The Student Room Group

bad IGCSE, for neuroscience

I only gave 6 igcses (math, bio, chem, physics, english language, information technology) because that's the number my school deems appropriate. I recently learned that the most british schools give 8 to 10. I want to apply to neuroscience course. Does this lower my chance to get accepted at top unis. Do I even have a chance? Well, my grades at the subjects I gave aren't exactly bad. I got 6A*s. I also gave 4AS (AAAA). I plan to give 3A2s next year. What are my chances of acceptance. I am very worried. Should I just give up?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ddneje8idmxj
I only gave 6 igcses (math, bio, chem, physics, english language, information technology) because that's the number my school deems appropriate. I recently learned that the most british schools give 8 to 10. I want to apply to neuroscience course. Does this lower my chance to get accepted at top unis. Do I even have a chance? Well, my grades at the subjects I gave aren't exactly bad. I got 6A*s. I also gave 4AS (AAAA). I plan to give 3A2s next year. What are my chances of acceptance. I am very worried. Should I just give up?

Assuming you are planning to apply to UK universities, as long as your relatively low number of IGCSE with excellent grades are explained in your UCAS reference it won't be a problem. Most universities place much more emphasis on A level results and with excellent AS grades already achieved will be satisfied with your academics.
Original post by gdunne42
Assuming you are planning to apply to UK universities, as long as your relatively low number of IGCSE with excellent grades are explained in your UCAS reference it won't be a problem. Most universities place much more emphasis on A level results and with excellent AS grades already achieved will be satisfied with your academics.

Wow, I am in exactly same situation. Our school only allows 6 too. But the difference is I want to apply to Oxford. Do I have a chance there? I heard Oxford places great emphasis on gcses.
Original post by Ichko
Wow, I am in exactly same situation. Our school only allows 6 too. But the difference is I want to apply to Oxford. Do I have a chance there? I heard Oxford places great emphasis on gcses.

Oxford do place some emphasis on GCSE achievement as it correlates well with success there.
PLEASE don't go by what you hear. Check the Oxford web site where you'll find lots of information on entry requirements and what they are looking for in successful candidates. Check out the various forums on TSR for advice on applying to Oxford for your chosen subject.
If you are an exceptional candidate as shown by A level performance, relevant aptitude test scores etc then they would consider your application.
Original post by gdunne42
Oxford do place some emphasis on GCSE achievement as it correlates well with success there.
PLEASE don't go by what you hear. Check the Oxford web site where you'll find lots of information on entry requirements and what they are looking for in successful candidates. Check out the various forums on TSR for advice on applying to Oxford for your chosen subject.
If you are an exceptional candidate as shown by A level performance, relevant aptitude test scores etc then they would consider your application.

well thanks. that relieves me. i am not familiar with british school system so some things confused me a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest