why is it that after so much preparation unexpected questions come up in an interview

Watch this thread
Anon346775
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
and you fail it?
Eigenvectorxyz
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Anon346775)
and you fail it?
It shows that you actually didn't have a clue what the role is, either that or you don't have the skills to match the requirements of the role.
Anon346775
Rep:
(Original post by Eigenvectorxyz)
It shows that you actually didn't have a clue what the role is, either that or you don't have the skills to match the requirements of the role.
there are things I wish I said during the interview but didn’t and there are things I wish I didn’t say.
username5959863
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Wow that's is completely wrong not only would they see your qualifications in your resume, but depending on the position and quality of the company and job at hand, they wouldn't even require you to have enough knowledge of the role other than some really basic elements, it sounds like your an entitled **** to be honest who highest job role has been part time at a relatives businesses

for the other person, they tend to throw in unexpected question often to test off the cuff answers or to see how expansive you knowledge possibly if there is some physical elements it can be to test pressure in intense situations, sometimes if the question is related or indirectly to your CV that's usually to fill out plot holes with your resume or too test you on weather or not you telling the truth

But for future reference be 1000% confident in what you are saying even if its wrong, make sure that even if your going to lie (which you shouldn't) but make sure you have all basis covered.

PSA - ignore people like Eigenvectorxyz, unfortunately they tend to spout complete **** based on little to no knowledge of how interviews work.
Last edited by username5959863; 2 days ago
Son of the Sea
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
You’re being too vague. By the nature of an interview you can’t know exactly what all the questions are going to be. You can prepare to an extent but you also need to be able to think on your feet and apply stuff you already know to new questions, which is particularly relevant in interviews that comprise a technical section.

As a side note, can you stop spamming so many threads about different interview questions? It would be more helpful to keep all your queries in one thread.
threeportdrift
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by username5959863)
Wow that's is completely wrong not only would they see your qualifications in your resume, but depending on the position and quality of the company and job at hand, they wouldn't even require you to have enough knowledge of the role other than some really basic elements,
Err, which sector and country do you currently conduct interviews for? A CV is a tool to get you to interview, once you are there then you can expect the questions to go much further than the facts you have given, and explore the application of your experience.
and you fail it?
You aren't demonstrating enough intellectual agility for the employer. You are presenting in a way that is too formulaic in a job that isn't formulaic. Even simple entry level jobs like waiting tables require you to be able to think on your feet and deal with random customer issues etc.

When you get a question that you don't immediately have an answer to first of all try and think why they might be asking, what skill is it that they are trying to explore. If you aren't sure, you can always ask for clarification.

A hypothetical is not as strong an answer, but if it's only one time in the whole interview, if you've never had the experience they are asking about, you can say so, eg. "Well I've never actually met that situation in the past, but if I did, I would ....."
Anon346775
Rep:
because of the interview I will never get a job
osmarks
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
There are actually multiple companies offering jobs, so I doubt this. Anyway, you can't reasonably think of all possible questions in advance (there are several), so maybe just practice answering interviewish questions in general with someone else.
Anon346775
Rep:
(Original post by osmarks)
There are actually multiple companies offering jobs, so I doubt this. Anyway, you can't reasonably think of all possible questions in advance (there are several), so maybe just practice answering interviewish questions in general with someone else.
with someone else I can do it but with the interviewer my mind goes blank
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Well that's not necessarily true It is something you can improve. Also you may well end up getting a job without an interview - a lot of temp agencies will just have a brief chat with you about what kind of roles you're looking for, and may well place you with a company without the company interviewing you. That's what happened for my last two temp roles (and it's not uncommon for some companies to hire people initially as temps and then have them move into permanent roles later)
Anon346775
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Well that's not necessarily true It is something you can improve. Also you may well end up getting a job without an interview - a lot of temp agencies will just have a brief chat with you about what kind of roles you're looking for, and may well place you with a company without the company interviewing you. That's what happened for my last two temp roles (and it's not uncommon for some companies to hire people initially as temps and then have them move into permanent roles later)
Was going to say I wish there was no interview to pass.

Because interviews require you to think on your feet I can never pass, sometimes I have answers prepared but can’t come up with answers in the interview.
Eigenvectorxyz
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Was going to say I wish there was no interview to pass.

Because interviews require you to think on your feet I can never pass, sometimes I have answers prepared but can’t come up with answers in the interview.
Yes, but you do realise that the job you'll do will also require you to think on your feet? Working under pressure or dealing with conflicting priorities or the ability to work in a fast paced environment are some of the skills that the employers would be looking for. And you probably didn't demonstrate those skills because you did not pass the interview. It means that you should develop this skill and then come back to try and pass the interview when you're ready.
Last edited by Eigenvectorxyz; 2 days ago
Anon346775
Rep:
Yes, but you do realise that the job you'll do will also require you to think on your feet? Working under pressure or dealing with conflicting priorities or the ability to work in a fast paced environment are some of the skills that the employers would be looking for. And you probably didn't demonstrate those skills because you did not pass the interview. It means that you should develop this skill and then come back to try and pass the interview when you're ready.
The job I was interviewing for was entry level, decent pay though. I am assuming I didn’t pass the interview and would be very surprised if I did after today. I only just had the interview today. I was interviewing for a marketing assistant role for £9.50 and minimum wage for my age is £9.18
Anon346775
Rep:
I’m not going to even wait for the outcome of this interview, I’m just going to start applying for other roles because I know its going to be a no.

I had a telephone interview meaning I could have used the cheat sheet to jog my memory but instead I decide to answer 2 questions using my brain when the answers are literally written down. I think I messed up on 4/6 questions when that could have been narrowed down to 2/6 giving me some chance of getting this job. The answers are written down so why did I have to say something without thinking?
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
Are these your first ever interviews? Just treat them as practice, learn from them and move forward. They may ask you for examples of how you helped others etc. Please do have some of these examples ready.

£9.50 is not such a bad wage for your first job. You will learn to problem solve and deal with customers. You will learn patience and empathy. You can use this first job as a stepping stone to the next, higher paid job.

Just don’t give up. There is a job with your name on somewhere. Just take a deep breath, smile and concentrate hard on the questions so you don’t start to panic.

Interviewers are human and don’t bite! They may not even like interviewing and may be as nervous as you

Good luck
Anon346775
Rep:
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Are these your first ever interviews? Just treat them as practice, learn from them and move forward. They may ask you for examples of how you helped others etc. Please do have some of these examples ready.

£9.50 is not such a bad wage for your first job. You will learn to problem solve and deal with customers. You will learn patience and empathy. You can use this first job as a stepping stone to the next, higher paid job.

Just don’t give up. There is a job with your name on somewhere. Just take a deep breath, smile and concentrate hard on the questions so you don’t start to panic.

Interviewers are human and don’t bite! They may not even like interviewing and may be as nervous as you

Good luck
second job, first job was a part time 6 month contract that was part of the kickstart scheme where the dwp made 6 month work placements for those on UC and at risk of long term unemployment, got paid £6.56 back then (minimum wage for my age at 20), that interview was rubbish but got it. I had an interview since then and that one was quite bad compared to this interview, so I am glad I am making progress on the interviews even if it doesn’t seem like it. This would have been my second job.
Last edited by Anon346775; 2 days ago
Anon346775
Rep:
its fine I didn’t want it anyway, first of all I thought the pay was a bit low and secondly I didn’t want to work in marketing, I wanted to work in admin so it isn’t the end of the world.
Anon346775
Rep:
If you got an email regarding an interview date a week and a day later how long after do you think they are going to tell me about the outcome?
Oxford Mum
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
If you got an email regarding an interview date a week and a day later how long after do you think they are going to tell me about the outcome?
Please be patient at this point, as they may be interviewing others and might not have reached a decision
Anon346775
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
I had a lot more to say for that interview but couldn’t, felt like the interviewer was rushing me and the interview only lasted 18 minutes, she didn’t even ask that many questions and I was prepared for them it was just that I couldn’t answer at the time.
Last edited by Anon346775; 13 hours ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (121)
42.01%
Not yet, but I will soon (53)
18.4%
No (114)
39.58%

Watched Threads