The Student Room Group

Foundation year requirements??

Can anyone do a foundation year or do you have to be in extenuating circumstances? I’m predicted bad grades and was hoping to do a foundation year in order to go to uni. My grades are bad because of mental health btw.
They're usually quite low, so anyone could do them, I'd have assumed.
Depends on the specific FY. Some have additional widening participation requirements whilst others are open to all.
What Uni subject?
What are you expected grades?
Have you appied this yeat?
Home or Overeas applicant?
You’d need to check the criteria for the foundation years you’re considering.

If your grades have been affected by mental illness then it’s generally a better idea to resit your A levels (or take an additional/alternative FE qualification) than to take a foundation year. Addressing your mental health problems as much as possible before starting a degree is always a good idea and improved A level grades will give you far more options for your degree than a foundation year (as well as costing a lot less and not eating into your degree funding).
Original post by Katiefitzger
Can anyone do a foundation year or do you have to be in extenuating circumstances? I’m predicted bad grades and was hoping to do a foundation year in order to go to uni. My grades are bad because of mental health btw.

It's usually quite low for instance a foundation year in Solent leading on to a degree is 48 UCAS points you get that you can get in easy no?

Quick Reply

Latest