‘The UK parliament is no longer a truly representative body.’

Watch this thread
3cutecats
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
‘The UK parliament is no longer a truly representative body.’ How far do you agree with this statement? In your answer you must refer to at least two views of representation.

Can you help me answer this question please!!!
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 days ago
Do you understand the question?

Then think of your own opinion on it, find a classmate who has an 'opposite' opinion and discuss with them.

I would say that's a pretty poor question to ask. They've unnecessarily snuck in the assertion that the UK Parliament once was a truly representative body.
Gavin2016
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
I was about to say was it ever! Lol.

In my view it's often been the main big parties view and anyone with a mind to think otherwise can bog off. Then again that's who the voters most often tend to vote for, Conservative, Labour & Lib Dems, voters seem afraid, in fear almost to vote for anything than the status quo.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by ThomH97)
Do you understand the question?

Then think of your own opinion on it, find a classmate who has an 'opposite' opinion and discuss with them.

I would say that's a pretty poor question to ask. They've unnecessarily snuck in the assertion that the UK Parliament once was a truly representative body.
I don't see how that makes it a poor question.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
I've put this in study help for you as it looks like an essay question to me.

Interested by the 'no longer' though, suggesting it's become less representative? I'm really not sure I agree or that the arguments are particularly strong to support that position, though I guess the sort of thing you might talk about is the deadlock around Brexit, and rhetoric about parliament blocking the will of the people?
A.B72
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
what spec is this? in edexcel there isn't much in the spec about representation so i'd be surprised if they asked this.

in terms of points you could talk about the increase in partisanship and conflict between towing the party line and representing the views of your constituency. you could also separately talk about the resemblance model and how there are more women and ethnic minorities in parliament, making it more socially representative
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (133)
43.04%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
17.48%
No (122)
39.48%

Watched Threads