The Student Room Group

Medic Mentor WAMS Summer School

Scroll to see replies

Are you guys going to the virtual or residential summer school?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Idk131
Are you guys going to the virtual or residential summer school?

congrats! it’s a good thing you checked your email haha. i’ll be doing the 5 day residential! as well as all the virtual stuff i think
I want to go to the in-person summer school but I don't really like the dates available for it since it is until 13th August, so I might do the virtual summer school. Does anyone know how different the virtual summer school is in comparison to the residential (except for the obvious)?
Original post by Idk131
I want to go to the in-person summer school but I don't really like the dates available for it since it is until 13th August, so I might do the virtual summer school. Does anyone know how different the virtual summer school is in comparison to the residential (except for the obvious)?

you already got the dates? i was told i’d get mine by the end of the month :0
i would really recommend attending the residential though, this is where they work on your personal statement with you from scratch. However, if you’re confident in your personal statement you should be fine just doing virtual cause they’ll still help you with the UCAT, interviews etc :smile:
Original post by chaeliwol
you already got the dates? i was told i’d get mine by the end of the month :0
i would really recommend attending the residential though, this is where they work on your personal statement with you from scratch. However, if you’re confident in your personal statement you should be fine just doing virtual cause they’ll still help you with the UCAT, interviews etc :smile:

Hi guys, I got accepted :smile::smile::smile: so happpy!
I asked them if the 2nd - 6th date was possible but if it isn't, I might as well just attend the 9th-13th. Also apparently we need to book UCAT for late August, isn't that a bit tooo late??
This is what they told me about the virtual summer school:
With Summer School fast approaching, we’ve had lots of queries about virtual summer schools.

Due to the COVID-19 restrictions in place during Summer 2021, Medic Mentor ran virtual summer schools for at-risk or self-isolating students.

Whether they attended virtually or in person, students finished summer school with a top-quality personal statement and plenty of valuable mock interview practice.

The virtual Summer School students enjoyed the flexibility of working at home without sacrificing the quality of 1:1 mentoring with our wonderful Summer School Mentors.

To ensure the virtual summer school students receive in-person mock interview practice, we will be offering full-day mock interview days in London, Birmingham, and Scotland throughout the interview season (November-March).

Virtual Summer School students will be invited to attend up to 4 of these sessions.
To summarise:

In-person Summer School:

- 1 in-person mock interview day at Summer School
- 4 virtual mock interview days during interview season (November-March).

Virtual Summer School:

- 1 virtual mock interview day at Summer School
- 4 in-person mock interview days during interview season (November-March).

The virtual Summer School will still count towards your Duke of Edinburgh residential, due to the four in-person interview dates.
Original post by MedApplicantttt
I asked them if the 2nd - 6th date was possible but if it isn't, I might as well just attend the 9th-13th. Also apparently we need to book UCAT for late August, isn't that a bit tooo late??
With Summer School fast approaching, we’ve had lots of queries about virtual summer schools.

Due to the COVID-19 restrictions in place during Summer 2021, Medic Mentor ran virtual summer schools for at-risk or self-isolating students.

Whether they attended virtually or in person, students finished summer school with a top-quality personal statement and plenty of valuable mock interview practice.

The virtual Summer School students enjoyed the flexibility of working at home without sacrificing the quality of 1:1 mentoring with our wonderful Summer School Mentors.

To ensure the virtual summer school students receive in-person mock interview practice, we will be offering full-day mock interview days in London, Birmingham, and Scotland throughout the interview season (November-March).

Virtual Summer School students will be invited to attend up to 4 of these sessions.
To summarise:

In-person Summer School:

Virtual Summer School:

The virtual Summer School will still count towards your Duke of Edinburgh residential, due to the four in-person interview dates.

The advantage of doing virtual is that you get 4 in person dates whereas residential only get 1 in person date :/

To summarise:

In-person Summer School:

Virtual Summer School:

congrats! i didn’t get this email so i’m a bit confused. maybe there were two different types of acceptance? my acceptance email just says i've been awarded a fully funded place and doesn’t mention virtual summer school. hopefully i find out the date soon so i can prepare 😵*💫
They also sent me this one and my one is in-person. They gave me an email today saying to confirm my date because they're going to go quickly:
Dear

Thank you for your application to our Widening Access Summer School 2022.

I am very pleased to inform you that your application has been successful! You have been awarded a fully-funded place - congratulations!

We received over 600 applications for 40 spaces, so you have done incredibly well!

I will be in touch towards the end of June to confirm your allocated week. In the meantime, please complete the following Registration Form to confirm your details as a Summer School Student 2022

There is a lot of information in this email, but please do not worry. As a Summer School student, you are already ahead of the game. We are here to support you through every step of the application process.

You should not start writing your personal statement or UCAT revision yet. You will work with mentors at the Summer School to write your personal statement from scratch!

For UCAT, you will have 5 weeks of mentoring and practice over the summer holidays. Starting your revision too early will increase the likelihood of burnout and prevent you from achieving the top marks.

I recommend booking your UCAT exam for the last week of August/first week of September before you return to school. Consider applying for the UCAT bursary since the exam does incur a fee (https://www.ucat.ac.uk/register/bursary-scheme/)

For now, just focus on any exams you have coming up. Once you do finish with exams, take a look at the events and programmes I have detailed below.

If you haven’t yet registered for a Medic Mentor Portal https://medicmentor.co.uk/the-medic-mentor-portal/ please do so, as this will have a lot of important Summer School information for you closer to the date.

You should also attend the following FREE programmes & events:

Another Get Into Conference (especially if you haven’t been in the last 6 months) Register - https://medicmentor.co.uk/get-into-conferences/
Virtual Medical Society - teaching each Tuesday evening. Link available on your Student Portal (https://medicmentor.co.uk/how-to-become-a-doctor-virtual-medical-society/)
Virtual Work Experience - even if you have in-person experience! (https://medicmentor.co.uk/virtual-work-experience-programmes/)
For medical applicants, an Insight into Medicine Conference will allow you to speak to a variety of practising doctors in the NHS. (https://medicmentor.co.uk/insight-into-medicine-conference/)
As a Summer School student, you will also be enrolled on the Medical Leadership Programme (MLP) and Awards programme.

The next MLP date is Sunday 19th June when we will be running a Climate Change Conference. If you would like the opportunity to present a poster, please submit your poster here: https://airtable.com/shrtBTRAjumNHiUZi

The topic should relate to your future career and climate change or global warming. Example topics may include:

How do anaesthetic gases impact the environment?
How does climate change & pollution impact population health?
What impact does COVID have on environmental health?
You do not need to present anything at the conference, you can just observe and be involved in the discussion. We’ll send you the Zoom joining links prior to the event.

The Medic Mentor Awards Programme is our scheme to ensure that your application is strong across the board. As a Summer School 2022 student, you will be automatically enrolled. This can take a week to appear on your Student Portal. In the meantime, please have a look at the mark scheme and begin collating your evidence: https://medicmentor.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Awards-Prog-Mark-Scheme-2021-2022.pdf

I just want to reiterate that you are already ahead as a Summer School student. To summarise, these should be your next steps:

Complete the Summer School Registration form
Focus on exams/school work
Attend any conferences you haven’t already attended
Look at the Awards Programme Mark Scheme and highlight any areas you need to work on. Focus on this before Summer School!
Congratulations again on your successful application - I can’t wait to meet you all soon at Summer School!

Best wishes,
congrats! i didn’t get this email so i’m a bit confused. maybe there were two different types of acceptance? my acceptance email just says i've been awarded a fully funded place and doesn’t mention virtual summer school. hopefully i find out the date soon so i can prepare 😵*💫

And this one today:
Good afternoon,

Thank you to those of you who have already completed the Summer School Registration Form so promptly. I’m so excited to meet you all and support you through your UCAS applications!

If you haven’t already done so, please complete the Registration Form as soon as possible to guarantee your spot at Summer School 2022.

After completing the Registration Form, the next step is to select which week you would like to attend. We currently have spaces available on the Virtual Summer School and London Week 3. To inform us of your preference please complete this form

To avoid disappointment, please complete these forms as soon as possible as spaces are filling quickly and we cannot guarantee availability on your preferred week until you have returned the forms.
They also sent me this one and my one is in-person. They gave me an email today saying to confirm my date because they're going to go quickly:
Dear

Thank you for your application to our Widening Access Summer School 2022.

I am very pleased to inform you that your application has been successful! You have been awarded a fully-funded place - congratulations!

We received over 600 applications for 40 spaces, so you have done incredibly well!

I will be in touch towards the end of June to confirm your allocated week. In the meantime, please complete the following Registration Form to confirm your details as a Summer School Student 2022

There is a lot of information in this email, but please do not worry. As a Summer School student, you are already ahead of the game. We are here to support you through every step of the application process.

You should not start writing your personal statement or UCAT revision yet. You will work with mentors at the Summer School to write your personal statement from scratch!

For UCAT, you will have 5 weeks of mentoring and practice over the summer holidays. Starting your revision too early will increase the likelihood of burnout and prevent you from achieving the top marks.

I recommend booking your UCAT exam for the last week of August/first week of September before you return to school. Consider applying for the UCAT bursary since the exam does incur a fee (https://www.ucat.ac.uk/register/bursary-scheme/)

For now, just focus on any exams you have coming up. Once you do finish with exams, take a look at the events and programmes I have detailed below.

If you haven’t yet registered for a Medic Mentor Portal https://medicmentor.co.uk/the-medic-mentor-portal/ please do so, as this will have a lot of important Summer School information for you closer to the date.

You should also attend the following FREE programmes & events:

Another Get Into Conference (especially if you haven’t been in the last 6 months) Register - https://medicmentor.co.uk/get-into-conferences/
Virtual Medical Society - teaching each Tuesday evening. Link available on your Student Portal (https://medicmentor.co.uk/how-to-become-a-doctor-virtual-medical-society/)
Virtual Work Experience - even if you have in-person experience! (https://medicmentor.co.uk/virtual-work-experience-programmes/)
For medical applicants, an Insight into Medicine Conference will allow you to speak to a variety of practising doctors in the NHS. (https://medicmentor.co.uk/insight-into-medicine-conference/)
As a Summer School student, you will also be enrolled on the Medical Leadership Programme (MLP) and Awards programme.

The next MLP date is Sunday 19th June when we will be running a Climate Change Conference. If you would like the opportunity to present a poster, please submit your poster here: https://airtable.com/shrtBTRAjumNHiUZi

The topic should relate to your future career and climate change or global warming. Example topics may include:

How do anaesthetic gases impact the environment?
How does climate change & pollution impact population health?
What impact does COVID have on environmental health?
You do not need to present anything at the conference, you can just observe and be involved in the discussion. We’ll send you the Zoom joining links prior to the event.

The Medic Mentor Awards Programme is our scheme to ensure that your application is strong across the board. As a Summer School 2022 student, you will be automatically enrolled. This can take a week to appear on your Student Portal. In the meantime, please have a look at the mark scheme and begin collating your evidence: https://medicmentor.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Awards-Prog-Mark-Scheme-2021-2022.pdf

I just want to reiterate that you are already ahead as a Summer School student. To summarise, these should be your next steps:

Complete the Summer School Registration form
Focus on exams/school work
Attend any conferences you haven’t already attended
Look at the Awards Programme Mark Scheme and highlight any areas you need to work on. Focus on this before Summer School!
Congratulations again on your successful application - I can’t wait to meet you all soon at Summer School!

Best wishes,

this is the email i got. i’m guessing the virtual summer school is just an alternative for people if they don’t really want to travel or can’t make it to the dates
And this one today
Good afternoon,

Thank you to those of you who have already completed the Summer School Registration Form so promptly. I’m so excited to meet you all and support you through your UCAS applications!

If you haven’t already done so, please complete the Registration Form as soon as possible to guarantee your spot at Summer School 2022.

After completing the Registration Form, the next step is to select which week you would like to attend. We currently have spaces available on the Virtual Summer School and London Week 3. To inform us of your preference please complete this form

To avoid disappointment, please complete these forms as soon as possible as spaces are filling quickly and we cannot guarantee availability on your preferred week until you have returned the forms.

ohhh i see! i haven’t got the email cause i haven’t completed the registration form yet. i’ll fill it immediately now haha
Are you planning on doing the inperson?
Are you planning on doing the inperson?

yes!
Wait does the virtual summer school count for the residential part of the medic mentor awards programme for gold? Since it counts for the duke of Edinburgh, I assume it will for the awards programme as well?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Idk131
Wait does the virtual summer school count for the residential part of the medic mentor awards programme for gold?

Yep it does
yes!

Cool, might see you there :biggrin:
I think I'll make a thread later for those attending in-person cause it'd be cool to make some friends before I get there
I think I'll make a thread later for those attending in-person cause it'd be cool to make some friends before I get there

Yess definitely do! Update us on this thread when you do : )
Thanks for the wise words : )

Really nice you're helping out clueless students like myself
Hey, hope everyone is welll and your school exams went well if you've already had them. Medic mentor said in their email to book UCAT for end of august and we will receive 4 weeks of teaching. Do you think this a little time to prep and they've also said "As for UCAT and BMAT, don’t get started now! Overworking yourself will have a negative impact on your A-Levels or Highers. I am in the process of selecting the very question bank for you! Using the wrong question bank can negatively affect your score so please wait until I have sent you the link to my selected bank. As part of Summer School you will get free access to the very best Question banks so there is no need to purchase any."

Are you guys going to start UCAT prep shortly or start on 29th july?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending