The Student Room Group

NICS Staff Officer and Deputy Principal recruitment 2022 2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beenthinking
Anyone who was part of the last trawl, do you have rough timings of
- how long from the last interview did you hear you had passed
- how long from when you passed did you get results?
- how long from when you got results that you received your specific placement?
- how long from you received notification of this placement did you start the role?

I think I got notification of both DP and SO within around a month after the assessment centre. Feedback was issued at more or less the same time.

I was notified that I'd passed the assessment centre for SO in January (2021). I was near the bottom of the merit list, but was offered my specific placement in May that year, which I thought for such a low place on the list - and given the general efficiency of HRC / NICSHR, I thought this was quite good 😂

They expected me to start within either two or three weeks of that offer letter. Thought they had a right nerve asking me to organise mysrlf at the drop of a hat after the length of the recruitment process. Anyway, I told them I had a notice to work so managed to get a few weeks extra so it all worked out in the end.
Original post by Bill77
Would I be right in suggesting that, although a good presentation that covers the competencies is necessary, the main focus is on your interview and examples?

It's hard to say from the 'other side' (i.e. from the panel perspective) as there isn't a presentation element for the EO. So I don't know how they score it. But based on going through the SO/DP process myself, I'd say yes - the 2019 competition didn't have a pass mark for the presentation so they clearly put more weight then in the Q&A. No idea if that's still the same this year though.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Bill77
Would I be right in suggesting that, although a good presentation that covers the competencies is necessary, the main focus is on your interview and examples?

I failed in2019 on my presentation as didn’t cover competencies and passed interview so all parts important.
Original post by TinkysWinky
I have a general question for anyone who has done NICS interviewing before - how do you convert what is said into a numerical score. Is there guidance on it like 2 points per competency point mentioned or similar? Aware at EO1 I was awarded an extra half point and always wondered how it was scored

Literally guess work. It's tough because even though you aren't supposed to, you can't help but compare, so if on the first day you gave someone say a 14 out of 20, then on the last day you know the answer was better than that so you think you'll give a 16 but you think it wasn't as good as another 16 you gave 2 days ago, total brain melt.

But to be honest, overall it doesn't matter that much, you know who has passed and after the discussions with the other panel members, you are pretty content with the rough merit list, it's the ones that you know haven't quite made it are the toughest to score.

The half point was just to differentiate you from someone else on the same score, so take heart in the fact that they (most likely) thought you were the better one so gave you an extra half point.
That's really interesting thank you guys
Original post by 21Dream
I failed in2019 on my presentation as didn’t cover competencies and passed interview so all parts important.

My problem is, I believe my presentation was fine and covered all competencies but my answers to the questions that followed weren't as strong as I would have liked. So I don't know where that leaves me.
Original post by Bill77
My problem is, I believe my presentation was fine and covered all competencies but my answers to the questions that followed weren't as strong as I would have liked. So I don't know where that leaves me.

I'm in the same boat. I'm pretty sure it hinges on my presentation and follow-up as I think my interview went quite well. I've had a look at my speaking notes and the criteria in the framework and am wondering how many of those I needed to hit to pass that competency. Suppose we will find out soon enough!
Original post by Bill77

I am sure you covered them all. I passed two of the clusters but failed on strategic so ensuring cover that more this time. Can’t wait to have mine over tomorrow.
Original post by 21Dream
I am sure you covered them all. I passed two of the clusters but failed on strategic so ensuring cover that more this time. Can’t wait to have mine over tomorrow.

Good luck! We could be waiting into early Aug for results if more interviews being held w/c 18th July.
Original post by Bill77
Good luck! We could be waiting into early Aug for results if more interviews being held w/c 18th July.

Thank you - yes might have a wait for results
There were 6 weeks between the end of the EO1 interviews and the results. Prepare yourself for a long wait and anything sooner is a bonus
There were 6 weeks between the end of the EO1 interviews and the results. Prepare yourself for a long wait and anything sooner is a bonus

If the interviews ended as planned (i.e. this Friday) then I thought results could have been delivered either Fri 22nd or 29th, but, assuming it is true that there will be interviews held w/c 18th then you are looking at 5th or 12th Aug, at least
Just from experience I would prepare yourself for end of August / early Sept and then anything earlier would be a bonus lol
Just from experience I would prepare yourself for end of August / early Sept and then anything earlier would be a bonus lol

Probably right!
In theory, they can notify applicants if they've passed or failed the interview immediately, with merit position to follow.

But in NICS, they generally wait until all applicants have been interviewed.

And then add a few weeks or months on before they let everyone know, just for fun :-/
Has anyone heard for definite that interviews will go beyond the planned end date of 8th July?
I think a couple of the earlier posts on here mentioned something about it.
Hey guys how many questions was everyone asked after the presentation?
Original post by Bill77
Has anyone heard for definite that interviews will go beyond the planned end date of 8th July?

Yes I asked my panel they said interviews taking place week of 18th July too
Anyone any information on when results of the DP sift are expected? Given interviews are so far away are they currently sifting the applications?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending