The Student Room Group

Blisters from Crutches

So basically I've been using crutches the past 2.5 years. In the past year I've suddenly starting developing blisters at random times from using them and I've tried gloves, padding, blister plasters, and cloth on my grips but I've not found a way to combat them. I was wondering if anyone had a) any suggestions on helping blisters when still having to use crutches or b) anything that helped them to avoid getting blisters/cause blisters less frequently.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated 🥲
(edited 1 year ago)
Possibly you can try some foam pipe insulation or something like that, it may work for some people.
If your on crutches long term, ask your physio/OT about alternative crutches that will distribute weight differently (ask your GP for a referral if you don’t have a physio/OT). You can get palm crutches (not the actual name but I can’t remember) that put weight through more of the palm of your hand and base of thumb. You have the crutches that go under your armpits so weight goes into your shoulders more, there is also forearm crutches where your forearm takes the weight and your hands just hold the crutches in place. However, which crutch you can use will depend on what you require them for and the weight bearing required through them. For example, the palm crutches you can’t use if your non-weight bearing. Speak to your medical professional and they will be able to advise you on the most appropriate crutch. It could be something as simple as your current crutches are the wrong length or the rubber underneath has worn out which is effecting balance.
Reply 3
There is nothing wrong with using a wheelchair, there is no point limiting your mobility by damaging your body by overdoing it with crutches. It's likely at university you have much longer distance between activities then at school.

Quick Reply

Latest