The Student Room Group

got a 2.2 in second year, is an overall first impossible?

so for my second year i'm probably going to scrape a 2.2, i have two assignments yet to be marked and i'm currently on about 441/1000 which is 44.1% but my other two assignments should bring this over 50% so yeah, basically scraping a 2.2. My second year is worth 40% and third year 60%, would someone be able to tell me if a first is possible?
It's technically possible, but might be quite difficult to achieve (how difficult probably depends on your subject/marking framework).

Assuming that you get a 50% overall this year, you'd need to get at least 83.33% next year to get a first. Here's the maths so you can plug in whatever your actual final mark for the year is (x represents the score you need to achieve in third year).
(0.4*50) + 0.6x = 70
20 + 0.6x = 70
0.6x = 50
x = 50/0.6
x 83.33
Hi!
Thank you for replying :wink: how did you work that out? Just so i can do it myself again once i get my mark - i do Psychology so it is difficult but not too difficult if I do put in the work for it (which i defo didn’t do this year)
Original post by Anonymous
so for my second year i'm probably going to scrape a 2.2, i have two assignments yet to be marked and i'm currently on about 441/1000 which is 44.1% but my other two assignments should bring this over 50% so yeah, basically scraping a 2.2. My second year is worth 40% and third year 60%, would someone be able to tell me if a first is possible?

Its probably technically possible on paper, but the standard you’ll have to improve will be very large and the reality is a student typically getting low 50s will have to transform themselves into one routinely getting mid 80s (essentially you need to go from the bottom quartile of your course to the top 5%)…

So yes it’s possible but it’ll take a huge change in the way you approach your course, that said id highly encourage anyone to push themselves. Grit, motivation & hard working are excellent attributes to build that will get you far whatever happens!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi!
Thank you for replying :wink: how did you work that out? Just so i can do it myself again once i get my mark - i do Psychology so it is difficult but not too difficult if I do put in the work for it (which i defo didn’t do this year)

My original maths was this:
(0.4*50) + 0.6x = 70
20 + 0.6x = 70
0.6x = 50
x = 50/0.6
x 83.33

So to work it out when you get your actual grades:
(0.4 * (mark this year)) + (0.6 * (mark you need next year)) = 70

0.6 * (mark you need next year) = 70 - (0.4 * (mark this year))

Mark you need next year = (70 - (0.4 * (mark this year)))/0.6
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending