Feedback from Cambridge Application and next steps

Watch this thread
jellyfish312
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys, I applied for Computer Science at Cambridge Uni this year. However, after being winter pooled, my application was unsuccessful. I got my feedback today and it explained that my application (prior to interview) was exceptional and they gave me an interview without hesitation. They said that my performance at interview was well above average but that I could've possibly got an offer if I had slightly better performance. Essentially, I was so close but missed it. And I totally understand computer science at cambridge is competitive.

However, I was wondering whether there was any point of me re-applying for next year (considering I was so close). My previous and predicted grades were as high as they could possibly be; my ps+teacher ref was decent I think (imo), my admissions test score (TMUA) was quite high. What concerns me more is that I got rejected from Imperial and UCL too, and I hold an offer at KCL only - so I'm worried if a gap year will gamble with me going to uni (if KCL doesn't give me an offer again). I'm pretty happy with KCL anyways as it's in London but I feel I could get better.

Sorry for the long explanation, but does anyone have any suggestions please. Thanks so much.
Last edited by jellyfish312; 1 month ago
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jellyfish312)
but I feel I could get better.
Apart from bragging, is a place at KCL so terrible.
Clearly not or you wouldnt have applied there.
jellyfish312
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Apart from bragging, is a place at KCL so terrible.
Clearly not or you wouldnt have applied there.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bragging. I'm just considering my options. A place at KCL is amazing - it's defo a dream uni to get into. But I was wondering if I re-apply, do I have a chance to get something like Oxbridge. I really liked Cambridge's CS course.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jellyfish312)
Hey guys, I applied for Computer Science at Cambridge Uni this year. However, after being winter pooled, my application was unsuccessful. I got my feedback today and it explained that my application (prior to interview) was exceptional and they gave me an interview without hesitation. They said that my performance at interview was well above average but that I could've possibly got an offer if I had slightly better performance. Essentially, I was so close but missed it. And I totally understand computer science at cambridge is competitive.

However, I was wondering whether there was any point of me re-applying for next year (considering I was so close). My previous and predicted grades were as high as they could possibly be; my ps+teacher ref was decent I think (imo), my admissions test score (TMUA) was quite high. What concerns me more is that I got rejected from Imperial and UCL too, and I hold an offer at KCL only - so I'm worried if a gap year will gamble with me going to uni (if KCL doesn't give me an offer again). I'm pretty happy with KCL anyways as it's in London but I feel I could get better.

Sorry for the long explanation, but does anyone have any suggestions please. Thanks so much.
See what your grades are like. If they are as strong as predicted and you can find something useful to do in a gap year and you can improve your interview performance, you will be in a strong position to get a wider and potentially strong set of offers. Universities don't have memories, there's no specific reason why you won't get a KCL offer again next year, and a decent chance you will get more.
jellyfish312
Rep:
(Original post by threeportdrift)
See what your grades are like. If they are as strong as predicted and you can find something useful to do in a gap year and you can improve your interview performance, you will be in a strong position to get a wider and potentially strong set of offers. Universities don't have memories, there's no specific reason why you won't get a KCL offer again next year, and a decent chance you will get more.
Thanks for your input. However, the chance of another rejection next year is putting me off (considering I did a lot of preparation for this year itself but still narrowly missed out). And cs is getting very competitive year upon year. Tho, I'll consider my options. Thank you!
EternalKnight_02
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You only live once
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
28.02%
As I expected (72)
31.03%
Harder (87)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.45%

Watched Threads