The Student Room Group

List of mandatory studies in psychology

Hey, so I’ve been self teaching myself A level psychology over the past year and I was just wondering if anybody had a list of the studies we have to learn for the course as mandatory if you know what I mean. I only ask because when I go to do 16 markers, I’m not sure which studies I should include in the AO1 paragraph as part of the knowledge section if that makes any sense.
What exam board is this?
Original post by Squiggles1238
What exam board is this?

AQA

I only ask because say a question about institutionalisation comes up for example, I’m not sure if I include the Romanian orphans study in the AO1 section or if I include it in the AO3 section if you know what I mean
Original post by Psychidiot12
AQA

I only ask because say a question about institutionalisation comes up for example, I’m not sure if I include the Romanian orphans study in the AO1 section or if I include it in the AO3 section if you know what I mean

It depends on how you use the study, and the same goes for a lot of the studies. If you are using merely to demonstrate knowledge then it would be AO1, but if youre using it to evaluate the effects on institutionalisation, or youre evaluating the study itself, it would be AO3
Original post by Squiggles1238
It depends on how you use the study, and the same goes for a lot of the studies. If you are using merely to demonstrate knowledge then it would be AO1, but if youre using it to evaluate the effects on institutionalisation, or youre evaluating the study itself, it would be AO3

Yeah I wasn’t entirely sure. So I’m guessing the best thing is to include the method and results of the study, then in the AO3 section, include linking studies, and evaluation of the study?
Original post by Psychidiot12
Hey, so I’ve been self teaching myself A level psychology over the past year and I was just wondering if anybody had a list of the studies we have to learn for the course as mandatory if you know what I mean. I only ask because when I go to do 16 markers, I’m not sure which studies I should include in the AO1 paragraph as part of the knowledge section if that makes any sense.

yo! https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/psychology-revision/a-level-aqa has detailed notes, flashcards & questions on each topic in psychology, including the studies. Studies are usually included in AO1 for stuff like institutionalisation, but remember that you can intertwine AO1 & AO3. For Rutter's ERA study, I would outline the study & findings and then at the end, include a mini evaluation, such as the applications the study has (you can then evaluate the study more in depth in AO3)
Original post by newgoose
yo! https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/psychology-revision/a-level-aqa has detailed notes, flashcards & questions on each topic in psychology, including the studies. Studies are usually included in AO1 for stuff like institutionalisation, but remember that you can intertwine AO1 & AO3. For Rutter's ERA study, I would outline the study & findings and then at the end, include a mini evaluation, such as the applications the study has (you can then evaluate the study more in depth in AO3)

Thank you, I really appreciate this answer. It’s just I did a two process model 16 marker and I only included who developed it, the stuff about operant conditioning during and the stuff about classical condition has an overarching concept, however when I read an exemplar I saw someone include the little Albert study in the AO1 paragraph.

Quick Reply

Latest