thinking of what i wanna do

Watch this thread
coolusername_03
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
im doing alevel math/bio/chem and im tryna think of which field i wanna get into:
-law(preferably corporate law, patent law?)
-medicine
-business/finance/banking
-STEM
I'm looking into getting work experience at a hospital to see if med is for me... In terms of STEM, ive realised I can't really apply for engineering courses beacuse they require physics, although some courses like biomed eng at KCL don't require physics...
Bearing in mind I'm in yr13 so i have my exams in less than a month and I don't want to take another a level during my gap yr, what courses would be suitable for me? Also, how emplyable are those fields(is job market saturated)? I'm also trilingual if it helps... Are there certain courses I should avoid? I've been advised not to get into humanities/non-STEM/finance/med unless its law...
username5706823
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by coolusername_03)
I've been advised not to get into humanities/non-STEM/finance/med unless its law...
Who advised you? the person must've been very ignorant.
coolusername_03
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Summer Bird)
Who advised you? the person must've been very ignorant.
most of my classmates and my chem teacher
Last edited by coolusername_03; 1 month ago
username5706823
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
That explains it.. Teachers think that? yikes.
https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-leve...hematics?o=210
You can do plenty of courses with those A-levels but it's up to you to research and find what's suitable for you.
Last edited by username5706823; 1 month ago
Eigenvectorxyz
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Just do what you want to do. Don't let your classmates or teachers or even parents influence your decisions. From your A-Level subjects, medicine seems to be the most suited, but it doesn't mean you should do it. If you don't like it, don't do it.
ChichesterStuRep
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
im doing alevel math/bio/chem and im tryna think of which field i wanna get into:
-medicine
-STEM
I'm looking into getting work experience at a hospital to see if med is for me... In terms of STEM, ive realised I can't really apply for engineering courses beacuse they require physics, although some courses like biomed eng at KCL don't require physics...
Bearing in mind I'm in yr13 so i have my exams in less than a month and I don't want to take another a level during my gap yr, what courses would be suitable for me? Also, how emplyable are those fields(is job market saturated)? I'm also trilingual if it helps... Are there certain courses I should avoid? I've been advised not to get into humanities/non-STEM/finance/med unless its law...
Hi coolusername_03!

The best advice I can give you regarding what to do after a-levels is to choose a course that you're definitely passionate about. Choosing a course that may seem to have better career prospects or are perceived to be more "esteemed" might seem like a good idea, but degrees are roughly 3 years of your life, it's important to do something that you really enjoy. From my own experience as a uni student, I love media and that's why I did it at Chichester. But even so, there was some modules I did that I really didn't enjoy that much. I can only imagine how that would feel doing modules you don't enjoy, for a degree you aren't enjoying either.

Those who have advised you to stay away from non-stem courses might mean well, but it's likely they'll be saying that with their own pre-conceptions of those subjects. It's really important that you do your own research into what courses and universities you might like, because it's you who will be doing that degree. Each degree will have their own opportunities so it's hard to say if some are more employable than others, it all depends on your own career ambitions and what you choose to do with that degree.

Also, at University there should be careers teams there to provide advice and guidance to try and support you in finding those job opportunities, both during your studies and for after you graduate.

I hope this is helpful for you, if you have any other questions or would like some more advice then please feel free to ask - I'll be happy to help!

Tom
University of Chichester Student Rep and Alumni.
Mara1680
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
-medicine
-STEM
Don't think about it only in terms of which job pays the best, is easiest to find, is most estimable etc. All of these field are difficult when you start applying them at degree level and higher. Some bits will bore you to death, I can promise you that. So you've got to think about whether you like that area enough to get through those tough moments, apply yourself to learn stuff you don't understand or don't find particularly interesting.
Do you have a particular goal in mind?
Do you prefer working in a team or by yourself?
Do you have good communication skills?

Additionally, university isn't the only path available. It isn't even the best one. For example, when it comes to engineering, apprenticeships are much more preferable and you would be able to apply with your A-levels.

Getting some work experience is a really great idea to see how you're doing in that particular environment.

And lastly, you can mix those fields to a certain degree. Especially med and engineering.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (17)
27.42%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (31)
50%
First aid skills (3)
4.84%
Personal safety skills (1)
1.61%
Sign language (8)
12.9%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (1)
1.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.61%

Watched Threads