Why does an increase in CO2 cause the stomata to close more?

Watch this thread
doka13
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
In my head it just makes more sense that the stomata would open more because they would want as much CO2 as possible for photosynthesis. But apparently that's not the case...
Can someone explain please?
Autumn Night
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by doka13 )
In my head it just makes more sense that the stomata would open more because they would want as much CO2 as possible for photosynthesis. But apparently that's not the case...
Can someone explain please?
Essentially you would be right to be honest. More CO2 would allow the plant to effectively photosynthesise.
I guess too much would cause the stomata to close due to the fact that if there is more carbon dioxide there is obviously more exchange occurring (and the stomata would be open) which would lead to water being lost so closure of the stomata prevents further water loss.
Last edited by Autumn Night; 1 month ago
newgoose
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Im pretty sure an excess of CO2 causes the stomata to close as it is just not needed. The stomata only take up the CO2 that they need, if they continuously took up CO2 there would not be enough CO2 for other plants (think about the carbon cycle !)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (13)
24.53%
As I expected (15)
28.3%
Harder (22)
41.51%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
5.66%

Watched Threads