BrightBlueStar11
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
can anyone please let me know the difference between antigen and receptor?
Thanks
newgoose
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
A receptor brings about a response to a stimulus to produce an effect
An antigen allows for cells to recognise each other
hope this is helpful! let me know if you need more help >:3
BrightBlueStar11
Rep:
(Original post by newgoose)
A receptor brings about a response to a stimulus to produce an effect
An antigen allows for cells to recognise each other
hope this is helpful! let me know if you need more help >:3
thanks
Can I also ask if VNTRs are found at the same location within chromosome for all people?
newgoose
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BrightBlueStar11)
thanks
Can I also ask if VNTRs are found at the same location within chromosome for all people?
VNTRs can occur in different places in the genome (and chromosome), so they are found in different locations on different people! this is what genetic fingerprinting is, and the probability of two individuals having the same genetic fingerprint is very low as is the chance of having the same number of VNTRs at each place in the DNA
So in theory, some people could have VNTRs in the same place, but it is super rare!
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thanks
An addition and light detailed answer to newgoose good explanations:
Receptors exist to localize cells in order to stimulate them. According to their functions they transmit stimuli or initiate a metabolism. Antigens are fixed to pathogens to give the anti bodies a "reminder" where they are to defend.
BrightBlueStar11
Rep:
thank you so much guys, it is really helpful
mai5i3llen
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thanks
an antigen is a molecule on the surface of every cell, for example a pathogen, that has a specific shape to it's cell type, these can bind to receptors or are used in cell communication. A receptor is also a molecule on the surface of cells however these are in charge of binding to the antigen or stimulus and this causes an effect, such as hormone release
BrightBlueStar11
Rep:
(Original post by mai5i3llen)
an antigen is a molecule on the surface of every cell, for example a pathogen, that has a specific shape to it's cell type, these can bind to receptors or are used in cell communication. A receptor is also a molecule on the surface of cells however these are in charge of binding to the antigen or stimulus and this causes an effect, such as hormone release
thank you so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads