UK citizen with fee status as 'overseas'

Watch this thread
ms.anna
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am a UK citizen by birth and lived in the UK till I was 14 (im now 21). I lived in Canada from 2015-April 2022 and I'm back to live permanently in the UK again. I'm currently applying for Uni in LDN but most of the universities have accessed I'll be charged international fees despite me being a UK national. I was still in Canada when I was applying on UCAS so I used my address at the time which was part of the issue I think. Despite now having a UK address I'm told that I had to have lived in the UK for 3 straight years prior to the start of the upcoming school year to be considered a "home fee status". Obviously I feel its ridiculous for me to be paying international fees as a UK student & national, so I'm wondering if anyone has any helpful advice/info for when I submit my fee assessment appeal?
Last edited by ms.anna; 1 month ago
Angela SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ms.anna)
I am a UK citizen by birth and lived in the UK till I was 14 (im now 21). I lived in Canada from 2015-April 2022 and I'm back to live permanently in the UK again. I'm currently applying for Uni in LDN but most of the universities have accessed I'll be charged international fees despite me being a UK national. I was still in Canada when I was applying on UCAS so I used my address at the time which was part of the issue I think. Despite now having a UK address I'm told that I had to have lived in the UK for 3 straight years prior to the start of the upcoming school year to be considered a "home fee status". Obviously I feel its ridiculous for me to be paying international fees as a UK student & national, so I'm wondering if anyone has any helpful advice/info for when I submit my fee assessment appeal?
Hi there,

Was there any specific reason that you were living in Canada during 2015-2022?

Thanks, Angela.
ms.anna
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Angela SFE)
Hi there,

Was there any specific reason that you were living in Canada during 2015-2022?

Thanks, Angela.
It was initially for a regular migration mostly for my parents' work, but then due to family issues, I had to remain in Canada to support my mum during their seperation.
Graeme SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ms.anna)
It was initially for a regular migration mostly for my parents' work, but then due to family issues, I had to remain in Canada to support my mum during their seperation.
Hi there,

It's entirely up to the university in question to decide if they want to charge you overseas fees: we don't have any say in the matter, unfortunately.

In this case we'd suggest speaking to the university directly and asking them to explain their decision and if it can be changed.

Thanks, Graeme
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
45%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (5)
25%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
10%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
15%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise