The Student Room Group

Applying to medicine in 2022

Hi, all I will be deadly honest this is post is going to be a rant about my experience applying to medicine over the last 2 years.

2021 - 3 rejections one interview offers then formal offer from lancaster, I was over the moon getting into Lancaster and couldn't wait for it all however CAGs came around which ended up screwing me meaning I had lost my only chance that year into medicine.

2022 - Decided to resit my A levels 4 rejections and no interview offer all citing academics not being good enough for the course. So went through UCAS extra and got onto b991 at Bradford. Right now, I have practically lost all motivation I know it's very early on to just feel like this but I just feel hopeless. With the Bradford transfer course, I've heard only 3 people got in last year, and given the nature of the course id probably have to go along for the full four years and by then get into a med uni so by the end of it all its 81k just in tuition fees and no maintenance loan. By that point, we are not even considering the mental toll that would take, socially you are so far behind everyone else of your peers financially you're down the hole nearly 100k and will have exhausted much of your financial support student loans have wacked up interest rates to 12 percent now i know that you don't really end up paying it all back but its the accept of them still taking a large cut of it all.

The only reason I wanted this career was to help those who were in a state of need, to use my skills to actually make a positive impact on some ones life yet no matter what i try to do a door gets slammed in my face. It breaks me when I speak to people and find out that their main reason for medicine was either their parents forced them into it or they just want to switch straight away to private only using the money to justify it all.

I know this post will definitely annoy people , but id like to clarify that I have nothing against anyone with an offer I am sure that a lot of hard work and motivation went behind securing that place , but I just feel that it is such a shame that so many people are able to slip the net and get into medicine with the wrong intentions and motications.
Original post by bakera52
Hi, all I will be deadly honest this is post is going to be a rant about my experience applying to medicine over the last 2 years.

2021 - 3 rejections one interview offers then formal offer from lancaster, I was over the moon getting into Lancaster and couldn't wait for it all however CAGs came around which ended up screwing me meaning I had lost my only chance that year into medicine.

2022 - Decided to resit my A levels 4 rejections and no interview offer all citing academics not being good enough for the course. So went through UCAS extra and got onto b991 at Bradford. Right now, I have practically lost all motivation I know it's very early on to just feel like this but I just feel hopeless. With the Bradford transfer course, I've heard only 3 people got in last year, and given the nature of the course id probably have to go along for the full four years and by then get into a med uni so by the end of it all its 81k just in tuition fees and no maintenance loan. By that point, we are not even considering the mental toll that would take, socially you are so far behind everyone else of your peers financially you're down the hole nearly 100k and will have exhausted much of your financial support student loans have wacked up interest rates to 12 percent now i know that you don't really end up paying it all back but its the accept of them still taking a large cut of it all.

The only reason I wanted this career was to help those who were in a state of need, to use my skills to actually make a positive impact on some ones life yet no matter what i try to do a door gets slammed in my face. It breaks me when I speak to people and find out that their main reason for medicine was either their parents forced them into it or they just want to switch straight away to private only using the money to justify it all.

I know this post will definitely annoy people , but id like to clarify that I have nothing against anyone with an offer I am sure that a lot of hard work and motivation went behind securing that place , but I just feel that it is such a shame that so many people are able to slip the net and get into medicine with the wrong intentions and motications.

That sounds like an awful experience, but if you still want to do medicine it's not unheard of to apply a third time! It's really important to make a strategic application but this year has been particularly tough so you might have got interviews in previous years, maybe you could resit any weak A levels to improve your chances? If you're sick of medicine (which would be understandable), maybe an allied health profession could be a good thing to consider, e.g. nursing, physiotherapy, diagnostic radiography? It's obviously not the same as medicine but it still utilises your skills to help people. There's a thread for stories of reapplicants here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=7209108 , which might be comforting? I'm so sorry you're in this situation, but I wish you the best in the future, whatever that looks like for you x
Original post by bakera52

I understand that you’re disappointed. I will say this: medicine is full of people who got into it for the money, for the prestige, for the security, because of parental pressure and social conditioning. It doesn’t stop them being good at their job. The idea that there are ideologically pure medics is a myth and not a helpful one. I grew up with someone who was emotionally and physically abusive who became a doctor, purely for the money I might add. She’s never had any complaints about her ability to do her job. I don’t like it but as long as someone can be professional it doesn’t really matter.

Trying to hold yourself above people who got in with the “wrong motives etc” is going to be a distraction for you. Be honest, if you only wanted to do medicine because you wanted to help people you wouldn’t have bothered. There are far faster and easier routes to doing that. Being a doctor is more than just “helping people” and being utterly selfless is not necessarily a good quality in a doctor. In fact, it’s the opposite. Maybe you need to reflect on your application, see if you’re coming across as overly idealistic in your interview or personal statement.

But if you find yourself thinking of yourself as an inherently more worthy candidate than others, think again. People who get an offer demonstrate the skills and qualities needed to be a doctor more effectively than those who don’t. It’s not a worthiness contest or a virtue pageant, it’s a competition of effectiveness. And that counts for something. Just to illustrate, I work alongside some people who don’t give a damn about the people they’re assessing, they just want the money. They’re very effective at powering through the lists, delivering value for money and earning a bit more than I do because of it. For better or worse, that’s valuable in healthcare. I struggle with that side of things. I know I might take a bit more time to make them feel valued and safe within the assessment than they do but the ultimate outcome is the same: we both complete an assessment and a report and that’s what we’re measured on at the end of the day. And probably come to the same conclusions. The NHS or the company you work for needs both kinds of people to be effective. Those people you hold yourself above haven’t slipped the net. They’re what the medical schools are looking for.

My advice would be one of the two of these: get some more experience, reflect and try again OR if you really want to help people, try something else like nursing or the AHP training routes. If all you want to do is help people in need, those routes are probably the best for you. But your focus on the financial viability of doing medicine tells me that you’re at least a little bit attracted to the prestige, power and remuneration of medicine. Which will mean that you would be motivated enough to try again with medicine and not waste your money on the clinical sciences course at Bradford.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending