The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

National Student Survey

I was looking at the NSS results and there are some surprising results.
For example University of Birmingham scores very low for Psychology, only 56% satisfaction.
Does anyone know how accurate the NSS is? How much weight should I put on it?
Its total bunkum.

Its the disgruntled 3rd year students who fnished their degrees last year having a moan about the fact that a) someone took the microwave out of the common room and b) their fave tutor went on maternity leave mid year. Etc etc,

Just ignore it,
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
I would say it's fairly accurate considering the sample size of students that fill out questionnaires etc.
Original post by Nigelcooper
I was looking at the NSS results and there are some surprising results.
For example University of Birmingham scores very low for Psychology, only 56% satisfaction.
Does anyone know how accurate the NSS is? How much weight should I put on it?

It’s run independently but the results for a course can vary hugely between years.
It’s worth looking at the full breakdown of results on discover uni to see exactly which aspects of the course students were unhappy with. And then if those are areas that you think are important asking what changes have been put in place to address the problems (ie sometimes a score will be low because of timetable problems/chaos that affected one cohort of students but has been sorted out). The most recent results are also from a cohort heavily disrupted by covid too.
Thanks for all the comments.
I understand that the cohort has been severely affected by Covid, but obviously so has every other Uni and the satisfaction scores for other RG unis were much higher.
I’m confused because I really liked the open day, but I don’t want to join a course with almost 50%’unsatisfied.
Do you think it’s worth me talking directly to the Uni? Would they be able to clarify?
Original post by Nigelcooper
Thanks for all the comments.
I understand that the cohort has been severely affected by Covid, but obviously so has every other Uni and the satisfaction scores for other RG unis were much higher.
I’m confused because I really liked the open day, but I don’t want to join a course with almost 50%’unsatisfied.
Do you think it’s worth me talking directly to the Uni? Would they be able to clarify?

Look at the full breakdown on discover uni first
https://discoveruni.gov.uk/course-details/10006840/K0013/Full-time/
Reply 6
Thanks for making us aware of this. We loved the open day so this does put a different perspective on things. I’ve looked at the breakdown and it feels like more of a real issue than just being disgruntled about a microwave being removed. Did you find out any further information?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending