Warwick monthly costs

Watch this thread
vanshika20
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
Hi,
I am an Economics offer holder for the undergrad program. I am thinking of staying at Whitefield since that's the cheapest and I wanted to know what would be the average monthly living costs. Whitefield provides laundry but doesn't include a meal plan so how much would groceries and travel and going out add up to on average?
Interea
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 day ago
Completely depends on your lifestyle, I average about £30 a week on food/going out/other expenses, but I don't go out a lot and don't leave campus much. I imagine if you're planning to go out in Leamington/Coventry a lot then the cost of buses and drinks would add up quickly. Also, you aren't guaranteed your top choice (or even one of your top 6 choices), so make sure you'd be able to budget if you did end up in a more expensive option.

Just to note, there are laundry facilities, but you still have to pay to use them. I don't know the Whitefields price since they (and Rootes) use a different company to the rest of campus, but it's probably just a few pounds per wash or dry.
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by vanshika20)
how much would groceries and travel and going out add up to on average?
Questions like this are always impossible to answer -- it depends on your lifestyle and needs.

Even something like tea bags you have the range of "supermarket basics range", "supermarket branded" (e.g. Sainsbury's red label), "mass-market branded" (e,g,PG Tips, Typhoo), "speciality" (e.g. Twinings Lapsang Souchong), "esoteric" (e.g. something you have to get Harrods to order in specially).

Travel - how often will you need to travel, to where, and by what means?

Going out - again, how often? And what's your idea of "going out"? There's a big difference between "meeting friends once a week for a couple of drinks and then retiring early" and "going out three times a week, visiting three clubs, drinking eight pints and having a kebab afterwards and then going home by taxi".
vanshika20
Rep:
(Original post by Interea)
Completely depends on your lifestyle, I average about £30 a week on food/going out/other expenses, but I don't go out a lot and don't leave campus much. I imagine if you're planning to go out in Leamington/Coventry a lot then the cost of buses and drinks would add up quickly. Also, you aren't guaranteed your top choice (or even one of your top 6 choices), so make sure you'd be able to budget if you did end up in a more expensive option.

Just to note, there are laundry facilities, but you still have to pay to use them. I don't know the Whitefields price since they (and Rootes) use a different company to the rest of campus, but it's probably just a few pounds per wash or dry.
oh wow okay, I dint know that about the laundry and preference thing. So if i dont go out a lot for food and just buy groceries and cook and go out a few times a month then I should consider the costs as 300 pounds a month? Also, do you know how much could I earn monthly by a part time job?
Last edited by vanshika20; 1 day ago
vanshika20
Rep:
(Original post by martin7)
Questions like this are always impossible to answer -- it depends on your lifestyle and needs.

Even something like tea bags you have the range of "supermarket basics range", "supermarket branded" (e.g. Sainsbury's red label), "mass-market branded" (e,g,PG Tips, Typhoo), "speciality" (e.g. Twinings Lapsang Souchong), "esoteric" (e.g. something you have to get Harrods to order in specially).

Travel - how often will you need to travel, to where, and by what means?

Going out - again, how often? And what's your idea of "going out"? There's a big difference between "meeting friends once a week for a couple of drinks and then retiring early" and "going out three times a week, visiting three clubs, drinking eight pints and having a kebab afterwards and then going home by taxi".
ahh right yae my bad:/

all basics for groceries and for going out prolly very less in the start but then depending on my part-time job salary, my going out could vary ig. Then how much do you think the cost would add up to? Also, do you know how much could I earn monthly by a part-time job?
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
_gcx might be able to give some insight into this?
vanshika20
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
_gcx might be able to give some insight into this?
do I need to message him?
artful_lounger
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by vanshika20)
do I need to message him?
No, I tagged them so they can see this thread and reply in their own time...
vanshika20
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
No, I tagged them so they can see this thread and reply in their own time...
oh okay thankyouuu so muchh
_gcx
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
£300 pm is totally doable, I spent about that without paying attention to my spending. You could easily half that if you were economical.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (121)
42.01%
Not yet, but I will soon (53)
18.4%
No (114)
39.58%

Watched Threads