jonny1985_2
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
Hi,

I understand that HO and OH are cations and anions of the same molecule but I keep seeing them used interchangeably.

For example, in an old CGP Biology coursebook, the group on the left-hand side of a glucose molecule was shown as OH, but in the latest revision guide, it is HO.

I see the same thing in the revision guide, on the same page, talking about the same molecule.

Why is this? How do I know which one to use? Does it matter when it comes to being awarded marks in a question?

Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-14 155336.png
Views: 6
Size:  85.7 KB
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 day ago
(Original post by jonny1985_2)
Hi,

I understand that HO and OH are cations and anions of the same molecule but I keep seeing them used interchangeably.

For example, in an old CGP Biology coursebook, the group on the left-hand side of a glucose molecule was shown as OH, but in the latest revision guide, it is HO.

I see the same thing in the revision guide, on the same page, talking about the same molecule.

Why is this? How do I know which one to use? Does it matter when it comes to being awarded marks in a question?

Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-14 155336.png
Views: 6
Size:  85.7 KB
It depends on which side you draw the OH group relative to the bond. If you draw it on the right side, write -OH, if you draw it on the left side, write HO-. It’s because the covalent bond is with the oxygen atom, not the hydrogen atom.
Felynalanine
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
Also the first picture is technically wrong but frequently people aren't rigorous about it. It's the same idea as when you write a radical, e.g., the hydroxyl radical is •OH because the unpaired electron is on the O so if you write OH• it's technically wrong but people would still understand what it meant
andrealocquiao
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 day ago
They are the same thing it's just that some textbooks take into account the actual structure of the molecule when portraying it. Personally, I think that you should get into a habit of putting the oxygen next to the carbon chain rather than the hydrogen for exams. If you're doing a-level chemistry this is really important to remember because the hydroxy (OH) group is often involved in reaction mechanisms.

For example, you can write ethanol as OHCH2CH3 but it's better to write it as HOCH2CH3 to show the covalent bond between the oxygen and the carbon chain. The electrons are shared between the carbon and the oxygen in the covalent bond, which is why the oxygen goes next to the carbon.

That being said, the first picture could be seen as wrong so avoid it in exams but it is widely accepted.
jonny1985_2
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
Excellent, thank you so much for all the responses!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (122)
41.64%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
18.43%
No (117)
39.93%

Watched Threads