Durham or Lancaster for MBA

Watch this thread
cuteenatha
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
I'm coming to the UK for my MBA this September and I'm trying to choose between these two schools. The most important thing to me is finding a really good job after my course (hopefully, the careers team is very good and can help).
Which of these schools has a higher quality business school?
Which of the business schools have a higher reputation (inside and outside the uk)?
Also, can someone tell me which city is better overall?
Last edited by cuteenatha; 1 day ago
rebecca-lol
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 day ago
I would say Durham - very prestigious
cuteenatha
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by rebecca-lol)
I would say Durham - very prestigious
Thank you!
Durham Students
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 hours ago
(Original post by cuteenatha)
I'm coming to the UK for my MBA this September and I'm trying to choose between these two schools. The most important thing to me is finding a really good job after my course (hopefully, the careers team is very good and can help).
Which of the business schools have a higher reputation (inside and outside the uk)?
Hi there

I think Durham's career service is indeed very helpful, you should definitely make use of that if you come here! Alumni have access to the careers service up until 5 years after they graduate. Durham has a really good business school, with its own study spaces and library specifically for postgrads. You can obviously look at the course structure on the website and know that you can personalise your pathway into entrepreneurship, consultancy and technology. They also set up the Hazan Venture Lab where the careers department allows students to share business ideas and find ways to implement them.

Ratings differ from source to source but being a Russel Group university, I think more people know Durham. As for the city, Durham is quite small. There's no metro and students usually just walk everywhere. There's also an option of buses and you can get a student ticket for £1 for the whole day. Night life is vibrant and people are always out and about. You can also engage with college life to get the actual Durham experience. Colleges are where you can live and attend various events like formals. All colleges have a bar, gym, library, social spaces etc. where you can hang out and make friends!

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Last edited by Durham Students; 4 hours ago
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 minutes ago
Hi there,

I can't compare the two unis for you as I have only ever been to Lancaster but I can give you some info about the course and tell you about my experience as a student at Lancaster!

Lancaster's MBA program is part of the Management department, called LUMS, which has an excellent reputation. The MBA is ranked no 1 in the world for corporate strategy teaching and 2nd in the world value for money in Financial Times MBA global rankings 2022 means it is ranked 8th in the UK, 21st in Europe, and 76th in the world. It was also ranked highly globally by the Economist. It's in the top 20 in three major league tables and the university is putting a lot of funding into the department currently. The university itself has been in the top 15 for the last few years too.
I would take a look at the lecturers who teach in the department to give you an idea of what kind of expertise there is as this gives you an idea of the quality of teaching.
I think what make LUMS such a great business department is the fact that there are so many different nationalities in one classroom which is so important when working in the future in international business and you can learn from your peers, you get lots of 1 to 1 contact from your lecturers, there are lots of links with outside companies which is most important when doing the Corporate Challenge where you work on a consultancy project for a big firm.
LUMS also has its own dedicated careers department. This is in addition to the one run by the university. Careers development is integrated in your degree and there are loads of networking events run throughout the year. You can check out more about it here.

In terms of the city, I am now in my fourth year and can say that I really like it here! One of the things that makes Lancaster so great is the campus: it's lovely and green and everyone lives there in first year so it's really easy to meet up with your friends and there's 175+ societies to join so there's always something to do. The people are really friendly and the city of Lancaster is about 1/3 student population so there's always something going on. The city's not big, you can probably walk across it in 15 minutes but that means all your friends live close by. There's a huge park called Williamson Park that hosts the festival Highest Point once a year, several theatres and loads of restaurants and cafes which means lots of student jobs, both on and off campus. The train station is right in the centre of town and it's a 1hr train to Manchester, 1h30 to Liverpool, 2h to Edinburgh and 2h30ish to London depending on which train you get. The Lake District is also so close which is really lovely to go to for the weekend or a day out. 

The university itself has a collegiate system, which is really great for student support, the Student's Union runs loads of different events every year from Freshers Week, to Roses (sports competition against York uni), Bonfire Night, the student nightclub and so much more. 

I hope that is helpful, let me know if you have any other questions!
- Daisy (final year undergrad student ambassador)
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 minutes ago
(Original post by cuteenatha)
Durham.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (115)
42.91%
Not yet, but I will soon (47)
17.54%
No (106)
39.55%

Watched Threads