The Student Room Group

GCSE English Literature advice!!

hello! im a year 11 student who is in top set English and despite getting grade 8's in English language I can barely get a 6 in literature.

I always include context, structure and deep analysis in my work so I don't get where im going wrong?! my teacher isn't very helpful and I feel as if he marks our work too harshly. Has anyone got any tips?

I study:
love and relationships poetry anthology, Romeo and Juliet, a Christmas Carol and unseen poetry!!

any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
Reply 1
Hihi! Grade 9 eng lit & lang Y11 here. Has your teacher ever mentioned what you could work on? It may be worth asking to speak with him after a lesson and go through some of your work to see i what you could improve.

Everything you said you include should end up getting you a fair amount of marks when written well. I’d recommend making sure you understand the texts really well and using evidence from a wide range of areas in the text. Constantly link back to the question you’re being asked and constantly explain why the writer included that theme, motif or method in the first place. (For example, the motif of fire/light in ACC) Noting those repeating ideas and then zooming out to explain why is what I’ve been taught to do to get higher levels. Often times my class end up getting so caught up in language analysis that they forget the main point they are answering. Also highlighting the method used is always very important!

It’s hard to give advice not having seen work so i’d definitely recommend speaking to your teacher. The only text I do similarly to you is A Christmas Carol so i’m open to any questions you may have about that text specifically. I really don’t know if this will help at all but I hope you do great in your exams! You got this <33
Reply 2
Original post by goj8s
Hihi! Grade 9 eng lit & lang Y11 here. Has your teacher ever mentioned what you could work on? It may be worth asking to speak with him after a lesson and go through some of your work to see i what you could improve.

Everything you said you include should end up getting you a fair amount of marks when written well. I’d recommend making sure you understand the texts really well and using evidence from a wide range of areas in the text. Constantly link back to the question you’re being asked and constantly explain why the writer included that theme, motif or method in the first place. (For example, the motif of fire/light in ACC) Noting those repeating ideas and then zooming out to explain why is what I’ve been taught to do to get higher levels. Often times my class end up getting so caught up in language analysis that they forget the main point they are answering. Also highlighting the method used is always very important!

It’s hard to give advice not having seen work so i’d definitely recommend speaking to your teacher. The only text I do similarly to you is A Christmas Carol so i’m open to any questions you may have about that text specifically. I really don’t know if this will help at all but I hope you do great in your exams! You got this <33

thank you so much, yeah I think I might email him. As when we get assessments back e.g i got one back today, he gives us 'whole class feedback' which really isn't helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest