The Student Room Group

We were intimate all the time but now my partner wants to wait until we're married

As the title suggests.

My partner and I used to have an incredible $3X Life but now she keeps saying stuff like:

"I don't want to risk getting pregnant"
"I'm on my time of the month"
"We'll have lots of $3X when we're married as we won't have to worry about the outcome of a baby"

She has even said things like how she has never enjoyed penetrative intimacy but never lets me go down on her nowadays.

I feel like some sort of connection has been broken.
Have you ever told her that you want to get married or discussed the possibility of marriage within the next 5 years?
Have any elements of your partner's personality, health, finances or lifestyle changed a lot over the last few months/pandemic?
Is she from a religious household or spending a lot of time with religious friends?
Original post by londonmyst
Have you ever told her that you want to get married or discussed the possibility of marriage within the next 5 years?
Have any elements of your partner's personality, health, finances or lifestyle changed a lot over the last few months/pandemic?
Is she from a religious household or spending a lot of time with religious friends?

She has gotten a few payrises over the last couple of years during the pandemic. She now earns much more than me.

I talk about how I want kids with her someday.

I wouldn't say her personality has changed but seems to get upset with me nowadays. I haven't done anything differently, in fact I probably show more love towards her than when we were first together.

I think I'm starting to get hints that she doesn't see a future with me. But I guess that's the sad reality of the world we live in when some women start earning more than their partner 😐
Was it incredible for you? Or for her? Or for both of you?

With her saying that she has never enjoyed penetrative intimacy, it sounds very much like sex was great for you and poor to mediocre for her.

Get good at making love with women. It's a set of skills that's about as challenging to master as driving a car with a mechanical gearbox.
There's a high proportion of men that are poor to mediocre in bed. If you are one of them, you can expect your partner to go off sex with you.

If you are clinically obese, sort that out.

Outside of the bedroom, guard against your relationship becoming stale. The longer you're with someone the more important it is to go on mini breaks away, to give flowers, to go on romantic dates etc. All the sort of stuff that a lot of people do in the early stages that then tends to fall by the wayside over time.

If you are competent at making love and your girlfriend just happens to be sexually incompatible with you, then it's time you both moved on to other partners.

If she won't co-operate with you in your quest to become more competent at making love, then dump her and find someone more sexually compatible.

The having lots of sex after you're married is a load of complete and utter cobblers from her. You might enjoy a few weeks or months of increased activity and then it will decline after that. All she'll do is come up with fresh excuses "I'm tired because of the baby" etc.

Give it your best shot to freshen things up outside and inside the bedroom. Give it 4 months to start seeing results. If your best shot isn't enough, cut your losses and get out of there. There's plenty more women that would be delighted to have you.
Original post by Anonymous
She has gotten a few payrises over the last couple of years during the pandemic. She now earns much more than me.

I talk about how I want kids with her someday.

I wouldn't say her personality has changed but seems to get upset with me nowadays. I haven't done anything differently, in fact I probably show more love towards her than when we were first together.

I think I'm starting to get hints that she doesn't see a future with me. But I guess that's the sad reality of the world we live in when some women start earning more than their partner 😐

She may be tired and very stressed if she is working long hours or employed in a well paid intensely stressful environment.
The pandemic has been so disruptive and made a lot of people very worried about money & their future job prospects/earning potential.

You need to talk to her.
Discuss future ambitions within the next 1-3 years to make sure that you are both on a similar page.
Tell her how you feel and that you want an intimate relationship that where you both share your feelings with each other & continue to have an active sex life as you did during the early days of the relationship.
Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Was it incredible for you? Or for her? Or for both of you?

With her saying that she has never enjoyed penetrative intimacy, it sounds very much like sex was great for you and poor to mediocre for her.

Get good at making love with women. It's a set of skills that's about as challenging to master as driving a car with a mechanical gearbox.
There's a high proportion of men that are poor to mediocre in bed. If you are one of them, you can expect your partner to go off sex with you.

If you are clinically obese, sort that out.

Outside of the bedroom, guard against your relationship becoming stale. The longer you're with someone the more important it is to go on mini breaks away, to give flowers, to go on romantic dates etc. All the sort of stuff that a lot of people do in the early stages that then tends to fall by the wayside over time.

If you are competent at making love and your girlfriend just happens to be sexually incompatible with you, then it's time you both moved on to other partners.

If she won't co-operate with you in your quest to become more competent at making love, then dump her and find someone more sexually compatible.

The having lots of sex after you're married is a load of complete and utter cobblers from her. You might enjoy a few weeks or months of increased activity and then it will decline after that. All she'll do is come up with fresh excuses "I'm tired because of the baby" etc.

Give it your best shot to freshen things up outside and inside the bedroom. Give it 4 months to start seeing results. If your best shot isn't enough, cut your losses and get out of there. There's plenty more women that would be delighted to have you.

Without it sounding too graphic, she seemed like she enjoyed it and I would always make sure she finished from non-penatrative intimacy. But nowadays she won't even let my head go there! It seems like she checked out of the relationship somewhere along the line.

I've tried to freshen it up for the last 2 years but it hasn't gone anywhere. There's just a longer list of things that she likes to complain about me. To think I stuck at this career for her when I had a chance to change! I feel really used!
Without it sounding too graphic, she seemed like she enjoyed it and I would always make sure she finished from non-penatrative intimacy. But nowadays she won't even let my head go there! It seems like she checked out of the relationship somewhere along the line.

I've tried to freshen it up for the last 2 years but it hasn't gone anywhere. There's just a longer list of things that she likes to complain about me. To think I stuck at this career for her when I had a chance to change! I feel really used!

2 years?!
You should move on then.
(edited 1 year ago)
She may be tired and very stressed if she is working long hours or employed in a well paid intensely stressful environment.
The pandemic has been so disruptive and made a lot of people very worried about money & their future job prospects/earning potential.

You need to talk to her.
Discuss future ambitions within the next 1-3 years to make sure that you are both on a similar page.
Tell her how you feel and that you want an intimate relationship that where you both share your feelings with each other & continue to have an active sex life as you did during the early days of the relationship.
Good luck!

That's true. I guess I'm just scared of losing her. I'm not exactly a man full of options.

Her job specification hasn't changed with her pay raises. To be honest when we first started dating she would say how much she loves her job. I don't think that has changed otherwise she would have said something by now.

I on the other hand have been sticking at my stressful career which I was actually on the road to changing before I met her. I turned down an undergraduate degree as she didn't want to be with someone who isn't working (whether studying or not).

The problem now is, I think she sees herself as a highflyer whilst she's watched me plateau and crumble from the amount of stress I deal with on a daily basis with insignificant pay increases. I hate to admit it, but she's probably outgrown our relationship and sees no benefit of being with me. I'm on comfortable money but she earns more now. I'm ngl I'm pretty heartbroken. Any time we argue it tends to resort in her saying "I think maybe we need a break from each other" and me almost lightly begging. The ball is in her court and she isn't afraid of our relationship ending by the sounds of things.

Original post by sufys
2 years?!
You should move on then.

Mmm maybe you're right! I guess I just love her too much to let go
I came to say that maybe she found religion or something of the sort, but that relationship is basically over.
That's true. I guess I'm just scared of losing her. I'm not exactly a man full of options.

Her job specification hasn't changed with her pay raises. To be honest when we first started dating she would say how much she loves her job. I don't think that has changed otherwise she would have said something by now.

I on the other hand have been sticking at my stressful career which I was actually on the road to changing before I met her. I turned down an undergraduate degree as she didn't want to be with someone who isn't working (whether studying or not).

The problem now is, I think she sees herself as a highflyer whilst she's watched me plateau and crumble from the amount of stress I deal with on a daily basis with insignificant pay increases. I hate to admit it, but she's probably outgrown our relationship and sees no benefit of being with me. I'm on comfortable money but she earns more now. I'm ngl I'm pretty heartbroken. Any time we argue it tends to resort in her saying "I think maybe we need a break from each other" and me almost lightly begging. The ball is in her court and she isn't afraid of our relationship ending by the sounds of things.

Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:

You need to remember that you have plenty of options available.
There are lots of attractive single girls in the dating sea who will be interested in dating you or hooking up, with zero interest in how large your paycheck is.

The next time that she asks for a break don't grovel or apologise.
That justs makes it even more obvious that you are absolutely desperate to keep the relationship going at any and costs.
Respond calmly that you have had enough of a sexless relationship with little mutual emotional investment and want to break up forever.
Then pack up and move on, with no contact for at leats 18 months.
Plenty more single female fish in the sea with compatible ambitions, values and dealbreakers to you.
Good luck!
Original post by SagaciousSag
I came to say that maybe she found religion or something of the sort, but that relationship is basically over.

Thank you for your honesty.

Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:

You need to remember that you have plenty of options available.
There are lots of attractive single girls in the dating sea who will be interested in dating you or hooking up, with zero interest in how large your paycheck is.

The next time that she asks for a break don't grovel or apologise.
That justs makes it even more obvious that you are absolutely desperate to keep the relationship going at any and costs.
Respond calmly that you have had enough of a sexless relationship with little mutual emotional investment and want to break up forever.
Then pack up and move on, with no contact for at leats 18 months.
Plenty more single female fish in the sea with compatible ambitions, values and dealbreakers to you.
Good luck!

Thank you. This is the kind of chat I've been needing. As a man it's very difficult to open up about these things to close friends without being judged or taking a huge hit to the ego. If she was the one to break up with me she'd have all the support she needs whilst I would have to try pick myself up on my own and carry on going to my stressful job like "normal" sat in a cubical feeling sorry for myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending