The Student Room Group

I'm worried about getting a 2:1

I honestly don't think I've done well enough in my exams to get a first and I'm know I'm going to be disappointed with myself if I get a 2:1, I know that I will regret not getting a first.
A 2:1 is not the end of the world. You'll still receive a very similar amount of job opportunities, and it's still very respectable. It won't affect you now or in later life.
Original post by Anonymous
I honestly don't think I've done well enough in my exams to get a first and I'm know I'm going to be disappointed with myself if I get a 2:1, I know that I will regret not getting a first.

Your grade classification is only used for initial screening. What matters more is your passions, transferrable and soft skills and your ability to do the job. I haven't seen a single graduate job that requires you to get a first. Lots of graduate schemes accept 2.1s, 2.2s or even below. I have talked to some people and they all agree that you don't even need a degree at all to be successful.

I understand that you may be upset about not being the best, but getting a first is really not essential. It is only for people who want to boost their ego.
(edited 1 year ago)

What's done is done. If you can honestly tell yourself that you put in your best effort in these final exams then what more can you ask for?
I know it's not the end of the world but I set myself the goal of getting a first. I was on track for a first throughout 1st, 2nd and 3rd year but messed up at the final hurdle (exams). It's not so much about being the best but rather knowing that I could've achieved more. Throughout GCSEs and Alevels I would always get grades lower than I was predicted and was fortunate enough to get into a RG uni. It just makes me feel that all my hard work went to waste...
I know it's not the end of the world but I set myself the goal of getting a first. I was on track for a first throughout 1st, 2nd and 3rd year but messed up at the final hurdle (exams). It's not so much about being the best but rather knowing that I could've achieved more. Throughout GCSEs and Alevels I would always get grades lower than I was predicted and was fortunate enough to get into a RG uni. It just makes me feel that all my hard work went to waste...

But it didn't because you still got a 2.1. Getting a first can be difficult and hard work doesn't always translate to good results at university. A 2.1, will still open so many doors. You can do a postgraduate or try to get onto a graduate scheme. Exams can be very difficult and unpredictable. At least you'll graduate and get a good grade from university. Lots of people get much lower grades, drop out and don't even get a degree at all. Also, when you get your first job, no one is going to care whether you'll get a first or a 2.1 or 3rd or whatever. What matters more is what you studied and what skills you got out of your degree rather than just a degree classification itself.
Original post by Eigenvectorxyz
But it didn't because you still got a 2.1. Getting a first can be difficult and hard work doesn't always translate to good results at university. A 2.1, will still open so many doors. You can do a postgraduate or try to get onto a graduate scheme. Exams can be very difficult and unpredictable. At least you'll graduate and get a good grade from university. Lots of people get much lower grades, drop out and don't even get a degree at all. Also, when you get your first job, no one is going to care whether you'll get a first or a 2.1 or 3rd or whatever. What matters more is what you studied and what skills you got out of your degree rather than just a degree classification itself.

I guess you're right and I keep telling myself that but it's so difficult to get over it. maybe I put too much pressure on myself or I just have unrealistic standards..
Original post by Blue_Cow
What's done is done. If you can honestly tell yourself that you put in your best effort in these final exams then what more can you ask for?

I didn't put in enough effort for the exams I regret it so much. I struggled with my mental health while I was doing my dissertation from october-january then once I submitted it I just gave up with doing uni work. I didn't have the motivation to do lectures and handed in assignments a few minutes before the deadline.

Quick Reply

Latest