Rejecting a job offer after signing the contract

Watch this thread
shcj0324
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
I have recently received an audit trainee offer from company X, one of the top 10 accounting firms in the UK, but some of my other job applications are still in progress.
Just want to know if I tell company X I won't be joining after signing the employment contract, will I be in big trouble, or will I get blacklisted?
DataVenia
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 days ago
What does the contract itself say? Does it provide for a reduced notice period within the first few weeks, for example? Or is the contact "subject to satisfactory completion of induction", or similar, which allows for a route out of the contract?

If you simply opt to walk away, you're likely to be in breach of contract. That could expose you to a civil liability, if they choose to pursue it.

They won't "blacklist" you within the industry. Such lists are illegal. It's reasonable to assume that this particular firm would be unlikely to consider you for a role in future, however.

A better option, if you haven't yet signed the contract, is to try and delay doing so until you know the outcome of the other roles.
shcj0324
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by DataVenia)
What does the contract itself say? Does it provide for a reduced notice period within the first few weeks, for example? Or is the contact "subject to satisfactory completion of induction", or similar, which allows for a route out of the contract?

If you simply opt to walk away, you're likely to be in breach of contract. That could expose you to a civil liability, if they choose to pursue it.

They won't "blacklist" you within the industry. Such lists are illegal. It's reasonable to assume that this particular firm would be unlikely to consider you for a role in future, however.

A better option, if you haven't yet signed the contract, is to try and delay doing so until you know the outcome of the other roles.
Thanks for replying. Yea there is a notice period. The typical notice period will be one month but will be shorter for the first few weeks.
If I decide to reject the offer at last, I will definitely work out the notice period and tell them in advance, more than one month before the starting date.
They don't let me delay signing the contract for too long as they have to conduct background check as well.
So if I do work out the notice period, they can't sue me right?
Last edited by shcj0324; 2 days ago
DataVenia
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by shcj0324)
So if I do work out the notice period, they can't sue me right?
Correct.

To be honest, even if you breached the contract (by not giving sufficient notice) they might not bother perusing the issue anyway.

Hopefully the notice period will be pretty short (just one week?) initially.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (126)
42.14%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
18.06%
No (119)
39.8%

Watched Threads