Learning to speak some Italian for hobby - any advice?

Watch this thread
Pythian
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am not a particularly language(y) person, I don't think.

I have been to a few operas these past 2 years and I really want to start learning some Italian. I think its beautiful.

Any advice here? I find grammar books and huge vocab lists a bit daunting and not sure where to start.

I am planning to visit Rome in a months anyway - but in the meantime does anyone have advice.

Qrki
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I'd say duolingo is a good place to start if grammar books and vocab is daunting to you.

Duolingo tests simple stuff at first, helping with memorisation in an interactive way which isn't overwhelming!
Pythian
Badges: 21
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Qrki)
I'd say duolingo is a good place to start if grammar books and vocab is daunting to you.

Duolingo tests simple stuff at first, helping with memorisation in an interactive way which isn't overwhelming!
Thanks. Will have a go.
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi there!

Totally agree with the using website and apps like Duolingo, they set out the information really well and the fact it's interactive really helps. Something that has really helped me with learning languages is using resources made for children! These materials have to clear and concise and whilst you may feel a little silly at first, it's a great way of learning vocabulary and understanding how sentences are made. I'd also suggest finding some Italian tv programs: start watching them with english subtitles first and really listen to the language when they speak, switch to Italian if they say something you're particularly interested in and see how it was said. Once you've been learning awhile, you can start leaving italian subtitles on for longer and longer.

These are just things I've found useful in my time learning languages and thought I'd pass it on.
Best of luck, buona fortuna!
-Daisy (student ambassador)
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
a tutor
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
28.89%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (18)
40%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.44%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.44%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (3)
6.67%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
13.33%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.22%

Watched Threads