The Student Room Group

I feel like my revision is useless.

Hey, I am a year 11 GCSE student due to sit exams starting Monday. I've mainly been revising Science since and barley anything else since Computing, French, English are all subjects I can easily prep for the nights before. I've completed my Biology revision based on the AQA 2022 advanced information for combined science and I do remember 90% of what I learnt however I'm just feeling like it's useless and when I sit my exam on Tuesday, It'll be either worded really differently or I'll just forget everything. I'm aiming to go from my last mock grade 5-4 ( Which I did not revise for) to 7-7 and I know I can do. To summarise I am worried that my preparation will be useless and with Maths paper 1 looming over me next Friday (Maths is my weakest subject, got a 5 last mock but I need a 6) Which I have not begun revision for, I'm feeling really hopeless. Does anyone have any advice or revision advice? Mainly for going from a 5 to a 6 or even 7 in maths? (If it helps both my paper 2 and 3 are after a one week Half-term (Paper 2 is in 3 weeks and paper 3 is in 4 weeks). I am aware I probably repeated myself a lot so sorry about that, I hope you can help me and good-luck to anyone sitting exams <3

(My mock grades vs the grades I want if needed)
Eng lang: 5/7
Eng lit: 4/6
Maths: 5/6(7 ideally)
Science: 5-4/7-7
Geo: 5/5
French:5/5
Computing: 5/6
Again thank you so much for sitting through my bi*ching
the best advice I can give u is to just start. the more you procrastinate on how to revise, the less you'll get done - as long as you start now, even if you start using a method that doesn't work for you, you will be able to recognise it and change your tactics. spend 15 mins planning ur revison MAX.

for maths the order I did my revision in was:
- going through checklist and learning topics I knew I didn't know (don't bother doing topics you know you're confident in)
- leaping into practice papers. so many practice papers. highlight the questions you get wrong and photocopy them so you have them as flashcards. After say 3 days have passed, redo them and see if you remember how to do it (make sure you know WHY you got something wrong, and if the topic is tricky go back to doing topic test). Don't redo the questions too soon after you have done that paper - test your understanding, not your memory.
- Corbett maths 5 a day

my target for maths is a 9 and im still struggling!! lots of people are in ur position too. just make sure you understand all of the topics, and that you're likely only to drop marks for silly mistakes rather than gaps in your learning. I'd recommend doing half a paper a day from today onwards and rlly refining those topics you know you find tricky.

hope this helps
Original post by ereniusiu
the best advice I can give u is to just start. the more you procrastinate on how to revise, the less you'll get done - as long as you start now, even if you start using a method that doesn't work for you, you will be able to recognise it and change your tactics. spend 15 mins planning ur revison MAX.

for maths the order I did my revision in was:
- going through checklist and learning topics I knew I didn't know (don't bother doing topics you know you're confident in)
- leaping into practice papers. so many practice papers. highlight the questions you get wrong and photocopy them so you have them as flashcards. After say 3 days have passed, redo them and see if you remember how to do it (make sure you know WHY you got something wrong, and if the topic is tricky go back to doing topic test). Don't redo the questions too soon after you have done that paper - test your understanding, not your memory.
- Corbett maths 5 a day

my target for maths is a 9 and im still struggling!! lots of people are in ur position too. just make sure you understand all of the topics, and that you're likely only to drop marks for silly mistakes rather than gaps in your learning. I'd recommend doing half a paper a day from today onwards and rlly refining those topics you know you find tricky.

hope this helps

Thank you so much! I wish you best of luck with your exams

Quick Reply

Latest