The Student Room Group

has anyone else realised that the maths advanced info aqa is so good ?

literally i just checked again through the advanced topics and its actually so good. i was going through a topic and found it insanely hard, especially the grade 9 questions. then i look at the advanced info and guess what ?
its not on there, i feel like the topics they chose have made it much easier then what it could have been.
Reply 1
Remember it is only the major focus which means that you can get tested on other aspects of the course as long as the listed topics makes up more than 50% of the marks
Reply 2
Original post by Zantu
Remember it is only the major focus which means that you can get tested on other aspects of the course as long as the listed topics makes up more than 50% of the marks

but i thought it said that it covered all the topics and didnt they list like 37 or so topics ?.how can they be fitting more than that. and by major does it mean big marker questions etc.
Reply 3
Screenshot 2022-05-15 202845.png
Original post by zynnjah123
but i thought it said that it covered all the topics and didnt they list like 37 or so topics ?.how can they be fitting more than that. and by major does it mean big marker questions etc.

It said "all examined components" meaning that AQA Maths department just said this covered all papers (P1, P2, and P3 for Higher and Foundation).
And they can put it into smaller questions as long as it makes up 50% of the marks. I mean at least that's what my chemistry teacher (head of science here) said with the AQA science advanced informations as they also said that those are the major focus of the '22 summer exams.Screenshot 2022-05-15 202845.png
Reply 4
Original post by Zantu
Screenshot 2022-05-15 202845.png
It said "all examined components" meaning that AQA Maths department just said this covered all papers (P1, P2, and P3 for Higher and Foundation).
And they can put it into smaller questions as long as it makes up 50% of the marks. I mean at least that's what my chemistry teacher (head of science here) said with the AQA science advanced informations as they also said that those are the major focus of the '22 summer exams.Screenshot 2022-05-15 202845.png

yea, thanks for point that out. but my teachers today said that they wont ask 50% even if they can as they would get a lot of backlash. she said that it will probably be around 70% of the exam but again thats only a prediction. now if you dont mind me asking i have prepared for the advanced info but i havnt necessarily covered the rest of the content. what would be the best method for me in your eyes to cover the content. do the past 10 past papers for maths ? thanks
Reply 5
yea, thanks for point that out. but my teachers today said that they wont ask 50% even if they can as they would get a lot of backlash. she said that it will probably be around 70% of the exam but again thats only a prediction. now if you dont mind me asking i have prepared for the advanced info but i havnt necessarily covered the rest of the content. what would be the best method for me in your eyes to cover the content. do the past 10 past papers for maths ? thanks

Here are my recommendations:
- Speed run HegartyMaths for topics you never studied or feel very unconfident with (if you school has it)
- Try to get your teacher to give you exam questions for topics you feel the least confident with (as they should be your main priority for maths right now) if they can't use past papers.

Idk what exam board, tier / combined or separates you are for science but as I saw in my Biology paper today, don't trust AQA, unless they said not assessed
Reply 6
(Original post by Zantu)Here are my recommendations:
- Speed run HegartyMaths for topics you never studied or feel very unconfident with (if you school has it)
- Try to get your teacher to give you exam questions for topics you feel the least confident with (as they should be your main priority for maths right now) if they can't use past papers.

Idk what exam board, tier / combined or separates you are for science but as I saw in my Biology paper today, don't trust AQA, unless they said not assessed

hi zantu thanks for replying. personally i do aqa bio higher and infact the questions were literally about 90% from the advanced information. it is clearly different in the combined science however i can see that they have really touched the boundaries between what they can ask and what they wont. at least 80% of the content was on the advanced information and the rest was like mitosis and surface area to volume ratio.

point is for me at least it has been accurate but if im going to try aim for a 8 or 9 i need to know all the stuff. so thanks for ur advice i'll make sure to do just that. also past papers, past papers !!!!. they repeat questions and so if you can do like the past 10 papers including specimen papers and understand how to do them all it should be good
Reply 7
(Original post by Zantu)Here are my recommendations:

hi zantu thanks for replying. personally i do aqa bio higher and infact the questions were literally about 90% from the advanced information. it is clearly different in the combined science however i can see that they have really touched the boundaries between what they can ask and what they wont. at least 80% of the content was on the advanced information and the rest was like mitosis and surface area to volume ratio.

point is for me at least it has been accurate but if im going to try aim for a 8 or 9 i need to know all the stuff. so thanks for ur advice i'll make sure to do just that. also past papers, past papers !!!!. they repeat questions and so if you can do like the past 10 papers including specimen papers and understand how to do them all it should be good

Nah it was not food test was only a one marker whilst got a 6 marker talking about burgers
Reply 8
Original post by Zantu
Nah it was not food test was only a one marker whilst got a 6 marker talking about burgers

yea but the 6 marker was still related to the advanced info, u had to talk about communicable disease
Reply 9
yea but the 6 marker was still related to the advanced info, u had to talk about communicable disease

What. The. ****. I did not realised, thanks for making me aware of me failing biology.
Original post by Zantu
What. The. ****. I did not realised, thanks for making me aware of me failing biology.

noooo dont worry u can lose 30 marks and still get a 9. remember its out of 100 and grade boundaries are usually around 70% (even lower this year) so in the exam every mark u think you have lost is around a percentage. plus u wont lose the entire 6 marks.
Reply 11
noooo dont worry u can lose 30 marks and still get a 9. remember its out of 100 and grade boundaries are usually around 70% (even lower this year) so in the exam every mark u think you have lost is around a percentage. plus u wont lose the entire 6 marks.

I got 6 last time so we will see

Quick Reply