Trip to St Andrews

Watch this thread
_Rusty_
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So me ma and I visited St Andrews from Monday 9th May to Thursday 12 May.

In short wow, anyone going to St A is going to love it.

Travelling is a right nightmare due to all of the waiting during changeover (It was about 5 hours travelling and 4 hours waiting)

Monday we got there quite late so checked into the hotel which is on the edge of the town and went into the town centre to look for a place to eat. We went to a local sports bar called The Rule, it was a pretty good atmosphere there. The only issue is because most of the students have left, you could really only imagine what it would have looked like if it was packed! We then got takeaway from a place called Tailend, the fish and chips were lovely. Decent price as well

Tuesday/Wednesday we booked a free tour with the uni. We saw the Quad, the main library, the union and one of the accommodations (forgotten the name of it). It was nice to get to see some of the main bit. A lot of the buildings are very Oxbridge-esque with a tonne of green as well. We saw the castle and cathedral as well as East and West Sands. Got a Red Leicester and Chorizo Toastie on West sands GANFYD it was lovely. The view of the cathedral above and pier definitely helped! We also went to the golf course walking across that field was *scary*. We ofc saw the Medical School, brought a little tear to my eye to see it in the flesh. The building looks lovely and is massive and a brucey bonus is that it is only a 2 minute walk away from the beach and about 5 from the town centre. We went to several nice restaurants, Forgan's being the most notable. A brilliant pub if that is your thing is Molly Malones, doesn't sell food but does sell a £3.55 Guinness which doesn't taste ha;f bad either. That's another point, you can definitely see what students mean about it being more pub-based, the place was filled with them.

Thursday we got the shuttle back to the airport and then home, definitely recommend the shuttle over the 2 buses over there as it is just far more comfortable, simple, and you know you are going to get there on time.

I have forgotten about tonnes of stuff that happened but feel free to ask any questions about anything and I'll try my best to answer
Last edited by _Rusty_; 1 month ago
Angiogram1
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _Rusty_)

Travelling is a right nightmare due to all of the waiting during changeover (It was about 5 hours travelling and 4 hours waiting)

Monday we got there quite late so checked into the hotel which is on the edge of the town and went into the town centre to look for a place to eat. We went to a local sports bar called The Rule, it was a pretty good atmosphere there. The only issue is because most of the students have left, you could really only imagine what it would have looked like if it was packed! We then got takeaway from a place called Tailend, the fish and chips were lovely. Decent price as well

Tuesday/Wednesday we booked a free tour with the uni. We saw the Quad, the main library, the union and one of the accommodations (forgotten the name of it). It was nice to get to see some of the main bit. A lot of the buildings are very Oxbridge-esque with a tonne of green as well. We saw the castle and cathedral as well as East and West Sands. Got a Red Leicester and Chorizo Toastie on West sands GANFYD it was lovely. The view of the cathedral above and pier definitely helped! We also went to the golf course walking across that field was *scary*. We ofc saw the Medical School, brought a little tear to my eye to see it in the flesh. The building looks lovely and is massive and a brucey bonus is that it is only a 2 minute walk away from the beach and about 5 from the town centre. We went to several nice restaurants, Forgan's being the most notable. A brilliant pub if that is your thing is Molly Malones, doesn't sell food but does sell a £3.55 Guinness which doesn't taste ha;f bad either. That's another point, you can definitely see what students mean about it being more pub-based, the place was filled with them.

Thursday we got the shuttle back to the airport and then home, definitely recommend the shuttle over the 2 buses over there as it is just far more comfortable, simple, and you know you are going to get there on time.

I have forgotten about tonnes of stuff that happened but feel free to ask any questions about anything and I'll try my best to answer
It’s a stunning place but make are you are on it for accommodation in year 2 as loads of first years still haven’t found anything for next year
_Rusty_
Rep:
(Original post by Angiogram1)
It’s a stunning place but make are you are on it for accommodation in year 2 as loads of first years still haven’t found anything for next year
I applied for accom this year about 6 weeks ago. I don't need to worry about year 2 accommodation atm though
Angiogram1
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I applied for accom this year about 6 weeks ago. I don't need to worry about year 2 accommodation atm though
No I know but I’m just telling you you need to sort year 2 out early after you start. I understand the uni is looking at accommodation in Leuchars/ Dundee as not enough in StA ( it will be an issue for a number of years as oversubscribed previous 2 years)
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Glad you enjoyed the trip
_Rusty_
Rep:
(Original post by Angiogram1)
No I know but I’m just telling you you need to sort year 2 out early after you start. I understand the uni is looking at accommodation in Leuchars/ Dundee as not enough in StA ( it will be an issue for a number of years as oversubscribed previous 2 years)
Ahh right I understand, thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (18)
28.57%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (31)
49.21%
First aid skills (3)
4.76%
Personal safety skills (1)
1.59%
Sign language (8)
12.7%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (1)
1.59%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.59%

Watched Threads