Pineapple27272
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone, Please could someone help me with this q?Lactase is an enzyme that breaks down lactose into glucose and galactose.A student made some alginate beads containing lactase.The student added 10 beads to 20 cm3 of a solution of lactose, as shown in Figure 9. The student timed how long it took for glucose to be produced.The experiment was repeated using 15, 20 and 25 beads.
fifi5768
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Pineapple27272)
Hi everyone, Please could someone help me with this q?Lactase is an enzyme that breaks down lactose into glucose and galactose.A student made some alginate beads containing lactase.The student added 10 beads to 20 cm3 of a solution of lactose, as shown in Figure 9. The student timed how long it took for glucose to be produced.The experiment was repeated using 15, 20 and 25 beads.
sorry, what's the question?
Pineapple27272
Rep:
(Original post by fifi5768)
sorry, what's the question?
The results are shown in Figure 10.
Number of beads containing lactose : Time taken to produce glucose in seconds
10 = 240
15 = 210
20 = 150
25 = 120

(i) What is the rate of reaction for 25 beads?
A 0.008 s−1
B 0.04 s−1
C 0.21 s−1
D 4.8 s−1
Pineapple27272
Rep:
(Original post by fifi5768)
so rate is equal to basically the amount / time
25/120 = 0.21

i think the answer is C, do you have a mark scheme?
That’s exactly what I thought but it says A?!
newgoose
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Pineapple27272)
That’s exactly what I thought but it says A?!
The answer is A because rate of reaction (s–1) = 1 / time taken (s), so 1/120 = 0.008
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (13)
24.53%
As I expected (15)
28.3%
Harder (22)
41.51%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
5.66%

Watched Threads