Opinions on the University of Central Lancashire Preston Campus?

Watch this thread
ouss-dz
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm an undergraduate international student I'm currently on my final year doing Biomedicine in the university of Huddersfield. I'm planning on doing my Masters in Cancer Biology & Therapy at University of Central Lancashire Preston Campus. However, some people say it's a bad if not the worst place to live in, some people say the university and the science department is not the best and teachers aren't helpful. but the same time other people say the opposite but non of the people who gave them their opinion lived in Preston or studied in Uclan Preston lol. So people who live there or study/studied there could you please give me your honest opinion about the city and especially the university (Science department). Thank you so much.
UCLan Student
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ouss-dz)
Hi, I'm an undergraduate international student I'm currently on my final year doing Biomedicine in the university of Huddersfield. I'm planning on doing my Masters in Cancer Biology & Therapy at University of Central Lancashire Preston Campus. However, some people say it's a bad if not the worst place to live in, some people say the university and the science department is not the best and teachers aren't helpful. but the same time other people say the opposite but non of the people who gave them their opinion lived in Preston or studied in Uclan Preston lol. So people who live there or study/studied there could you please give me your honest opinion about the city and especially the university (Science department). Thank you so much.
Morning ouss-dz,

I'm Chelsea, a third year Biology student at UCLan (due to graduate this Summer). I also live in Preston, have done for 5 years now. I don't agree that Preston is the worst place to live in. Yes there are some rough areas, but any city has rough areas. Preston has a lot going for it, the uni campus is splat bang in the centre and everything you need is within walking distance - the train station, major supermarkets, etc. We have a great public transport system, so if you decided you didn't want to live right in the centre (I live just slightly out of the city centre, about 20 minutes on the bus, in a really quiet area), you won't have to worry about travelling in. There is plenty of parking for students etc if you drive. We have shopping centres with cinemas, lovely walks along the river and Guild Wheel, loads of leisure activities... its your typical city centre. Obviously, if night life is your thing, you know what to expect in that regard - it's the same here as with any city. So not worse than others.

I might be biased, but I think the science department is great. They have so many facilities for your course, and loads of contacts for student opportunities. The staff are definitely helpful, and are more than willing to go out of their way to support you if you make the effort with your course - though if you are struggling, they will also support you. Ultimately they want you to do the best you can do but, as with any degree/uni/etc., it is your effort and input that will make a difference. If you're invested, can show you want to achieve, then they will support you, especially as a Masters student. I have friends doing Masters at UCLan and they always talk about how much their lecturers do to support them through their research.

Perhaps come and see the centre and outer parts of the city for yourself? As I say, there are rough areas, but you can bypass those by choosing quieter areas to live (such as Fulwood, Penwortham, etc.) while still being close to the university.

Hope this helps,

Chelsea
ouss-dz
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by UCLan Student)
Morning ouss-dz,

I'm Chelsea, a third year Biology student at UCLan (due to graduate this Summer). I also live in Preston, have done for 5 years now. I don't agree that Preston is the worst place to live in. Yes there are some rough areas, but any city has rough areas. Preston has a lot going for it, the uni campus is splat bang in the centre and everything you need is within walking distance - the train station, major supermarkets, etc. We have a great public transport system, so if you decided you didn't want to live right in the centre (I live just slightly out of the city centre, about 20 minutes on the bus, in a really quiet area), you won't have to worry about travelling in. There is plenty of parking for students etc if you drive. We have shopping centres with cinemas, lovely walks along the river and Guild Wheel, loads of leisure activities... its your typical city centre. Obviously, if night life is your thing, you know what to expect in that regard - it's the same here as with any city. So not worse than others.

I might be biased, but I think the science department is great. They have so many facilities for your course, and loads of contacts for student opportunities. The staff are definitely helpful, and are more than willing to go out of their way to support you if you make the effort with your course - though if you are struggling, they will also support you. Ultimately they want you to do the best you can do but, as with any degree/uni/etc., it is your effort and input that will make a difference. If you're invested, can show you want to achieve, then they will support you, especially as a Masters student. I have friends doing Masters at UCLan and they always talk about how much their lecturers do to support them through their research.

Perhaps come and see the centre and outer parts of the city for yourself? As I say, there are rough areas, but you can bypass those by choosing quieter areas to live (such as Fulwood, Penwortham, etc.) while still being close to the university.

Hope this helps,

Chelsea
Thank you so much I really appreciate it. Could you please help me apply because I send them few emails they didn’t reply.
UCLan Student
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ouss-dz)
Thank you so much I really appreciate it. Could you please help me apply because I send them few emails they didn’t reply.
Good morning

Who have you sent the emails to? Admissions? Did you go through UCAS? If so, you should receive something. Let me know how you went about applying and I will try to chase this up for you.

Thanks and best wishes,

Chelsea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
27.9%
As I expected (73)
31.33%
Harder (87)
37.34%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.43%

Watched Threads