IE the conditions if you didn't firm them), were not different than the standard offer that is advertised. (Unless there was a very good reason for that specific candidate, e.g. subject mix or somesuch).
I was thinking an university could advertise both their standard "reduced offer if firmed" and there "offer if not firmed".
ringi
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
They should not be setting their own acceptance deadlines outside of UCAS. UCAS would not like that at all.
At present for high demand course universities are not able to make offers for all likely spaces by the deadline UCAS requires them to make offers as many offers they have made that will be rejected have not been rejected by that point.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ringi)
I was thinking an university could advertise both their standard "reduced offer if firmed" and there "offer if not firmed".
I'm not aware of any uni that advertises their "if firmed" offers, only the reduced contextual ones.
(Original post by ringi)
At present for high demand course universities are not able to make offers for all likely spaces by the deadline UCAS requires them to make offers as many offers they have made that will be rejected have not been rejected by that point.
I'm not sure what point you are making here. 'High demand' courses are likely to be closed long before the first reply deadline and those unis factor in declines when they set their offer making targets. They still aren't allowed to set deadlines outside of UCAS.
PQ
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Any university setting deadlines for acceptance prior to UCAS deadlines should be reported to [email protected]
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Any 'pressure selling' is forbidden by the UCAS agreement.
This includes all inducements like laptops, accommodation priority or lower grade offers.

Please tell UCAS about any examples of this - email as above.
Dont worry, UCAS wont tell the Uni who reported it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.05%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.17%
It was TERRIBLE (49)
7.49%

Watched Threads