Unis for business management undergraduate

Watch this thread
R4V
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Hi there just wondering of some of the best unis for business management undergraduate. Or business management with marketing. Preferably with a placement for these courses

Unfortunately I don’t take A level maths so pretty much all of the london ones are out of question. Places like Oxford,Cambridge,ucl are also out of the question.

Please help me recommend. So far I’ve liked the look of leeds, Leicester, liverpool, reading, Aston & NTU. if anyone can give me thoughts on these or further recommendations it’ll really help.
jerry-lil
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 days ago
Most universities will allow you to take a placement, even if you have only been accepted onto the standard 3 year course (I went to Leicester, studied Economics and Management with a Placement Year in Project Management - loved it!). The uni’s that have a good reputation amongst students and rankings, and that I would recommend:

Nottingham
Reading
Aston
Leicester
Bristol
Queen Mary
Surrey
Loughborough
Bath
Sussex
CASS/BAYES Business School (City in London)
Royal Holloway
Manchester
Lancaster
Southampton

They all have that typical uni campus bubble feel, whilst still being either in or just outside big cities and are therefore super sociable, diverse and welcoming (less true of Lancaster and Loughborough but both are close to Manchester and Leicester, respectfully!)

The uni’s that are in bold in particular, are accredited by various management boards and financial services. This could prove helpful when looking for a grad job as companies that use certifications from these companies will scout these uni’s the most.

Finally, I would say to make sure that you have a look at the core modules studied in each course for each uni. Some universities may take a more traditional route and treat business management as a social science (think lots of political economy essays and fundamentals of management science). Some uni’s tend to take a more modern route and incorporate data analytics and more vocational skills in their modules (think accounting, research methods, maths for business). Some uni’s (like leicester) take a balanced approach between both qualitative and quantitative aspects.

*I will say that for the current climate, jobs are starting to appreciate the vocational route; the ideal degree would be a Bsc Business Analytics degree. Hard to get into without maths, but I would suggest finding a Uni that offers these business-analytics-type modules as they may set you apart from future business grads in the long term*

Hope that helps!!!
Last edited by jerry-lil; 2 days ago
R4V
Rep:
(Original post by jerry-lil)
Most universities will allow you to take a placement, even if you have only been accepted onto the standard 3 year course (I went to Leicester, studied Economics and Management with a Placement Year in Project Management - loved it!). The uni’s that have a good reputation amongst students and rankings, and that I would recommend:

Nottingham
Reading
Aston
Leicester
Bristol
Queen Mary
Surrey
Loughborough
Bath
Sussex
CASS/BAYES Business School (City in London)
Royal Holloway
Manchester
Lancaster
Southampton

They all have that typical uni campus bubble feel, whilst still being either in or just outside big cities and are therefore super sociable, diverse and welcoming (less true of Lancaster and Loughborough but both are close to Manchester and Leicester, respectfully!)

The uni’s that are in bold particular, are accredited by management boards, and financial services, which is super good as when looking for a grad job, business that use certifications from these companies will scout these uni’s the most.

Finally, I would say make sure you have a look at the modules required in each course for each uni. Some universities may take a more traditional route and treat business as a social science (think lots of political economy essays and fundamentals of management). Some uni’s take a more modern route and incorporate more analytical vocational skills in their modules (think accounting, research methods, maths for business). Some uni’s (like leicester) take a balanced approach between both qualitative and quantitative aspects.

*I will say that for the current climate, more jobs are starting to appreciate the vocational route; the ideal degree would be a Bsc Business Analytics degree. Hard to get into without maths, but I would suggest finding a Uni that offers these core mathematical data-based modules*

Hope that helps!!!
This has been so much help thank you!! I like the look of reading, Leicester & Aston.
jerry-lil
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by R4V)
This has been so much help thank you!! I like the look of reading, Leicester & Aston.
no worries!

I would say that all uni’s are really good but they all have their own things that set them apart from each other (in addition to going to Leicester, I have visited Reading numerous amount of times and have a mate that goes Aston). These are the three things that you will need to think about with your decisions, for any uni you choose:

Firstly, academics. All three tend to jump around in the top 30/40 uni’s generally in the UK, often reaching top 20 for certain courses. I would say that since Reading and Aston have accreditation, your degree may be worth more, but graduate prospects are very similar across the board.

Next, social life. Aston (Birmingham) and Leicester are in big cities and have multiple uni’s in their respective cities. So not only will you have a good social life, but you will meet lots of different people due to the level of diversity. Plus they are well connected to other parts of the UK via coach/train, so accessible road trips is a must. Reading isn’t as blessed in this view, but the city centre is very nice, and socials tend to be very student focused which has a nice feeling to it.

Finally, cost of living. My experience in Leicester was that it was relatively cheap, in terms of halls and moving out in second and third year. The freshers halls are a bit out of the way, but you get a free bus pass for the year, and in second/third year, it’s likely you will live in the city centre near the uni, so everything is walkable anyway. Aston, is similar to this as well, since its in a working city so lots of options for different ranges of affordability. Reading is the more expensive choice of the three, but tbf the surrounding area of reading is very nice so there’s that.
R4V
Rep:
no worries!

I would say that all uni’s are really good but they all have their own things that set them apart from each other (in addition to going to Leicester, I have visited Reading numerous amount of times and have a mate that goes Aston). These are the three things that you will need to think about with your decisions, for any uni you choose:

Firstly, academics. All three tend to jump around in the top 30/40 uni’s generally in the UK, often reaching top 20 for certain courses. I would say that since Reading and Aston have accreditation, your degree may be worth more, but graduate prospects are very similar across the board.

Next, social life. Aston (Birmingham) and Leicester are in big cities and have multiple uni’s in their respective cities. So not only will you have a good social life, but you will meet lots of different people due to the level of diversity. Plus they are well connected to other parts of the UK via coach/train, so accessible road trips is a must. Reading isn’t as blessed in this view, but the city centre is very nice, and socials tend to be very student focused which has a nice feeling to it.

Finally, cost of living. My experience in Leicester was that it was relatively cheap, in terms of halls and moving out in second and third year. The freshers halls are a bit out of the way, but you get a free bus pass for the year, and in second/third year, it’s likely you will live in the city centre near the uni, so everything is walkable anyway. Aston, is similar to this as well, since its in a working city so lots of options for different ranges of affordability. Reading is the more expensive choice of the three, but tbf the surrounding area of reading is very nice so there’s that.
I really want to get into the best uni I can but I also really need a social aspect. I’m one of the people who have never had a proper social life so this this very important to me. But also the course content. Leicester course modules i much prefer over its other rivals. Leicester also sounds more recognisable than Aston when you speak about it I guess. Just not sure what to pick. Liverpool & leeds is are other options on my list although these are super competitive I doubt I’ll be able to get in. Modules are not to my preference as Leicester is. What do you think?
R4V
Rep:
no worries!

Also worried that reading will be boring in comparison to Leicester/Aston as it’s a much smaller area. And it’s pretty expensive to live there.
jerry-lil
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
I say if you are worried about social life, then Aston and Leicester are better picks than Reading. Leicester has a good nightlife scene and an abundance of activities/food stops. Even if clubbing is not your thing, they also have a really active student union and if in Oadby, the freshers halls always plan activities Mon-Sun each week.

Aston again is very similar since its in Birmingham which is a much bigger city than Leicester. It also has 3 other uni’s sharing the city so again super diverse and you are presented with the opportunity to meet lots of different people.

I will say that Aston is probably the better uni, course wise, since its business school is very very good. Plus if you want placement opportunities, you are likely to find some located in Birmingham more than you would in Leicester (if you didn’t want to move away from your friends). I did my placement in London for example.

I would highlyyy recommend going to open days at both uni’s on different days and spending time in each city so you can really get a feel for the course structures, accommodation and city life of each place.
Overall both are really good, Leicester has a slightly better reputation due to traditions and its red brick status but Aston is a serious contender!!

Finally, if you can get into Leicester/Aston, consider these other uni’s:

Southampton
Queen Mary London
Nottingham
Sussex

They all have similar entry requirements as Leicester/Aston, and they all fit the things I said about academics, social life and cost of living (ofc Queen Mary is in London, but you get a higher student loan).
Last edited by jerry-lil; 2 days ago
R4V
Rep:
I say if you are worried about social life, then Aston and Leicester are better picks than Reading. Leicester has a good nightlife scene and an abundance of activities/food stops. Even if clubbing is not your thing, they also have a really active student union and if in Oadby, the freshers halls always plan activities Mon-Sun each week.

Aston again is very similar since its in Birmingham which is a much bigger city than Leicester. It also has 3 other uni’s sharing the city so again super diverse and you are presented with the opportunity to meet lots of different people.

I will say that Aston is probably the better uni, course wise, since its business school is very very good. Plus if you want placement opportunities, you are likely to find some located in Birmingham more than you would in Leicester (if you didn’t want to move away from your friends). I did my placement in London for example.

I would highlyyy recommend going to open days at both uni’s on different days and spending time in each city so you can really get a feel for the course structures, accommodation and city life of each place.
Overall both are really good, Leicester has a slightly better reputation due to traditions and its red brick status but Aston is a serious contender!!

Finally, if you can get into Leicester/Aston, consider these other uni’s:

Southampton
Queen Mary London
Nottingham
Sussex

They all have similar entry requirements as Leicester/Aston, and they all fit the things I said about academics, social life and cost of living (ofc Queen Mary is in London, but you get a higher student loan).
Thanks your honestly helping so much!

Leeds would be my ideal but unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be able to make it as the deadlines gone. Leicester has the modules I like in and reputation. Aston has like you say the city life and better ranking for business but less reputation. Reading has rlly good ranking too but is a lot smaller and expensive. Liverpool was another option which I know is a Russell group so it has a good reputation but the course modules I don’t like so much.. do you know anything about liverpool?

I’m pretty stuffed icl, it’s been playing on my mind. I really want to go uni this year not next year but if I don’t meet the grades or the uni has no clearing then I’ve got no choice. I don’t really want to go to a uni I don’t want to be at for first year and then transfer.
jerry-lil
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by R4V)
Thanks your honestly helping so much!

Leeds would be my ideal but unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be able to make it as the deadlines gone. Leicester has the modules I like in and reputation. Aston has like you say the city life and better ranking for business but less reputation. Reading has rlly good ranking too but is a lot smaller and expensive. Liverpool was another option which I know is a Russell group so it has a good reputation but the course modules I don’t like so much.. do you know anything about liverpool?

I’m pretty stuffed icl, it’s been playing on my mind. I really want to go uni this year not next year but if I don’t meet the grades or the uni has no clearing then I’ve got no choice. I don’t really want to go to a uni I don’t want to be at for first year and then transfer.
Are you in Year 13?

A lot of universities will have clearing spaces available from July, you will be surprised. These will open up even more on results day so I wouldn’t worry if i were you. As long as you are on target to get your predicted grades, I’m sure you can find a place in any of those uni’s above from July onwards.

This is even more true for business degrees as they are not as niche or are restricted to certain subjects; pretty much any combination of alevels can get you on a business course in any one of the uni’s you are interested in.

My knowledge of Liverpool is limited but I do know (from secondary school friends that went there), it has a great music scene and is very very sociable/lively. It is one of the lower ranking Russell groups but has still upheld its redbrick reputation so it will still be hard to get into (I’m thinking ABB).
R4V
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
Are you in Year 13?

A lot of universities will have clearing spaces available from July, you will be surprised. These will open up even more on results day so I wouldn’t worry if i were you. As long as you are on target to get your predicted grades, I’m sure you can find a place in any of those uni’s above from July onwards.

This is even more true for business degrees as they are not as niche or are restricted to certain subjects; pretty much any combination of alevels can get you on a business course in any one of the uni’s you are interested in.

My knowledge of Liverpool is limited but I do know (from secondary school friends that went there), it has a great music scene and is very very sociable/lively. It is one of the lower ranking Russell groups but has still upheld its redbrick reputation so it will still be hard to get into (I’m thinking ABB).
Yep I’m year 13.

I know reading and Leicester still have places.Although accom I’m not so sure about. Liverpool is yeh a lower RG uni and I think I could get into with ABB. my predicted are ABB (I’ve already secured an A for photography and I think I could get A in media too. Just a B in business could pose a slight challenge). But yeh whatever my results are tells me where I can and can’t go tbh.
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by R4V)
Hi there just wondering of some of the best unis for business management undergraduate. Or business management with marketing. Preferably with a placement for these courses

Unfortunately I don’t take A level maths so pretty much all of the london ones are out of question. Places like Oxford,Cambridge,ucl are also out of the question.

Please help me recommend. So far I’ve liked the look of leeds, Leicester, liverpool, reading, Aston & NTU. if anyone can give me thoughts on these or further recommendations it’ll really help.
Hi there,

To introduce myself – I’m Joao. In my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University, I work as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity.

I can understand your dilemma as I went through the same thing when deciding on a university to attend. It's great that you already know the fields you're interested in, narrowing it down quite a bit. It helped me then decide what cities I wanted to attend university in. I found that the university itself does not just determine university experience and performance, but the surrounding area as that is a 3-4yr commitment. It might also be helpful for you to work up a 'priority list' for your dream university, including factors such as tuition fees, the cost of living, ranking, distance from home, campus-style, proximity to a city centre, surrounding area, diversity, job prospects, networking opportunities, course modules, student-staff ratio, etc. Here are some valuable links to compare university degrees:

- https://universitycompare.com/
- https://www.whatuni.com/
- https://discoveruni.gov.uk/

And once you've narrowed it down and utilised tools such as UCAS, you can always head over to the specific university websites and look over the course outline and modules and the learning, teaching and assessment information to see what best suits you.

At Surrey Business School, we’re renowned for our excellent research, dynamic learning environment and strong links with industry. Our core BSc (Hons) Business Management course offers a wide choice of optional modules and allows you to explore how organisations of all sizes start, run and thrive. As a Surrey Business School student, you’ll also get hands-on experience with real businesses and gain entrepreneurial and life skills that will allow you to accelerate your innovative thinking into practice, opening up a wide range of career opportunities. Our award-winning Professional Training placements prepare students for roles in the industry. We deliver on jobs, too. We were named  the University of the Year for Graduate Employment in The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022.

Finally, the campus is lovely. Surrey is known to emphasise the social life of students and always care about how you spend your free time at university. The student union offers more than 140 societies based on any hobbies and interests students have and clubs for all kinds of sports that a student might want to take up. And even with covid restrictions, the union managed to organise one of the country's most significant covid-safe university events!

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life in general, please ask as I can help you out!

Joao
Last edited by University of Surrey Student Rep; 1 day ago
R4V
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep)
Hi there,

To introduce myself – I’m Joao. In my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University, I work as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity.

I can understand your dilemma as I went through the same thing when deciding on a university to attend. It's great that you already know the fields you're interested in, narrowing it down quite a bit. It helped me then decide what cities I wanted to attend university in. I found that the university itself does not just determine university experience and performance, but the surrounding area as that is a 3-4yr commitment. It might also be helpful for you to work up a 'priority list' for your dream university, including factors such as tuition fees, the cost of living, ranking, distance from home, campus-style, proximity to a city centre, surrounding area, diversity, job prospects, networking opportunities, course modules, student-staff ratio, etc. Here are some valuable links to compare university degrees:

- https://universitycompare.com/
- https://www.whatuni.com/
- https://discoveruni.gov.uk/

And once you've narrowed it down and utilised tools such as UCAS, you can always head over to the specific university websites and look over the course outline and modules and the learning, teaching and assessment information to see what best suits you.

At Surrey Business School, we’re renowned for our excellent research, dynamic learning environment and strong links with industry. Our core BSc (Hons) Business Management course offers a wide choice of optional modules and allows you to explore how organisations of all sizes start, run and thrive. As a Surrey Business School student, you’ll also get hands-on experience with real businesses and gain entrepreneurial and life skills that will allow you to accelerate your innovative thinking into practice, opening up a wide range of career opportunities. Our award-winning Professional Training placements prepare students for roles in the industry. We deliver on jobs, too. We were named  the University of the Year for Graduate Employment in The Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022.

Finally, the campus is lovely. Surrey is known to emphasise the social life of students and always care about how you spend your free time at university. The student union offers more than 140 societies based on any hobbies and interests students have and clubs for all kinds of sports that a student might want to take up. And even with covid restrictions, the union managed to organise one of the country's most significant covid-safe university events!

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life in general, please ask as I can help you out!

Joao
Hi there thanks for your reply.

In terms of choosing unis I definitely want to be in a city. Reading uni is only 30 mins from london however that is still 30 mins and it’s also quite expensive to travel whenever wanting to go central. Studying in london at a uni like kings would be great however I don’t have the grades for that so I’ve accepted it’s out of the question. Despite me living super far down south I’m not worried about how far away Iam from home mainly because I tend to have family members dotted all over who could potentially help me out incase of emergency’s. With studying in a city comes diversity which is important to me being a ethnic minority. Course modules are important to me aswell but so is rankings. For the time being Iam planning on trying to achieve the best grades possible to get into leeds for next year. This year I will just have to settle for either reading or Leicester as these are the next best unis I can get into. Liverpool is an option too but I can’t make the open day so I’m not too sure on that. I really like the modules at Leicester not to mention it’s in a city and it’s very diverse. Plenty of stuff to do. Just the ranking is lower than reading and it’s a lot further from home. Also Leicester as an area gets absolutely obliterated as it’s seen as a dump. Iam wanting to go into consulting or business/marketing within the automotive industry. I’m a huge f1 fan so doing something with a company like that would be a dream hence why employment outcomes are also very important.
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 minutes ago
(Original post by R4V)
Hi there thanks for your reply.

In terms of choosing unis I definitely want to be in a city. Reading uni is only 30 mins from london however that is still 30 mins and it’s also quite expensive to travel whenever wanting to go central. Studying in london at a uni like kings would be great however I don’t have the grades for that so I’ve accepted it’s out of the question. Despite me living super far down south I’m not worried about how far away Iam from home mainly because I tend to have family members dotted all over who could potentially help me out incase of emergency’s. With studying in a city comes diversity which is important to me being a ethnic minority. Course modules are important to me aswell but so is rankings. For the time being Iam planning on trying to achieve the best grades possible to get into leeds for next year. This year I will just have to settle for either reading or Leicester as these are the next best unis I can get into. Liverpool is an option too but I can’t make the open day so I’m not too sure on that. I really like the modules at Leicester not to mention it’s in a city and it’s very diverse. Plenty of stuff to do. Just the ranking is lower than reading and it’s a lot further from home. Also Leicester as an area gets absolutely obliterated as it’s seen as a dump. Iam wanting to go into consulting or business/marketing within the automotive industry. I’m a huge f1 fan so doing something with a company like that would be a dream hence why employment outcomes are also very important.
Hi R4V!

To introduce myself – I’m Ash. I’m a 1st Year at Henley Business School at Reading University. My course is BSc Business and Management (Accounting) with a Year in Industry.

Looking at your post I just wanted to reassure your that traveling to central Reading is very affordable and quick for Uni students, you can walk into town in roughly 20 mins or take the bus in 10 mins. As for the trains into London there a various different ticket prices available for students that make it affordable to travel into London. Travelling off-peak with a railcard makes a big difference!

The concern you have is related to diversity – being an ethnic minority myself, I can assure you that Reading University is extremely diverse and international, There are various ethnic/cultural/religious societies you can join that gives yourself a sense of community and belonging.

Regarding the course – as I said before my course is Business and Management with a focus on accounting. Henley Business School gives undergraduates the opportunity to study modules on different streams of focus so your able to switch your course regardless of what you apply with. The available streams are: Marketing, Accounting, Data-Analytics, International Business and Entrepreneurship. The Marketing stream in particular is an accredited course, which will help with graduate job prospects. All the above courses are available with either a Year in Industry or Year Abroad, so you can really follow your interests.

You mentioned that that you are an F1 fan! We just recently had an employer panel where recruiters from Enterprise/EY/Austin Frasier/Intel came in to give us a talk into how they go about hiring students after graduation and during industrial placements. The careers service in Henley Business School is incredible where they provide CV advice and mock interview and even a course module on how to improve you CV and Developing Professional Excellence. We also have several alumni in lots of different industries and where able to connect and talk to them about shadowing/internships.

I highly recommend you attend our upcoming Open Days so you can get a feel for our campus and you can also talk to many current students who can answer any questions/concerns you may have. If you can’t attend any Open Days, there are regular campus tours and virtual tours you can take that are available on our website.

If you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to ask! 😊😊

Ash
1st Year BSc Business and Management (Accounting) with a Year in Industry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (134)
43.23%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
17.42%
No (122)
39.35%

Watched Threads